Desert Island Videogames

Desert Island Discs is a radio programme broadcast on BBC Radio 4. It was first broadcast on the BBC Forces Programme on 29 January 1942.

It was introduced to the listening public as “a programme in which a well-known person is asked the question, if you were to be cast away alone on a desert island, which eight gramophone records would you choose to have with you, assuming of course, that you had a gramophone and an inexhaustible supply of needles”.

Since its inception, the choice of an additional book and one “luxury” item have been included.

So I ask you, members of the Grouvee community, if you were stuck on a desert island, with whatever hardware required and an electrical supply, what 8 videogames would you want with you? Would they be your Top 8 games of all time? Or would you go for other games in your collection that you know will last and have replay value? Also, just for fun, feel free to include a book and luxury item!

And of course, an explanation for your choices would be great!

I haven’t actually made my list yet, I’ll be back with that after I’ve had a think! Looking forward to your lists! Enjoy!

2 Likes

I would lean towards picking games with lots of replay-ability rather than perhaps, my favorite games.

First is World of Warcraft, both because it’s incredibly addicting and also so I can try and get rescued from my island.

If rescue fails, then here are the other games I’d have with me:

Minecraft - I love just building stuff, its super zen and I can spend hours doing it.

Terraria - Just finished this for the first time last week. But it’s definitely replayable with it’s different modes. Also lots of sandbox potential of just building things.

A RollerCoaster Tycoon game - Either RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic which is 1+2 combined or RCT 3. I spent a great many hours in this game as a kid. Building a park is totally chill.

Rimworld - Not a game I’ve played much, but one that you could definitely sink a lot of hours into. Plenty of time to get good at it!

Kenshi - Another game I’ve hardly touched, but I’m pretty sure you could spend a lifetime playing it.

A CRPG - Not sure what I’d pick, but if I could cheat and get the Spiderweb Software games as a pack, then that is what I’d take for sure. I think it would take more than a lifetime to finish all of those.

American/Euro Truck Simulator - Can look at things that aren’t your deserted island. Not sure which I’d pick. Perhaps we can bundle them too? :laughing:

While we’re bundling games, let’s make RCT 1+2+3 a bundle so I don’t have to pick. :grin:

So there’s my list. Not my most favorite games of all time, but the ones I could be content replaying for thousands of hours (I hope).

5 Likes

I am so bad at narrowing down my choices to such a select few but if I had to, I would pick the following:

• Ys: Memories of Celceta - Simply the best and pinnacle of the series with amazing music, addictive game play, and a fun atmosphere trying to not only find all of your memories, completely fill out the map down to the pixel (frustrating yet so satisfying when you see that 100%), and save the world of course.
  • Garry’s Mod - With so many options within the multiplayer sphere to choose from, (Prop Hunt, Hide and Seek, Trouble in Terrorist Town, etc), and the single player Sandbox components, this game has given me countless hours of just zany fun and I am sure countless more.
  • Silent Hill 2 - Who doesn’t want a bit of paranoia, and existential torment while you are being tormented on a deserted island, and this game delivers the aforementioned in spades mind you.
  • Streets of Rage: Remake - As this is not an official game, it is surprising how well it truly captures the feeling of the franchise better than the official versions do in some regard, and the ability to traverse 70+ different stages through multiple paths and play it with characters that were not even able to be played as just makes this one of the best Beat em’ Up games I have ever played, and would be a good source to let loose some needed, “I am stuck here” frustration out on.
  • Minecraft - I have to agree with @Jess on this one as this game is the example of chill and zen and will allow one to mellow out after a long day of scavenging for real life resources. Also, it might give you ideas on a possible shelter as long as you don’t try to go too Dali on your blueprints.
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - This game is buggy and downright broken at times, but it remains one of the most enjoyable and easy to return to games I have ever come upon and I wish sometimes that I could return to 2011 and experience it anew all over again. No wonder it has been ported so many times… oh and Zenimax likes money. lol
  • Metal Slug: Anthology - As this game holds almost all Metal Slug titles to date, it remains a truly great collection or fast paced running and gunning all while staying relatively true to form from the arcade releases it includes.
  • Golf It - As a huge fan of mini putt, and having played through many a course both as a kid with my dad and as an adult (Am I really that old?!), I have found this game to be one of the best versions of virtual mini golf to ever be released, even surpassing the previously released Golf with your Friends both in skill it takes to do well, the superb level editor right out of the gate that is constantly being added to and tweaked and the sheer enjoyment I get that can only be matched with actual mini golf.
1 Like

