Feedback, suggestions, say hi!

Be great if you could choose the platform as you are adding the game. Not after the fact in your games list

1 Like

oh duh, it was right in front of me. thanks! Guy sounds like a pain. I donā€™t know much about this stuff, but maybe you could block his IP address? I donā€™t even know if thatā€™s possible, just thought Iā€™d throw it out there. :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I came here looking for a Goodreads for videogames and I think that I found it, so thank you Peter. I have one suggestion:

• Add game trailers (kinda like it is in steam), could be the release trailer published in youtube and screenshots are not necessary in my opinion
1 Like

Can you please add a way to word search games within your library? It would be so helpful.

2 Likes

Hey all! Iā€™m Ash, I just joined. c: I like the clean, crisp look of Grouvee so far! Nice to meet you all.

Gonna go fill in my library some more! Just wanted to say hi~ :sparkles:

3 Likes

Hello. Welcome to the site.

1 Like

Is there a way to add custom games? I really love the way this site is laid out and being able to add custom games not currently on the database would make it perfect.

Many times I have searched for games and they do not show up in the database. Just as an example, an android game named Tap Titans is not there.

1 Like

The site uses the Giant Bomb API. So, currently the best way to add a game that is missing is to add it to the Giant Bomb wiki and then it will show up here. I believe Peter is working on something so that certain users will be able to add content straight to the Grouvee site.

1 Like

This is correct. Iā€™m taking way longer than I want to on it though.

2 Likes

HI I have teh following suggestion.
Add personal tags to the we have added to our lists. It would make things much easier for me who play on diffferent platforms and also use services like ps plus.
Would make this site even more perfect.

1 Like

This is probably far out of my league as Iā€™m just getting into programming myself. However, isnā€™t there a way to add multiple APIā€™s?

The way Iā€™m thinking it would work is:

• Create or add a wiki page to the site
  • Add another function which strictly adds the content to that wiki page. So only custom games would get redirected to that wiki.

Like I said, far out of my league and probably have no idea what Iā€™m talking about lol

1 Like

A lot of people use custom shelves as a way to do tags. Iā€™ve built the API for being able to look at multiple shelves at once (i.e. you have a Played and a PS Plus shelf, you could see whatā€™s on both of them), I just havenā€™t built the UI part where you can actually use it!
I think that will take care of what you want when I get it finished.

1 Like

Personally, I wouldnā€™t mind seeing the shelf concept go away. I know it is modeled after Goodreads, but shelves are cumbersome. Changing the concept of shelves to simply be tags would be great. That way I can simply have a game in my library and then tag it with whatever I want. Couple that with the work you are doing on pulling the platforms outside of the shelves and I would be in heaven.

1 Like

I donā€™t do any work on the site, so I might be slightly wrong here. However, Peter does have it set up so that Grouvee creates a local version of the data from the Giant Bomb API. There can therefore be local data for that game and the data pulled from Giant Bomb. That system inherently provides for the ability to add local copies of data without external data being present. It is just a matter of programming the site to know how to handle showing the local vs external data. This is partly done with box art. There is an ability for different box art to be uploaded to the site. If it is present, then it shows over the external box art from the Giant Bomb API. That is a little easier to handle than having a game added locally and then potentially having it added to Giant Bomb after the fact. You then have to determine how much of the details are present in each place and figure out what to show. It is something Peter is working on. The foundation is in place. The execution takes some work to make sure things are handled well in all situations.

2 Likes

I actually have named you the new spokesman for the site :smile:

headrollsoffā€™s description is pretty spot on. The only other thing to add is Iā€™m trying to figure out the best way to reconcile the fact that if we add a game to the Grouvee database, and they add it later on Giant Bomb, itā€™ll be duplicated on Grouvee. One solution would be to create a merge function, but then weā€™d just be merging a lot. The other would be to add an extra step to the import, but then weā€™d be checking the import every day to see if any duplicates are being imported. Iā€™m leaning more towards creating a merge functionality and just doing it that way. I donā€™t think it would be that big of an issue if that worked pretty well.

1 Like

I am okay with that. Iā€™ll need some kind of release notes for site changes so I know what I am talking about. :grin:

1 Like

If I understand this correctly, you would be creating a function where if a duplicate does occur, Giant Bomb would overwrite the local data? The extra step seems like a tedious job to manage and could take time from working on other things.

Sorry I have a tendency to just throw out questions and ideas :smiley:

1 Like

If there was a duplicate, which there already are in the Grouvee database, Iā€™d have some code merge them together, and then keep the game up to date correctly with whatā€™s in Giant Bomb. If we have local data that is more correct than their data, it wouldnā€™t get over written by Giant Bombā€™s data. I donā€™t think itā€™ll be too bad to write the merge code and the duplicate finder code to be honest.

1 Like

When you say it like that it makes sence and I agree after having tried it out a little.
I also look forward to the new functions.
What about new games?
Does this site only add games that have been released?
Can we users contribute to add new games or do we need to ask someone or post it somewhere.
If the answer to the first qquestion is no I would like to ask that we get an opportunity to do so, maybe like goodreads where every user wanting to add new stuff have to send a request or maybe that we can do it freely but it has to be apporved first.

1 Like

The site uses the Giant Bomb API to pull game data. This includes upcoming, unreleased games when they are added there. Currently, the only way for users to add games is to go to Giant Bomb and add it to their wiki. For instance, I just added Parallax and Choice of Robots to there last week so they would show up here. Peter is working on a system that would let users of Grouvee add games directly. It would be tied into some kind of approval process.

2 Likes