What are your top five (or 10) games of all time?

Nice to see Zelda 2 getting some love. I really enjoyed it as a child, and still think it’s a great game

1 Like

My list would be something like

• Super Metroid

• Zelda, A Link to the Past

• Shadow of the Colossus

• Silent Hill 2

• Portal 2

• Bioshock

There are so many other amazing games that really mean a lot to me, but when I think about it, right now, these 6 stand out.

2 Likes
  1. Suikoden 2
  2. Stronghold: Crusader
  3. Portal
  4. The Last of Us
  5. Undertale
  6. Portal 2
  7. This War of Mine
  8. Bastion
  9. Medal of Honor: Vanguard
  10. Tales from the Borderlands

I really need to play more games tho. especially critically acclaimed ones.

2 Likes
  1. Mega Man X
    I think Mega Man X improved on what was already an amazing concept and framework. I grew up playing MM 1-4, and X did exactly what I wanted it to. I play it at least once a year still. It’s a comfort thing, too. I can fall back on it and it will ALWAYS be fun.
    (The rest presented in no particular order)
  2. The Stanley Parable
  3. Mass Effect
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
  5. Bioshock Infinite
  6. Mega Man 2
  7. Portal 2
  8. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
  9. Star Wars Galaxies
  10. Pillars of Eternity
  11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4 Likes
  1. Super Mario World. So many great memories from my childhood.
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Arkham Asylum
  4. Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider
  5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  6. Life is Strange
  7. Mad Max
  8. The Walking Dead season 1
2 Likes
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Where it all started, no other game has ever instilled fear like this one, first time i felt immersed in a video game world.
  2. Bioshock - Similar reasons to RE2 in that the world was an incredible place to explore. Struggled to leave that world behind for a while, plot was second to none.
  3. Fallout 3 - Unbelievable RPG with a real sense of go anywhere and do anything!
  4. Dead Space - A similar theme occuring here in that i think i really enjoy atmosphere and exploring a game world, Sci-Fi setting was amazing.
  5. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 - Classic, the finest tycoon games ever made and still so playable on my phone today.
  6. Alan Wake - Creepy dark atmosphere with a mind boggling story.
  7. Everybodies Gone to the Rapture - A fantastic slow paced game that let you sink into the narrative and chase the unknown.
1 Like

I have this on Vita. Pretty nice little game.

BTW. Best user name ever!

1 Like

How is it on Vita? I have it on PS3 but I’ve always wondered how well it plays on the Vita.

1 Like

Pretty well. Frame rates are consistent, no clipping or choppy motion. Graphics are fantastic. Some actions use the back touch screen which takes a little getting used to. I think it’s great.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought it would be a fun game to have tucked away on my Vita.

As for the rear touch screen, you can solve some of that annoyance with something like this:

http://www.play-asia.com/l2r2-button-grip-cover-for-pch-1000-black/13/709ikh

I have something similar for mine and it works quite well. Great for remote play.

2 Likes

I’m going to try to include games that aren’t so commonly mentioned, but deserve notice, imo. :persevere:

In no particular order (except Lufia II is still my absolute favorite of all time):

• Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
    Good ol’ JRPG that made me feel all the things. Failed to beat the first boss as a dumb kid, and then later spent the entirety of a summer in my high school years playing this game. Still hoping for that Virtual Console port… :sob:

• Cave Story
    Iconic. 2D platformer with Metroidvania elements. I didn’t play it until 10+ years later, but I’m so glad I did. The game’s charm holds even now, the pixel art, the characters, the music. Solid, polished gameplay. If you ever play this, do yourself a favor and play it with the original music and graphics.

• Final Fantasy V
    Baby’s First Final Fantasy. It’s a FF game, what do you expect? Heroes of Light, four crystals, etc., etc. Notable for the expanded Job system. And maybe someday I’ll 100% the Bestiary. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

• Animal Crossing
    We need more games like Animal Crossing. Truly delightful game where you get to befriend villagers and tend to the town. Cute, non-violent game that even teaches us littering is bad! (๑•ㅂ•)و✧ Incredibly relaxing game for all ages.

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Baby’s First Zelda Game. I don’t even know where to begin saying things about it that haven’t been said by numerous others already. If you haven’t played this entry in the series yet, WHY HAVE YOU NOT PLAYED IT YET. It’s not considered one of the best LoZ games for no reason.

These kinds of choices are always subjective, but almost all my picks are clearly from being played in my formative years lol. Games that I look back on fondly and think about how I’d happily play it again (if I could ever clear my backlog).

Honorable Mentions: Super Mario Bros. and Tetris because those were games my siblings and I could play with our mother, where the language barrier wasn’t a problem with those games. :v:

4 Likes

good video i’m watching of an old fogey talking bout his favorite games. figured i’d post it.

