Grouvcast Episode 10 - We did another one!

@Jess and I did another podcast for you!

There’s a new human around my house, so I’ve been kind of MIA. I’m not promising any kind of regular return here, but we’ll try and do an episode here and there.

Give it a listen and let us know what you think!

2 Likes

If you still have physical games you want to offload you might want to consider a fundraising raffle. Perhaps to raise funds for Grouvee. That may be a fun and productive way to de-clutter your game collection. You’ll raise some money for overhead, de-clutter and people will score themselves new games. Everyone wins :wink:

1 Like

I really feel the pain about old games. There is a small cupboard in the corner of my living room which is full of games and DVDs. Old ones, mostly from between 2000 and 2005. I wanted to get rid of them for years now, but I just never found the motivation to do so. Now I cope with it by trying to ignore that it exists.

I really, really, want to get rid of those games, but it’s like… every way I can think of to get rid of them involves doing something. And doing something about it is definitely less effort than doing nothing. It’s not like I want to sell the games or anything, I really just want to them go away. Basically, somebody should come here and pick them up. Anything else would be way too much effort. And of course, that’s not going to happen.

The root of the problem probably is that I could use the space for something else, but I don’t actually need it, so I just don’t have enough motivation to care about it.

Edit:
Here you go

And it looks like those are mostly jewel cases, so I’m pretty sure that there is a box or something around here with the games came in big boxes.

Also, I just noticed that I could, in theory, probably try to run some of the games. A few years ago I brought a USB DVD drive home from work. I never opened the box, and it’s is now sitting in the opposite corner of the living room, as door stopper.

1 Like

That’s pretty much how I feel.

I’ll get a picture up of my junk here a little later.

I’ve down sized a bit since building the retropie station. I’m starting to like empty spaces.
On a tangent…does anyone want some anime VHS? I have the following, for free:

5 or 6 tapes of Escaflowne series
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Akira
Ninja Scroll
2 tapes of Blue Submarine #6
Ghost in the Shell

Maybe some others I have forgotten.

I will even ship for free. I just want someone to have the tapes that will actually enjoy them.

1 Like

I think this is somewhat relevant to the discussion of getting rid of things people collect over time:

The $5,000 decision to get rid of my past

1 Like

That was a good read! Thanks for sharing.

That was a lot sadder than I thought it was going to be!

It’s a good, quick read though.

Thankfully I don’t really have any painful memories to go with my game collection :slight_smile: The only pain they cause me is the anxiety of clutter in my house.

1 Like

…he should have opened those boxes and played those games. No wonder he was miserable. XD

Let’s all just take a moment to appreciate the joy that is emulation (or wiistore or steam if you like buying stuff) because physical collections suck. I can relate to the VHS and DVD stuff… I never even watch movies (I dont have that many though, a lot of them are gifts) but VHS is a real problem. My mother had this thing where she would record stuff on tv all the time and buy blank tapes, so their house is full of VHS tapes of just random crap. lol they have this thing where whenever someone throws the trash out they put 3 tapes on top of the trashcan, to slowly get rid of them all. It will take forever.

I used to be so against emulation just a few short years ago. Now I realize it’s pretty much necessary at this point if you want to experience certain games without spending a fortune.

As for the DVD/Blu Ray thing (thankfully I don’t have anymore VHS tapes), I’ve really come to embrace Plex. I’ve been slowly ripping my movie collection and storing it on a media server. It’s taken me a while to figure out the best settings for ripping and compressing, but I’m really happy with the solution I’ve come up with. I mostly just keep the discs in a box after I rip them, but I guess I could just get rid of them if I wanted to. I haven’t decided if that’s “wrong” to do yet.

1 Like

At one point, early in the DVD era, I owned an embarrassingly large DVD collection. But it didn’t take me long to abandon physical Film media. I fortunately transitioned from needing to own films to simply recognizing that access is what is important. As long as I can access films, be they via streaming services, rental, VOD, files or other, in content. We have unprecedented access to media and I no longer feel the need to own my films.

I imagine one day the same might apply to games, when the ability to stream or play them from the cloud surpasses the advantages of having your own copy of a game.

1 Like

that’s how i feel as well. The trouble is stuff that is unpopular or rare. I tend to have a concern over a lot of things that might just ‘disappear’ due to a lack of interest (And i’m talking about older games and respective platforms) There are VHS archivists who comb through old rental stores and rip stuff with intent of sharing. Foreign films, all kinds of weird crap, etc. Last year I came across something loosely related to this and found it amusing. but i’m jacking this thread a bit with my angle on this.

So… It could be worse. At least we ‘might’ play these old games we collect… But how would you like to be the guy who winds up with a 30 year old span of Muazak on cassette? Or buys everything in the basement of a Video Rental store for a few hundred? in high school i had a plan to buy as many atari 2600 games as i could (they were just so cheap!). i’m glad i didnt pursue that plan lol

I won’t scare you with statistics about the early part of film history, and the sheer number of old films that are completely lost each day due to deterioration. We have lost more early films than fathomable and it happens at a rate archivists can’t keep up with. It’s quite sad. And then there’s the stuff that’s not lost or deteriorating but simply housed in archives and inaccessible to the general public. The material I’ve seen while researching in archives is mind blowing and it’s stuff almost no one sees unless they are researching or someone pulls it for exhibition or curation, and given the amount stored in archives, the latter barely scratches the surface.

I accept two things when it comes to access to rare film (or any media for that matter): that there are more films made than I can ever see; and that there are more things lost to time (or lost in archives) that render the ability to access what I can something to cherish. It’s true that there at some point I’ll lose access to something, but there will always be more to access somewhere else. Essentially I have accepted that I can’t worry about what I can’t get my hands on and that I need to appreciate what I can.

2 Likes