Game related novels

Today, through a review on Grouvee, I found out that there are Halo novels and I will have a look at them to see if I like them.

I wonder what novels you like that either inspired games (the Witcher series comes to mind) or games that were made after the games (I own an Assassin’s Creed novel but haven’t read it yet).

I know there’s a huge connection between video games and manga that I haven’t explored at all, because the only manga I’ve read so far is the first One Piece manga. I played Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi when they cry) and loved it, and I know there is a manga or even several series for it.

Hoping for some book recommendations from you!

Are there books that are really bad and do a disservice to the games? Games that are worse than the books that inspired them?

5 Likes

I knew about the Halo novels but haven’t read them yet. I read the God of War comic book series published by WildStorm but didn’t like it that much, I’ve yet to read the Dark Horse Comics one. I also read the first 32 issues of Sonic the Hedgehog by IDW Publishing, it’s really good, gotta catch up though haven’t read it in a while.

As for games inspired by manga, I love playing fighting games based on shounen battle manga. I’ve been a fan of DBZ games since childhood, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was my favorite from the PS2 era and FighterZ has elevated the franchise to the next level. The recent announcement of a new Budokai Tenkaichi is like a dream come true for me. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles are pretty entertaining as well. Regarding other genres, I recently bought Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment which is a JRPG, not sure what to expect though. And I’d like to play Attack on Titan someday, it seems to have some interesting and fun mechanics.

4 Likes

The Dead Space prequel novel is a goddamn miracle.

It’s called Martyr and it takes place centuries before the games, with the discovery of the first Marker on earth. It’s a really amazing and terrifying story.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the recommendation, I will look into it! Seems German translations are available too! :hugs:

1 Like

If you are going to read any Halo novel, I would read Halo: The Fall of Reach and decide from there if you want to continue. It is a great companion piece to the games especially the game adaptation.

3 Likes

If I’m not forgetting anything, I have read just two books that could be in that category.

The first one would be the first Geralt de Rivia book. It was… fine. Not really interested in continue with the saga for now.

The second one is a videogame adaptation. Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth. It was entertaining, but not much more. Too predictable.

2 Likes

I started reading Star Wars Jedi: Battle Scars, the story about what happens to Cal Kestis and the Mantis crew between Fallen Order and Survivor. So far I’m really liking it and I love that it has complete chapters focusing on Merrin, my favorite character.

But I really struggling to find free time to read, especially now that I’m finally back in the gym.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d second The Fall of Reach and add Contact Harvest as highlights from the Halo books. There’s been a ton of authors so I find there’s a wide range of styles and quality. However, there is a lot of pretty fascinating background/world building that would probably appeal if you’re a fan of the stories in the games.

2 Likes