Some great answers already! Here’s mine;

1. Metroid Prime Trilogy - I love these games. I could get lost in these games for hours. The atmosphere really takes you away. The original in particular is a masterpiece and although i’ve played through it about 3 times, I wouldn’t mind doing so again. Probably not going to make me feel less lonely though!

2. Phantasy Star Online - Now, assuming I had an internet connection and indeed an active server, here’s another out of this world game I could run around in for ages. One of my all time fave games from back in the day. Enchanting.

3. Pokemon Silver - The best of the pokemon games and large enough to keep me going for a long time. And you could still catch them all in these early games. I’d probably need Gold as well to keep me from going mad about the pokemon not in the game!

4. Worms Armageddon - Now, I always enjoyed playing games that let me control multiple teams at once. Worms would let me create and customise teams and keep detailed stats on them so I could form some kind of league!

5. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - I used to love creating 8 player death matches, me vs 7 CPUs on a randomly generated map and over a number of hours, build up a force that could pick off their bases one at a time, usually by carpet bombing their most important facilities. That never gets old!

6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Here’s a big game that I’ve only played through once but really wish I had the time to do a couple more of. Being so big and so free to choose how you beat it adds a lot of replay value, in my opinion.

7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - This was the first elder scrolls game I played and I didn’t really know what I was doing. It’s another big game with multiple ways to go about finishing it, so I would like another crack at it, with the DLC included of course.

8. WWF No Mercy - Simply the best wrestling game out there, even today! I made characters out of my friends, I booked my own shows and wrote them down. I had a proper universe on the go for quite some time. I’d love to start that up again. Plus I never could beat Cactus Jack! I was a rematch ya bastard!

That’s my list! Now when’s my flight?

1 Like

I feel like what game has more replay value matters more than what I love more when it comes to this topic, but even my favorites will end up on this list. I will not be counting free games so no CS:GO although it would’ve been on the list and no internet allowed.

1. Doom Eternal- Without a doubt my favorite FPS of all time. I could play it over and over and never get tired of it. Nightmare difficulty and master levels are what make me want more, demanding the best play out of me that it makes me want to improve. It also includes Doom 1 & Doom 2 so that makes Doom Eternal even more worth it.
  2. Bloodborne - my favorite game of all time. I could get lost in it’s world for weeks on end and it’s another game I would play for a long time
  3. Persona 5 - also my favorite game of all time. This game gives me a relaxing vibe that I wasn’t expecting to want until I played it. Leblanc is a 2nd home and it became a dream of mine to travel to Tokyo.
  4. Borderlands The Handsome Collection - BL2 in particular has a ton of replay value in my eyes. 4 characters, 3 playthroughs per character, including DLC. It also comes with a free game called the PreSequel. :slight_smile:
  5. Breath of the Wild - It’s obvious as to why
  6. Pokemon Soul Silver - has the most content out of any Pokemon game.
    7.Smash Ultimate - It’s Smash Bros. You have a large campaign along with over 70 characters to play as. What’s there not to like?
  7. Super Mario Odyssey - my favorite Mario game and my main source of joy while I’m alone on a deserted island
3 Likes

I have a twist on this, for 3DS fans. Which are the three 3DS games you would take with you to a desert island?

