Thanks for posting! I feel the same as you: while I enjoy “real” artists, I have always been moved by video game music. I think music is one of the main factors in a game. Music is part of what allow games to do what they do. If it’s done well, and if it matches the tone and character of the game or scene, then music can make a space within the game for us to inhabit. A lot of people talk about the intractability as the reason we get so attached to games, but I think true interaction is made possible through music. It puts us into an artistic mode so that we can think with more of our selves than our rational mind. Without music, we would just be watching visuals and pushing buttons.
A few good picks for me are:
- Persona 5, especially “Rivers in a Desert.” The lyrics here are really cool.
- Xenoblade Chronicles. There are few songs on Bionis that aren’t perfectly matched with the area.
- Xenogears, especially “Ship of Sleep and Regret.”
- Ni no Kuni (I and II), the world map music, but, really, it’s all great.
- Bravely Default, especially “Land of Immortality.”
- Child of Light