Games to Start Your Year - 2023

Happy New Year everyone!

2023 is here, so I’m curious what game are people playing, or planning to play, to start off your year? Let everyone know in the thread below. I’ve decided to play Ghost of a Tale, an indie I backed years and years ago.

6 Likes

I’m currently installing Fallout 4: GOTY on PC. Last I played it was when it was first released on PS4 and I want to go through all of them again eventually. Say what you will about how buggy these games can be, the lore is just so amazing that I can spend hours watching lore videos on YouTube regarding Fallout and The Elder Scrolls.

4 Likes

Nice topic. It’s either going to be Axiom verge 2 or Pokemon Violet. Probably flick between both. Later on I’ve got Sports Story (waiting for a patch based on the early reviews) and Tales of Arise.

4 Likes

I noticed afterwards that the other thread was for 2022 ! Oh well

Pokemon Scarlet is progressing nicely; I have all but one badge now

4 Likes

I’m starting the year with King’s Valley for the MSX! It’s been a long journey, but I only have 2 levels left as of today! Great platformer with puzzle elements and an action-adventure framework of adventuring through pyramids, able to go back and forth, etc.

3 Likes

I’ve started this year in Xenoblade Chronicles Def. Ed. on Switch but my real game goal this year is to start and finish Xenoblade Chronicles 3!

There are other games this year I’m eager for, but perhaps none as big as…Tears of the Kingdom.

3 Likes

Happy New Year!

Thank you for the interesting question.

I started my year with Days Gone and so far I am happy with it. I haven’t played the usual open world game for a while, so I see that it fits into that but for me it is fun enough and fresh. I would say so far (30% in) somewhat above average and I like the main protagonist a lot that seems to have upset so many players. The only bad thing is that the weapon wheel sometimes does not work properly with mouse and keyboard for me, annoying when fighting a zombie horde.

When the visting family is finally gone home again tomorrow (I love them but after 21 days I want my home for myself again), I am happy to have time to go back to the game and finish the story. I might even do a bit of collecting the tourist signs, because the world is really beautiful, especially now that it has started to snow ingame. I might have to check real photographs of Oregon and compare them to the game. I really love when games let me visit places far away that are real, even with an overlay of zombie apocalypse gore :smiley: .

I wish everyone a great gaming year with many positive surprises!

4 Likes

I actually erased my PSP memory card in an ill-fated experiment, so I quickly re-played PaRappa the Rapper, Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake and Dracula X Chronicles

This morning, I actually played through TMNT [GBA], which was pretty short. The GBA version doesn’t seem to be listed here. This is the game that’s actually called “TMNT” [based on the 2007 CGI movie], not the…not any of the many games called “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”

These, I think, were the guys who would go on to make Scott Pilgrim and Shredder’s Revenge. They should make a “Martial Law” game [old TV show]; any show with a gang of guys could work

3 Likes

Right now playing Middle earth shadow of war , next persona 3 and 4 then olliolli world.

3 Likes

I’ve been gradually playing through Sonic Frontiers (my Christmas present), and have been enjoying that. I also picked up a couple small games to mess with from the Switch eshop sale: Tomomi, a cute pixel metroidvania; and Luna’s Fishing Garden, a cute pixel fishventure.

Interestingly, it seems Tomomi is not on Grouvee. There is a “Tomomi,” but it’s a different game with the same name. Guess I’ll look into adding it.

3 Likes

I finally got around to playing through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night–this was the main reason I got a PSP back in the day [I was on a Castlevania kick at the time]

It didn’t get added to my “Played” list because it’s an extra on Dracula X Chronicles[PSP] which is already listed

3 Likes