1 Like
  1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2 together
    And MMO (300 years after original plot) instead of 3rd part is ********. I feel betrayed. :sob:

2. Heroes of Might and Magic III - First game I bought. I could play with friends without having Internet. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

3. The Witcher 2 - Aaargh!, I need better PC for W3!
    I loved the books before the games were released. I can’t believe it turned out even better than expected! :heart_eyes:

4. Mass Effect 2 - Let’s try to forget about scanning planets. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5. Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansions - Because I was starting day at 5:00 to play before school. :sleeping:

6. Dragon Age: Origins - on Nightmare difficulty!!! It was resurrection of oldschool RPG. :smiling_imp:

7. Planescape Torment - dark, rich setting that breaks fantasy clichés. And Morte the talking skull is best companion ever :skull:

8. The Swapper - brain boiling, psychological SF horror puzzle game… made of clay.
    The Swapper on Steam

9. Antichamber - it’s non-euclidean game playing tricks with your mind.
    Antichamber on Steam

10. The Cat Lady - really disturbing, even morbid but the plot is fascinating.
    The Cat Lady on Steam

4 Likes

Oh man, so many amazing games. I’ve been playing for a good 25 years so I’m going to have to really think about this…

Super Mario Bros 3 - This was the first game I played that really blew me away and got played endlessly. I was very tempted to put Super Mario World here instead, but Bros 3 is probably the game that got me into games more. I remember being oh so very young when I used to borrow the game from the older girl down the street.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Sonic was my childhood hero. I subscribed to the uk comic and would get up early in the morning to watch the tv shows. Sonic 2 came with my mega drive console and was what started it all for me. It became another game I played for ages and never got bored of.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were both cool games. But combine them using the attachment and you have my favourite game ever! It was an epic.

Metroid Prime - The trilogy on Wii is my desert island game. I’d play it anywhere and I would be lost in that beautifully crafted and immersive universe. The first game in particular is a masterpiece.

Megaman Zero 2 - Of all the megaman games, the 4 megaman zero games are my favourites, with 2 being the game where things really started to ramp up. The dark and epic story of survival and the exciting gameplay really did it for me.

Yoshi’s Island - Another epic adventure in a land that was easy to lose yourself in. The controls were sharp and the level and boss design was some of the best you can get in any platformer.

Gunstar Heroes - Exciting action packed adventure that looked great and was most memorable for its boss battles, especially against 7 force, which could transform into 7 different forms. Me and my brother used to like setting the game to hard mode, where you had to defeat all 7 forms.

Sonic Adventure - For all its faults, I still played this to the point that even the glitches and camera were no longer a problem. At this point I think I wasn’t playing games as much. But then I saw this on the dreamcast and was blown away by the step up in speed and graphics that suddenly I was hooked again.

Phantasy Star Online - The first game I ever played online in any major capacity. It was such a cool thing in those early days for me and my young friends and the new friends I made too that I still talk to today. Glorious escapism and great looking environments, for the time. A stunning soundtrack too. And all on dialup! My granny ended up getting the phone company to visit because she couldn’t get through in the evenings! Hahaha!

Mass Effect 2 - Just the perfect sci-fi adventure that really sucked me in. It was such a step up on anything i’d played before across genres.

Honourable mentions: Persona 3 FES, Dragon Age Origins, Okami, Resident Evil 4.

6 Likes

(In no order, because I can’t do that to myself)

1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Halo 2
  3. Bioshock Infinite
  4. Final Fantasy VIII
  5. Knights of the Old Republic
  6. Arkham Asylum
  7. Final Fantasy IV
  8. Xenoblade Chronicles
  9. Bastion
  10. Fallout 3
1 Like

I’m gonna try to list my everchanging Top5:

1. Morrowind, this game is something very special to me. It helped me through a lot of shit. Oblivion gets an honorary mention aswell. Whenever someone asks me about my favorite game, it’s always Morrowind.
  2. Battlefield 1942, the demo was one of my first multiplayer shooter experiences I had and it molded me into the FPS fan I am.
  3. Halo series, Halo 3 especially. Halo 3 was first game I finished on the same day I bought it, and all the games have so many wonderful memories attached to them since I played them a lot with my friends.
  4. Champions Online, first MMO that properly hooked me. I got like +1900 hours of gameplay in that, all because I spent my time with friends roleplaying and creating stories together.
  5. GTA Vice City, also helped me through a lot of things when I was younger. So many hours just spent wandering around the city, driving crazily and flying with tanks lol.

There are many, many games I could add this list and I wouldn’t even be able to cover them all.

