Would you pay more for no DRM? (Poll Closed)

I would like others’ opinions on how much are you willing to pay for no DRM in your game.
Feel free to comment your reasoning.

Would you pay more for no DRM?

• Yes
  • No
  • Only if the difference is about $10 or less

0 voters

Update: Poll is closed as of 7/9/2020

I don’t really PC game so don’t have a huge opinion on it. I remember everyone kicking off about it a few years ago (probably longer now).

No doubt it’s still a “problem” but is there more DRM today or are publishers using it less? Or has it altered over time so it’s less of a hassle?

1 Like

From what I have seen it seems to have been improved a bit over the years but you are now starting to see the result of bad DRM from years back.

Such as Tron: Evolution which was not a super popular game or anything but I really enjoyed playing.
On the PC it can not be installed or played due to Disney’s use of SecuROM which stopped running the authentication servers after Disney stopped paying the subscription. No matter where you purchased the game.

1 Like

On a personal level I am not too concerned about DRM because I play most AAA games, which are often the games subject to DRM, on consoles. The majority of the indie games I play on a PC are DRM free. However, DRM does concern me because it’s a roadblock for archivists. Any meaningful archival of the history of video games is deeply affected and hampered by the preventer of DRM.

4 Likes

I voted for yes because I still remember the dark ages of pc gaming.

• 3-times activation limits (hello 2k)
  • digital distribution platforms shutdown (hello stardock)
  • Games for windows shutdown
  • other copy protection services which servers can not confirm your retail copy because they’re dead

You can not rely on companies to fix their games if something like this happens.

4 Likes

I rarely buy games and always wait for steep discounts (with a handful of exceptions). DRM doesn’t really bother me anymore, which is funny because i didn’t want to buy Skyrim back in the day due to it requiring Steam. For some older games DRM can be a problem but that’s quite rare and you can usually find a workaround.

1 Like

I vote no because I want DRM-free to be the standard (for other digital media as well), not some “premium feature” I have to pay for.
Ironically, sometimes I will tip an indie dev an extra bit if they make their stuff DRM-free and don’t employ any bs tactics.

3 Likes