Favorite Books?

Oh, I’m definitely participating in this!

I can’t actually add a few of my favourites through this nice little graphics tool, because they were never translated, but just know that Mikita Franko’s Die Lüge and Anja Jonuleit’s Das letzte Bild would also be on there! As well as Octavia Cade’s The Impossible Resurrection of Grief

I love reading and am fairly quick, so I get through a fair amount of books a year

7 Likes

I just started reading Writing on the Wall by Maddie Pelling. It’s a look at the culture of Britain during the long 18th century through the graffiti left by people of the time. Really fascinating stuff, from leading to a murder being solved and more.

I’d also highly recommend her podcast if you like historical stuff with a slightly weird twist.

2 Likes

Wow I did not know graffiti went back all the way to the 18th century.

2 Likes

It goes further than that, but it was in the 17th/18th century that it began to be officially recorded, at least in Britain.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Proof:

:grin:

4 Likes

no image, but here’s a list of my faves! i’ve been trying to get back into reading as of late.

• I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream - Harlan Ellison
  • To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants + The Second Summer of the Sisterhood - Ann Brashares
  • Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke - Eric LaRocca
  • Moonlight City Drive - Brian Paone
  • Ghostgirl + Homecoming - Tonya Hurley

i know it’s short, but hopefully i’ll get more books on the list! i’ve got an entire summer, and lots of books to go through - right now, my biggest priorities are my new collection of Harlan Ellison books and the Hannibal quadrilogy by Thomas Harris.

i started reading (and ADORED) Audition by Ryū Murakami last year, but i never finished it for some reason… the movie is one of my faves of all time, though. ive also been eyeing Carlton Mellick III for a few years now, but i just havent gotten around to it yet. i do have 2 collections of short bizarro fiction stories though!

i got really off subject i think, but i just like talking about books a lot :o)

4 Likes

You should check out House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, its absolutely outstanding. Id also recommend Catch 22, though I dont remember the author off the top of my head. Also anything by Markus Zusak, but most specifically I Am the Messenger or Bridge of Clay. His writing is beautifully emotional and feels relatable in a way Ive rarely found otherwise.

2 Likes

ive had house of leaves on my reading list for about a year now! it looks so good.

ill check the others out also, thank you!

3 Likes

All Lovecraft’s writting. He is a pioneer of classic horror with some really insightful stories that show us how he felt the world he lived in at the time.

Blindsight - Peter Watts
Metro 2033
IT
Prince of thorns trilogy

3 Likes

While I read a lot of manga and graphic novels, I’m just going to list some of my favorite novels (and the occasional art book).

• Babel by R.F. Kuang
  • Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
  • Your Name by Makoto Shinkai
  • Boy’s Life by Robert R. McCammon
  • A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
  • Momentary by Ilya Kuvshinov
  • All Systems Red by Martha Wells
  • The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter
4 Likes

Oooh, I’ve been meaning to read All Systems Red. That’s the first book in Well’s series about the anti-social murderbot who really just wants to be left alone, correct?

2 Likes

That’s right! I’ve read the first three so far. I enjoyed the first book the most while the other two I rated 3 out of 5 stars. Not bad but not as great. I own the entire series so I’m hoping I’ll find new favorites farther down the line.

1 Like

really insightful stories that show us how he felt the world he lived in at the time.

You mean how there were too many non-white/ working class people in it? :rofl:

I’m wondering if I need to change my list now given all the stuff thats come out about Gaiman. :pensive:

3 Likes

Oh no. What did he do. First Dave Grohl, now Gaiman?

1 Like

Multiple people came forward to say that he sexually assaulted them.

2 Likes

Dear lord. I’m not the biggest fan of his but that’s disappointing. What disgusting behavior.

1 Like

Dave Grohl, though? What did he do?

How do people feel about the separate the art from the artist take? In the case of some vile artists, I might be inclined to say I don’t want to financially support them. But in the case of someone like Lovecraft who is long dead, can you enjoy his writings knowing who he was?

2 Likes

He had a child outside of his marriage very recently. It’s not a great look, but I don’t think he’s quite on the level of Gaiman’s accusations.

3 Likes

No but he had the illusion of being a “super nice guy” and turns out he’s been a shitty partner over and over and over to everyone he’s been with.

Gaiman’s is definitely much worse. Big difference of being a bad partner versus being a criminal.

3 Likes