December Game Detox

I default to games too easily. It’s eating up more time than I’m comfortable with, and honestly I’m not even playing anything that’s really making me happy right now. A week ago I was just bouncing from game to game on a Saturday, not enjoying any of it. I could have done something else, but my brain likes to make games a top priority for me. So for the month of December I am not going to play anything. Not even a phone game on the toilet. What will I do with the time? I have no idea. But if I never leave myself open to new possibilities (by suffocating my time with games) then nothing will change for me.

Games aren’t bad or anything. I just need to take a step back and see if I’m really spending my time the way I want to.

4 Likes

I get it man. Grouvee came out of being bored with games at one point. Whenever I hit one of these cycles, I just tend to do things that are game adjacent, like a website about video games, or just work on my house. It’ll definitely come back around where you can’t wait to get back into something every night, and won’t feel guilty about it.

2 Likes

I’m the same way about games. I get more fun out of building/fixing consoles, installing games, sampling a few games and really enjoying the art direction, graphics, or just something new.

I go through lulls. Over the summer I didn’t play many games and got outside and gardened, grew herbs and hops for brewing, or just read outside.

The key for me is finding a hobby for each season. Maybe Winter isn’t your time to game. Maybe go for walks, weight lift, draw, play an instrument, or read.

Then when you want to game you’ll feel like you earned it. Just my $.02

1 Like

I’ve got my “game detox” for two months - too much deadlines at job before next year, cleaning home and renovation and organising stuff. I have strength only for comics - just prepared about 1,7 m high Marvel + DC pile of shame for whole winter.

2 Likes

Already I’ve worked on a little video project and experimented with painting with oils - things I never would have done playing Heroes of the Storm all day!

5 Likes

My detox always takes place during the summer. Living in Montana, you gotta enjoy those beautiful days while you can! Then all the new releases hit in the fall and there just aren’t enough hours in the day to play!

2 Likes

You need to share your painting if you want! I started with acrylics. I like how fast they dry. Good ol YouTube and local art classes to learn a few things. I’m still starting out though…

The shadow in the water is from my hand, not intentional :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oof. Can very much relate to the “why am I even playing this/looking at insta/scrolling through Twitter. I’m not even enjoying it”. Good on you for taking a break and resetting your relationship. And hell yeah for busting out oil paints!

1 Like