Favorite Books?

Following PyramidHeadcrab’s list of favorite games from Topster, I created one of my favorite books. I cheated a little by including some box sets/anthologies for some of my favorite multi-book series. Anyway, here’s my list

5 Likes

I don’t read a lot of books these days but one of my favorites ever is Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. Really cool concept and a quick, fun read.

4 Likes

I’ve not read frequently enough after young adulthood (or maybe still in it?) to have a list that reflects my favorites throughout my entire life. I’d like to change that given how often I used to read. I’ll see if I can think of 25, but might just post 16 or 9 instead.

Included a few series since they cannot exist separately in my mind anymore.

3 Likes

Making this made me realize how hard it is for me to think of my favs off the top of my head. I mostly went off of my goodreads and what I found looking over my shelves at home. I bundled book series together so when you see a single volume of a series, I’m including the entire series, except for Hitchhiker’s Guide because I’ve only read 1-3.

If you couldn’t tell, I like stuffy classics and graphic novels/manga. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Huh, I was actually going to start a thread asking if anyone used anything like StoryGraph, so glad I found this thread.

I consider myself a fairly big reader, but admittedly 80-90% of that is comics/ graphic novels. Anyway, my top 20, in no particular order, are as follows;

Probably others, but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Sorry I couldn’t make a cool graphic like you guys. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Making charts or lists like these always makes me realize how I really need to revisit some of my long-standing favourites because some of these I’ve last read (at least all the way through) over a decade ago.

5 Likes

I read Gary Webb’s Dark Alliance a few years back about connections between the CIA and drug smuggling. That sent me down a bit of a conspiracy rabbit hole and now I’m reading Whitney Webb’s (as far as I know, no relation) One Nation Under Blackmail about the connections between Epstein and American intelligence. I have to say, it’s very compelling. Combined with the Netflx series about Danny Casolaro and Wendigoon’s video about the JFK assassination, I’m quickly becoming a bit of conspiracy theorist about how American intelligence has engaged in a criminal behavior within the US.

2 Likes

Gotta ask; how did you make that?

1 Like

It’s a website! It’s called https://topsters.org/
That makes it easy to craft these lists of favourites. I think the original was for music, but this one has all kinds.

2 Likes

Sadly it fell at the first hurdle. Search couldn’t find just a regular copy of The Hobbit, only companion books or international editions :pensive:

Ha, I just went and checked. You’re right!! How wacky is that? That would be like Grouvee not having The Legend of Zelda in the database.

2 Likes

Or, you know, something good. :wink:

3 Likes

Gosh i just dont read anymorre. But the few i remember regularly

The Road - Cormac Mcarthy
Lord of the rings and all that stuff
Almost any Chuck Palh…phali…the fight club guy.
Eragon series (dont talk to me about the movie)
Literrally anything by Zusak, The messenger being a favorite, bridge of clay close second.
The afterblight omnibus books
Neil gaiman

Theres some more but im not near my bookshelf.

2 Likes

Gosh i just dont read anymorre

It always surprises me when people say this, or “I don’t read.” I’m not judging, I know time and money comes into it, but man, I wouldn’t cope without something to read. A love the escapism!

3 Likes

I guess i should clarify i more mean not like i used to. Through school and college i would blow through 400 pages or so minimum a day, sometimes more. Shoot when i was like 13 i read harry potter up through about half of book 6 in 3 days. Now though it just isnt as important to me. I read properly like 10 books a year, but half the time its stuff ive read before. Its become like many other hobbies of my past, something i feel guilt over not enjoying as much as i once did or dedicating as much time to.

2 Likes

Wow, I wish I could read that fast/much/ for a long period of time. I do enjoy reading, but at most I can do maybe 20-30 pages in a sitting before I need to do something else.

Most years I read about 20-25 books, but the majority are graphic novels. Actual books is probably like 5-8.

I’m not a fast reader by any means so anything over 200 pages is a real investment for me. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Fair enough lol. We all read different. Im not like bragging or anything, just giving some insight compared to how i used to read

1 Like

I didn’t think you were bragging. Sorry if my post came off as accusitory.

1 Like

No, it didnt lol. I just was rereading mine and felt like it seemed that i was.

2 Likes

I definitely read less than I used to. That’s probably thanks to playing more video games now than I used to. :grin:

2 Likes