Which Games Scared You As A Kid?

The Game Grumps take on Dennis the Mennis was pretty funny when they encountered the hulking Mr. Wilson.

2 Likes

itā€™s odd but i do remember having occasional jump scares from playing mario 64. There were times where you might zoom in to look at something or plan about how to get somewhere and then (due to camera-wonk) something is sneaking up on you. XD

a really creepy mario 64 turned into a ā€˜luigiā€™s mansionā€™ romhackā€¦ That could be great fun. What perfect usage of those ā€˜luigiā€™ assets. has it been done?

1 Like

So I have two games that really scared me as a kid, one being Outlast, which I couldnā€™t finish as a kid because of how bad I would freeze up every time the beefy guy (canā€™t remember his name) would show up.
And also oddly Super Granny, for some reason. There was an enemy in one of those games that had a tiki mask or something that for some reason freaked me out so bad Iā€™d need my sister to finish the level for me.
On that note I did recently finally finish Outlast and really enjoyed it!

2 Likes

I never played any horror game as a kid, but I used to be terrified by mildly creepy stuff in non-creepy games.

The earliest example I can remember was the garden gnomes from Harry Potter and the Philosopherā€™s Stone on PC. I cannot find an image of them, except for this video:

Theyā€™re the most basic enemy of the game, but god I was so afraid of them. They spot you and then start running at you. I canā€™t remember but I think they just stun you for a few seconds. You canā€™t move fast in this game so your only option is to cast a spell to neutralize them (thereā€™s usually a few gnomes at once so you better not miss). They look ugly but somewhat human-ish, and they make noises that are obviously made by a human, very creepy.

ā€¦ After writing this I remembered another one. I had this game thatā€™s called Sabrina: Brat Attack on PC. Itā€™s basically only the garden gnomes, all the time. You must neutralize every creature before it gets you and you canā€™t really flee. I liked it because it looked pretty, but it also made me so uncomfortable all the way through. Again, not a lot of pictures online, but hereā€™s one:

In summary: Creepy creature + Bad controls + Impressionable kid = Nightmare fuel

5 Likes

I donā€™t remember being scared by any games I played as a kid.

As an adult, the only games that have genuinely bothered me to play were Silent Hill 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and SOMA. Two of those games are good. :smile:

And hey! We recorded a podcast about Amnesia!

But last night my (young) son wanted to know all about Left 4 Dead, which he saw in thumbnail form in my Steam library. Iā€™ve told him before that it wasnā€™t the kind of game we wanted him playing at his age, and he wanted to know why. I thought he was old enough to see a 30-60s clip I pulled up on YouTube. Apparently this was a parenting mistake: it kept him up terrified for at least an hour at bedtime. :disappointed:

3 Likes

I didnā€™t play horror games until I was a teen so the games that scared me werenā€™t supposed to be. But when you barely can beat one level with your small kid brain, everything is a high level threat.

Like absolutely everything from Tomb Raider 3, even the fucking butler that followed you around.

Or the already mentioned Harry Potterā€™s weird potato gnomes.

I even managed to play a bit of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. I though the one with actual demons was fine but Duke Nukem was an extremely terrifying experience, thanks to that nightmarish sound design.

3 Likes

KULT: Temple of the flying Saucers scared the shit out of me and still does, the ambient, the music and the embryo-advicer are awesome here you go:

2 Likes