In times when women had a prescribed role, so called sworn virgins gave up on their sexual and social identities in order to avoid limitations and move freely. These old and dying traditions in patriarchal northern Albania are reflected by three women who, to this day, remain to live as men.
BBC documentary about the same women:
The burrnesha tradition is a centuries old practise in which women swear an oath of celibacy to village elders and live as men. These women are known as the burrneshat, or sworn virgins. But today only a dozen ‘sworn virgins’ of this ancient Balkan tradition are left in the world.
I think this video is a really interesting and heartfelt take of what’s happened over at Microsoft over the last week (also, that iPad ad is just insulting. Hate Apple even more now).
I chose the Xbox One when I got back into console gaming (after the “always online” ridiculousness was cleared up) because they felt like they had Dreamcast-era SEGA energy; an underdog, a company that had the determination to prove their worth, but still not scared to try something differet, or at least allow crazy games on their system . Crimson Dragon, Ryse, the Wolfenstein and Killer Instinct reboots, Sunset Overdrive, they all looked like fun, out there titles.
Now this. The death of creativity. I actually feel bad for not buying Hi-Fi Rush. Sure, I didn’t have the money at the time, but it would have been a two fingered salute to whomever made these decisions. I’m still really keen to play Ghost Wire Tokyo because despite middling reviews it totally looks like my jam. I wish I’d bought it sooner. (Maybe buying it now is an even bigger salute, I don’t know).
At any rate, my hope for MS and Xbox began dying a while ago. Now it’s totally dead. My next major gaming purchase is not gonna be whatever MS’ next console is, but a Steam Deck. I still love my Series X, I just can no longer support its creator.
This guy used to post videos about how to tune some heavy games’s settings so you could play them in low spec PCs, but now he posts animated videos about the history of gaming electronics, such as the gameboy and the PS1. Really cool stuff, it’s one of my favorite channels
I’ve never watched a Jenny Nicholson video before, but the shuttered Star Wars role playing hotel is definitely a topic I am interested in. I figure 95% of people on this site are somewhere on the Star Wars spectrum from passing curiosity to die hard freakazoid* so you might think this is interesting too. She really dives into every aspect of the project (don’t look at the length and just watch until you feel full).
*Is freakazoid an offensive term? I mean it with love. I consider myself a Pokemon freakazoid.
I watched the whole thing and I highly recommend if the video is too long to skim through the live action parts (of course that’s what you want to see) and then to jump to point 19 and 20 (there are time stamps) and watch these.
I believe that the wear and tear of these small spaces inside the hotel with so many people running around in them for hours, especially kids was costing them a lot, also what the cast had to do around the clock … I have to assume they had people drop out of sheer stress and I mean the actors as much as those poor college kids, all of them underpaid and crammed into this place. Also imagine when you can do any repairs - never, you can’t start machinery at night and not everyone will leave the few hours for the park. Everything about this screams expensive nightmare behind the scenes.
When she was so exhausted at the end of the second day I would probably had an heart attack.
All the Gaming University videos on The Psychology of Psychonauts and Psychonauts 2 are great, but this is my favorite so far.
This is an in depth analysis of the theory of archetypes of Jung, behavioral psychology, trauma and more thrugh the leve ‘Cassie’s Collection’ of Psychonauts 2.
You just added SO much hours to my “Watch later” playlist lmao. Thank you, i’ve been struggling to find good videos to watch while having dinner, i’ll be watching all 28 videos.
Painfully honest. Next election for me will be for the European Parliament. I am very, very pro European Union, but we have our fair share of stupid and *ssholery, not to mention the Chinese and Russian spies currently being uncovered.
25 years ago when videos like this got sent to you by email (I feel so old today) and still were able to start a great career:
"Victor Navone (born February 2, 1970 in San Diego, California, USA) is an American character animator at Pixar.
After graduating from high school in 1988, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art from the University of California. He then spent a year traveling and teaching art in France before returning to San Diego in 1993.
For a year he kept his head above water with small jobs until he was employed by the computer game manufacturer Presto Studios.
He caused a worldwide sensation when he created the famous “Alien Song” video - an animated parody of Gloria Gaynor’s number one hit I Will Survive. Victor’s original intention with this film was simply to expand his character animation skills, but the film was met with great enthusiasm from the internet community, which led to it being widely distributed via email.
In fact, one day in December 1999, the film ended up with the Pixar president, who then lobbied for Navone’s employment at Pixar.
Since then, he has worked on films such as Monster Inc, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. "