Grouvee Food: Bites

That reminds me a lot of my recipe of shredded beef that I prepare for the marvel that is a “carne mechada italiana”

5 Likes

I work in hospitality. One of the big perks of hospitality is getting to eat the food wealthy people didn’t eat. This morning that is a breakfast smoked salmon pizza thing. Basically a traditional smoked salmon with a cream cheese and capers spread on a pizza crust. It’s good and simple. I might try to make it at home!

4 Likes

Salmon, cream cheese and avocado is top tier. Tuna/albacore and avocado are also amazing.

3 Likes

I made Brian Lagerstrom’s extra crispy onion rings and chipotle ranch. They turned out great!

5 Likes

I don’t know what ranch is and this is probably the first time I ask: What is ranch?

3 Likes

Assuming you are talking about the condiment and not the place cows are raised lol.

Ranch dressing is a savory, creamy American salad dressing usually made from buttermilk, salt, garlic, onion, mustard, herbs (commonly chives, parsley and dill), and spices (commonly pepper, paprika and ground mustard seed) mixed into a sauce based on mayonnaise or another oil emulsion.

Basically a salad dressing made of spices and mayo

4 Likes

The lifeblood of the US.

2 Likes

Gimme some cheese curds and a side of ranch and I’ll sing God Bless America.

3 Likes

Had to google what buttermilk is because that’s not an ingredient I can easily think of a substitute in Spanish. But from what I understand, it’s basically cream, mayo and spices? I think it might be similar to a sauce I’ve never known the name that I see served in every Peruvian restaurant, which is amazing.

5 Likes

I think buttermilk is just fermented milk. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. It has tangy, sour taste to it.

3 Likes

It’s the milk left over from the churning process, and yes slightly fermented. I believe it’s now just directly processed from raw milk and not only made from the remnant liquid because industry.

2 Likes

It’s a thing people in the US are obsessed with for some reason. It’s like salad cream but with more herbs and spices. It’s conceivably my least favourite thing to put on salad (tied with salad cream if I’m being honest), my least favourite flavour of crisps and, while it’s nice with hot chicken wings, blue cheese dressing is a far better choice in that scenario :wink:

2 Likes

I can’t think of anything similar to buttermilk from when I lived and worked in Spain. It’s popular in other European, middle eastern, North African and some Asian countries. It’s is essentially a rich and tangy milk. Because it’s naturally fermented it’s fantastic for baking when you need something acidic to react with a base for leavening, so you’ll often see it used in things like pancakes to help make them fluffy (and tasty).

2 Likes

I think plain ranch has grown boring for me, but the chipotle ranch (which has a chipotle pepper blended in among other items) makes for a nice dipping sauce. It worked well with the onion rings and I saved the rest and had it with fries. My wife and I went to a pan-Asian restaurant last night and had Satsumaimo which they served with… A chipotle ranch (and a few other dipping sauces). Definitely not authentic, but it was tasty.

2 Likes

The best ranch I’ve ever had comes from Denny’s. I managed to get some once but you have to mix it in a bucket with the wet ingredients and I couldn’t replicate it in a smaller batch.

3 Likes

I made Ina Garten’s coconut macaroons. IDK how popular these are outside the USA, but they’re a simple treat. Good if you like coconut and your sweets sweet.

5 Likes

Went to Breakfast. We were not prepared for the sheer volume of food. Proportions were insane.
Lemon pie Beignetes, a chonk of cornbread. Yes thats cornbread and not cake.
And finally chicken fried steak, potatoes, onions and peppers, cheese and a biscuit and gravy. I ate 1/3rd at best before feeling incredibly full.

4 Likes

This both looks delicious and like I want to be sick just by looking at it

4 Likes

Oh i totally understand. It was outstanding but so much. Like a ridiculous amount…

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear you’re still with us after that meal!

I can put some damn food away, but that would have humbled me I think. I also would have had a headache for a year after that.

3 Likes