Favorite Final Bosses

SA-X from Metroid Fusion. I hated the helplessness of encounters with this thing. It was relentless.

YouTube - Skip to 30 seconds for walking death!

2 Likes

Did you ever play the sequel and if so what did you think of its final boss? It played out relatively the same, especially when heights come into play.

2 Likes

It’s been a couple years still, and yet this “boss” fight still tugs at me, and is very memorable. Such a great end to an amazing game.

2 Likes

Had to look it up on Youtube to remember it. Yeah, I don’t care for it at all – just a series of jumping challenges in an overly psychedelic background world. Gouji was just a lot lamer too, not a fan of the voice they gave him in Future. And he turns into Mewtwo for some reason.

I know the game has its ardent fans, but I like very little about Jet Set Radio’s Xbox sequel – it felt very pointless and soulless to me. It’s largely why I’m like the one Jet Set Radio fan who isn’t clamoring for a new installment.

2 Likes
3 Likes

While it’s not the most intense or greatest, It’s one crazy looking eye-popping-candy battle:

Mother Brain from Super Metroid

5 Likes

Definitely be interested if they ever polished this game for newer consoles.

1 Like

grafik
Now that I’ve finished Drakensang, I must say that the final boss, while not being a particularly interesting character, makes for a real epic fight. It’s amazing how they got the difficulty just right. There are quite a few tough fights in this game, but the final one is by far the toughest of them all. And that’s the way it should be. Took me at least seven tries.

2 Likes

I love the vibe and how hard it was the battle against Braska’s Final Aeon (Jecht) on FFX.
The heavy metal music in the background, the one hour-long battle that builds a lot of tension and of course the visuals.

PAD_Braska's_Final_Aeon

4 Likes

My fave would probably be Kefka in FFIII (SNES) because I’d never ever experienced a multi-stage boss like that and the music track was epic. The visuals were amazing. But also, maybe most of all, Kefka was the villain you love to hate b/c he was so evil, so when you finally made it to fight him, it was such a long journey/build-up, so the battle and subsequent denouement totally paid off.

2 Likes

That one was pretty epic, and very challenging.

2 Likes

Also, runner up, the giant beating heart at the end of Contra (NES). So rad. And gross. It beats faster the more you shoot it. Explode it, fly away, boom.

1 Like

I just checked out Bloodletter’s stats in Warhammer: Age of Sigmar (AoS), the tabletop miniature game. What a disappointment. I mean, I’d already heard that he’s not as strong in AoS as I found him to be in Mordheim, but still: in AoS, Bloodletters are like a standard mass infantry unit for their faction! They come in units of at least 10 models! One Bloodletter model costs 11 points, compared to 6 points for a Skaven Clanrat,* meaning that 2 skaven can already take on a Bloodletter. In Mordheim, however, a single Bloodletter regularly wiped out my entire warband of 10 skaven!

*Unless we take the Skaven in a Mordheim warband to more closely resemble the Skaven Gutter Runners in AoS, which cost 12 points each – meaning that a single one of them is already stronger than a Bloodletter.

1 Like

I just re-played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for my Grouvee Record, and I thought–here is one of the best final bosses of all time

Playing tennis with Ganondorf–getting out with Zelda while the tower implodes–then he bursts out and gets so mad he turns into a Pig–and Navi joins in this time–

That’s how you do a final boss, I think

1 Like

I like this fight a lot but it is more-or-less a rough translation of the final fight in ALttP into 3D.

Personally, I think the most compelling boss of any 3D Zelda game remains Puppet Ganon from The Wind Waker. Absolutely brilliant.

2 Likes

I’ve played through ALttp and Wind Waker, but not for years. Will have to try to get through them again someday

I suppose the Ocarina one sticks out to me because it’s a favorite [among the Zelda series]

1 Like

The OoT fight is fun. For me it was enjoyable because it was neat to see how they took the ideas from ALttP and translated them to this new format. So to a degree I enjoyed the nostalgia of it. Puppet Ganon on the other hand is one of the series most novel and interesting bosses, coupled with the fact that it’s simply gorgeous.

2 Likes