1 Like

Hereos of Might and Magic 3 (with Addons) and Alpha Centauri Crossfire

1 Like

It’s not really a desert island, but I decided to try my first catch 'em all run for Pokemon Gold/Silver earlier this year, because I suspected it would take a lot of time and I’d need to keep busy [at home]

As of tonight, I only have 2 left to catch !

So, I think it’d depend how many days the desert island would be

1 Like

Not necessarily my favorite games of all time, but one I know I can dump my whole soul into!

• 7th Dragon DS - With the 50% encounter rate patch, please. 7th Dragon really does run on top-of-the-line, “ultra pure jrpg energy”. Something about the first entry really grabs me. It’s harder, crustier, and the 2D animated chibis are absolutely adorable. The team synergy is a lot more particular in this one than future entries, so it gives me something extra to chew on.

• SMT RE:IMAGINE - I greatly prefer PSO’s combat (actually, ANY other style of combat) but the loving community, devoted devs and hypnotic soundtrack make it easy to get sucked in. The story isn’t half-bad either, with some great replay value. Hee Ho. :slight_smile:

• TOKIMEKI MEMORIAL GIRL’S SIDE 3RD STORY PSP - I haven’t played the PSP version yet, but I do know it’s an expanded version of the DS release… Which was already massive. A game where you learn something new every time, a game that lets you get comfy or go insane, a game bursting with good memories.

• STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Mineral Town - A loving remake of my favorite Harvest Moon in my favorite town with my favorite characters with the cutest cows of all time ever. Don’t let your dreams be dreams, farm to the extreme!

• Princess Maker 5 - It is not the best Princess Maker. It is not always enjoyable. But boy do I get invested in all the shopping, learning, working, conquering involved with raising a snotty anime child into a proper queen. I’m biased towards this one because I like the hair the most.

• Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness - Yet again, not the best in the series (that would be Disgaea 4 Complete+) but one that claims my heart because I like Laharl that much. A huge game where I lose myself to the quest for the legendary level 9999.

• Dissidia Duodecim - A game I got terribly invested in back in the day. Floaty Final Fantasy physics and particle effects galore make for a good, sparkly time. Firion and Zidane main until death.

• Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code - If only for the character select screen music (which is now stuck in my head).

1 Like

Minecraft
Final Fantasy 9
Super Mario 64
Civilization 4
Shenmue
Crusader Kings 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Morrowind

2 Likes

I feel like this question is so serious i can’t really answer it in a serious way. Literally to be asked “what are the eight games you will play for the rest of your life, knowing you will never play another game and not be doing much else with your life.” :exploding_head:

I’d want them all to be multiplayer games. I would need a few weeks to consider my choices to be really sure, but I came up with three.

Minecraft would be a safe bet and Tabletop Simulator would be another pick.
I think some of my picks might be games I would not normally play/want to play. GTA 5 seems like a must play for this occasion though. (even though i didn’t much enjoy it) I would want this particular game to remind me of the civilization I left from, because of how crappy it portrays it. It would certainly help with sad thoughts I think. It’s also a huge place to explore and a city-based game. So i think it would have immense value in many ways. I would probably do some research and pick a Sims game (4 or 5)

not sure what the remaining four slots would be

1 Like

After 4 months of constant work and game detox I have real problem with that question. I want to lay down on that islands beach and do NOTHING. No PC ever.

1. On a remote island I could finish in peace Witcher 3 from my pile of shame
  2. Heroes of Might and Magic III - it’s actually the first game my mom bought for me
  3. Dragon Age 1, I miss that one
  4. FTL: Faster Than Light
  5. Pixel Puzzles Ultimate
  6. SoulCalibur with internet connection
  7. Some chess program. I actually play in reality, never online.
  8. 3D modeling software like Blender + Photoshop

Best book would be of course something like “SAS Survival Guide”.
For luxury item I want to take my cat for company. :cat: :paw_prints:

2 Likes