Grouvee Food: Brews

Had a guinness in dublin over the weekend, allegedly the best that guinness can offer. Veredict? Still meh

anteater

5 Likes

Better than any ‘irish’ drink the yanks can make, though. green beer, my arse.

2 Likes

All respect to the heritage of Guinness, but like many other mass produced beers, it’s a mass produced beer. There are very few mass produced beers made by one of the brewing giants that hasn’t traded ingredient integrity for cost savings. Also Guinness has fully embraced chilling their draft to a cooler temperature and now also infuses the beer with nitrogen, both of which leads to what I think is a less tasty stout. Personally I think there are far more interesting stouts in the world. I’m also more of a cask draught fan than I am a fan of draught combined with carbon dioxide or nitrogen. Guinness was a great gateway beer that helped me move away from big brand lagers when I was nineteen, but I think there is a world of more interesting beer out there.

2 Likes

I know American’s have historically been the butt of most nation’s jokes about bad beer, but the US has significantly grown up and plenty of their indie beer producers are making some superb beers, and have been for more than a decade or two. Stouts included.

3 Likes

I meant drinks that are promoted as ‘irish’ for st paddy’s day (it IS paddy’ day by the way, I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise) but have little or nothing to do with irish culture. No hate to your beer, just you have to admit green beer is incredibly tacky and silly.

2 Likes

I’m not American, but the green beer thing is super weird and some people do it in Canada too. I think people even die Guinness, which end up just having a green head. But I’ve never really bought into drinking for St. Patrick’s day. Arguably it’s probably not as bad as dying the river green.

What else would it be? Or are you saying it’s St. Paddy’s and not St. Patrick’s Day?

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s particular from the US though. Probably most countries that don’t have a beer tradition are experimenting a lot and with great success. I know my country has a lot of very good craft beers but no one knows about them because we’re the butt of the world.

2 Likes

I agree but the US has been particularly experimental for a while now. Compare to somewhere like Belgium where they’ve been pretty stable for some time (why wouldn’t you be if you’re Belgian!). In Canada we’ve had waves but it varies from Province to Province. Quebec, Thr Maritimes and the West Coast were really pushing boundaries over a decade ago, and there’s still interesting things coming out of those regions, but Canada is bad about inter-Province trade. Ontario has been up and down, with periods of fresh ideas, followed by indies being bought out by the big brewers. I think we are in an indie upswing again with interesting things happening but I often wonder how long it will last.

3 Likes

I agree to some extent. Germany, Czechia or even the UK have a smaller (or younger) experimental scene in comparison to their markets, as there are styles that have been there for generations. It’s easier to experiment when you don’t have a high bar to measure yourself against.

Interestingly, I think I have never had a Canadian beer.

2 Likes

Don’t drink the big name Canadian beers like Labatt or Molson. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment. And lots of smaller brewers were bought out by those two companies, and they replaced quality ingredients with things like cheap corn mash. If you can find beer by breweries like Dieu du Ciel, you’ll be in for a treat.

3 Likes

I’m saying that a lot of americans say ‘st. patty’s day’ when referring to st. patrick’s day, when the accepted irish name for it is ‘st. paddy’s day’ as paddy is short for patrick.
Funny enough, we wouldn’t even think of dying a river green in ireland, the homeland of paddy’s day. Funny how they celebrate it I guess.

2 Likes

Well, you know Americans :roll_eyes::rofl:

2 Likes

I resemble that remark. Lol

4 Likes

Well I tried one more Tinto de Verano, and I think I’m done trying for now. Just did a red wine and a sprite over ice. It was fine. I might just not be into this drink or at least the American approximation of this drink.

3 Likes

In March of 2020, there was like a two day news cycle where Lori Lightfoot, the then Mayor of Chicago, said nothing, not even a global pandemic, would stop Chicagoans from dying the river green for St. Paddy’s Day followed the next day by cancelling the dying of the river and announcing the COVID-19 quarantine.

4 Likes

Someone dared the universe. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It was the opposite where I live, 110k people attended a music festival after the WHO declared it as a global pandemic. It took my government another 2 weeks to announce the quarantine.

2 Likes

Well of course. If The Who were in some way associated I’m sure plenty of fans would go there!

3 Likes

I see what you did there. :grin:

3 Likes

Gunna try a whiskey and a whisky tonight. I’ll update later

3 Likes