1 Like

Final Fantasy 7
Witcher 3
Bioshock
Little Nightmares
(I really can’t name a 5th, however the above 4 games really got me lost in their worlds and atmospheres, I have enjoyed a great many games but can’t name any other as an absolute favorite)

1 Like

1) Halo: Combat Evolved
2) Halo 2
3) Counter-Strike 1.6
4) Half-Life 2: Episode 1 & 2
5) Dragon Age: Origins
6) Dragon Age: Inquisition
7) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
8) GTA: San Andreas
9) The Wolf Among Us
10) The Walking Dead

Wish I could actually play the whole Halo series on PC since I do not own a console but oh well. Also Counter-Strike 1.6 marked my childhood, I have roughly over 8000 hours, maybe even close to 10.000 (Was playing it almost 24/7 every day for about 3 years + adding the days before I even got to know the Jailbreak servers that made me rush that 24/7 spree). Also got around 650 hours on Steam so let’s just add that to the count of my non-steam sessions.

2 Likes

1: Resident Evil 3: Nemsis
This was the first RE game I ever played, left such a strong impression on me, imagine being chased by Nemesis while you are totally unaware of what this game is or how it plays… That moment when he jumps through the window of the RCPD stole ten years of my life.

2. Dino Crisis 2
While the first game is a harder version of Resident Evil, second one took identity of its own and to be honest… It was perfect in what it wanted to do. Action was quick and tense, weapons were interesting, characters had their own personalities and differences. Switching between Regina and Dylan was fun and how the game was designed, its look… I still consider it beautiful. That ship of theirs is carved into my mind forever.

3. Deadly Premonition (Directors Cut)
Twisted and weird to its core. This is something you will either hate or fall in love with. Giving you enough freedom to go around the city however you wish. Characters are well written and story swiftly pulled me in.

4. Silent Hill
I actually enjoy this one more than the second game, maybe it was simpler (not in a bad way). It was also the first one I played in the series, also as a kid, that might be the reason why it stuck with me.

5. Resident Evil 2
It did everything the first one did, improving on it, throwing you into this infested city as you salvage every bullet in order to survive. Game just has perfect pacing and atmosphere.

I could go on, but I think it would be silly as there would be more of Resident Evil and Silent Hill 2 taking up at least several more spots.

2 Likes

There are many games that I think have left great memories for me. Most of what I pick out here is what made a lasting impression and influenced my gaming life. Perhaps some of you may identify with some popular or a bit less known games here.

• Grim Fandango - I never heard of it nor was familiar with the Lucasarts adventure games; I was around 9 years back then and replayed it many times, due to scarcity of my game library. Today, it’s my favourite of the genre, having played it so many times that I could recite most of the dialogues.

• Heroes of Might and Magic III - A childhood strategy game that aged well with the times, along with a dedicated fan-base. Still holds good nostalgia!

• Just Cause 3 - It must sound strange that I picked this one above Just Cause 2, because I’ve had some of the best fun and lots of hours spent on it. I’d just say that JC3 improves the gameplay with its new content, along with the wingsuit and grapple hook moves that can be put into imaginary uses. I’ve only been lucky to suffer no serious bugs on this, like some players seem to have with this one.

• Half-Life - A father’s gift, a less familiar game that opened up for new experiences and infinite playing possibilities, thanks to the modding community. HL had such memorable characters and locations that it was the FPS game to rule them all. Sadly, with fandom comes the price of living with the unfulfilled anticipation for Half-Life 3 or whatever that carries it on beyond the plot’s loose ends.

• Dynasty Warriors 8: XL Complete Edition - I would say that I’m a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, it’s more that DW8 has been taken and improved most of the gaming content. So it sits high up along with DW5, as well.

• Audiosurf - Being a music fan, this game changed and perfect how music can be experienced, in a visual and interactive way. Who wouldn’t like to ride a spacey, colorful puzzle manifestation of a favorite song and even compete with other players on the score and challenges?

• Pony Island - One of the most recent highlights in the personal library. I went into this with no clue of what to expect from this game but it sure caught me fast with its meta-based functions and the innovative takes on finding solutions. Wish there were more games like this…

• Might & Magic VII: For Blood and Honor - Immersive, fun and well-improved after the 6th game. The fact that there is an on-going history events that are shared between the original M&M and Heroes of Might and Magic, as a prime example, makes me feel more involved as a player. Might have aged a little but the magic is still there. (pun intended)

• Final Fantasy VI - Not only a childhood favorite JRPG of mine but THE first game that got me into genre and got into a period of plowing between story-driven games of that sort. Well-written soundtracks, large cast of playable characters and an immersive plot made it a stellar introduction to me.

• Team Fortress 2 - I’m less of a multiplayer person but I must admit I’ve grown up with Team Fortress Classic when Half-Life came out. Since I watched my cousin play TF2, I’ve been engaged once again with multiplayer game and commited over 2000 hours in various game modes, official and custom ones. Some of my fave classes are medic, engineer and sniper (with bow).

3 Likes