Whalee's 2020 Grouvee Challenge

Game Experience - Time travel/Manipulation

Braid
An incredibly fun puzzle game - once you figure parts out it gives you the amazing feeling of realizing how simple it was. Generally the game gives a good idea on how to think but early on I struggled with a couple solutions where I needed help to figure it out and the solution was usually something I didn’t think was possible. The game is highly regarded and I’d say it earns it, definitely worth playing if you want a great puzzle game.

3 Likes

Game Elements - RPG

TES IV - Oblivion
Not much can be said about Oblivion that hasn’t be said. It is incredibly fun but playing Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim it’s sad seeing the drop of depth in Oblivion which you know will continue further in Skyrim. While sad, it doesn’t ruin the game there is still so much to do and so much fun to be had. The story is on par with all TES stories as in it eats ass / bland but the side quests are where the fun is. If anyone hasn’t played it’s still good to play, it hasn’t aged too poorly.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes - Activision or EA

The Saboteur
I remember when this came out it was received quite poorly (ended up being Pandemics last game) but back then I never understood now. Playing again I still found the game rather fun so I find that it is incredibly underrated. The missions are bleh in terms of story telling, but it is still some great fun which in these games I find to be the most enjoyable aspect. If interested in picking it up the GOG version includes a fix to prevent crashing with CPUs with 4 or more cores - this can be found online if you have a different version.

2 Likes

Game Elements - Visual Novel

Long Live The Queen
I always enjoyed this game but could never get through it, when I put on the list for the games in 2020 I gave it another go and I got hooked. I went 5 hours without stopping trying to get through - I didn’t get all ending but once you’ve got through enough it becomes far easier to get the outcomes you want as you start to remember when you need certain skills by. It is replayable but not indefinitely as the event never change.

2 Likes

Game Experience - Powerful Vehicle

Metal Gear Solid 5 - Phantom Pain
The game itself is solid and well made, so much attention to detail which while small I feel can completely change a game. Gameplay alone this game is worth playing. Then there is the story… it is crazy, over the top and at times feels like fan fic but damn it is satisfying. Play games with so many regurgitated story or tacked on stories it does not fall into these pitfalls. The story is unique - it’s not grounded but I came in as someone who never played a Kojima game and now I can understand why people love his games. 100% play this game.

2 Likes

Game Elements - Walking Simulator

Death Stranding
I think this game is the perfect representation of a walking simulator as it is not just a game where you walk a lot you actually need to take note of balance and terrain. When the game trailers were first shown I didn’t have much interest - when I saw the gameplay of you being a delivery man… it drew me in instantly. The combat exists but is incredibly easy once you have progressed even a little but the world is beautiful and the story is encapsulating. The story follows Kojimas style, it is as close to grounded as the moon is but it is done well making it satisfying none the less. The game play could be quite a restriction to a lot so if the game play appeals to you i’d definitely give it a go.

2 Likes

Game Experience - Invisibility or Shapeshifting

Wolfenstein(2009)
I wanted to see if this game was actually as bad as it was received - being a reboot that didn’t continue like the new wolfenstein it clearly wasn’t at the time… and it still isn’t now. Was a rather bland and boring game. Ravens “Singularity” was a far funner game of this style and one i’d happily go back to play - this one… give it a pass. The shooting sucks, the abilities are tied behind collectibles that if you miss its too late (I went through half the game not knowing they existed only to find it was too late).

2 Likes

Behind the scenes - Remaster

Bioshock 2
I enjoyed Bioshock 1 and while this is incredibly similar to the first game I found it to be far more bland. It felt more of the same with no improvement and the non stop radio in your ear became even worse. The whole story is done via this radio and it kills it imo after listening for 30 minutes you just want it to stop. Gameplay and the rest is Bioshock 1 if you want more then this will be fulfilling. If you want better then go for Bioshock infinite.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes - THQ or Devolver or 505 Games

Ruiner
I struggle with twin sticks shooter but I loved the style of this game so I stuck it out. I couldn’t play on max difficulty but it was fun when you go through difficult battles. The ending was a huge let down to where I was expecting the build up was going. If you like these style games it is 100% worth playing.

1 Like

Game Experience - Ninja / Parkour skill

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
I don’t think the game has aged too well but it was fun. There is too much combat for how bad the combat system is - while it mostly doesn’t become an issue the game finale being a boss fight was infuriating. I look forward to the remaster or perhaps the newer games with either better combat or more focus on parkour puzzles.

1 Like

Game Elements - Brawler

Attack on Titan
I remember playing a java Attack on Titan game thinking this would be an amazing game. When this came out it perfectly reflected the java game with far more depth leading to an awesomely fun game. The story follows the anime (I assume I was never a fan of the anime haha) the only pitfall is the game starts to drag on towards the end where the focus moves to one individual. Taking down lots of titans is fun - dealing with one that deflects all your attacks and the likes just becomes tedious.

2 Likes

Game Elements - Strategy

Orcs Must Die
An incredibly fun game and once you start to get better at the mechanics it is awesome watching all your traps and set up handle the mobs without any assistance. I found that most of the traps and spells weren’t needed, and a few were just perfect in all areas. Definitely worth playing it is casual and a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Behind the scenes - Sequel

Max Payne 2
I never really got Max Payne, the combat was fun (passable?) but other than the story telling method didn’t really click with me. The dialogue was quite obscure, perhaps more appreciated by those with a stronger (English) language backing? (I am native english speaking but was more of a math boi not english boi growing up). Anyway on to Max Payne 2 - it is a follow on story, and again follows very similar story telling. Overall it’s enjoyable but without assistance of the online community I have no idea what’s going on.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes - Spin-off

Mario Maker 2
I never had a Wii U but mario maker is the only game that made me want one. Playing it on Switch was a great deal of fun - I finished the main campaign and the levels are a great deal of fun to jump in and out of. Overall if you enjoy mario I would recommend it as it essentially keeps on giving - I also enjoy the really difficult puzzle like levels as they remind me of some of the early games in the 90’s

2 Likes

Game Elements - Tutorial

Evoland
Evoland is an awesome idea, the game evolves as you play going from old “Zelda” style game play all the way to “Diablo 3” style gameplay. There isn’t much depth as the game is constantly changing, but it a fun little gimmick to see.

2 Likes

Game Experience - Flying or Gliding

Just Cause 4
I saw quite a bad reception for this game, and while the story is bland as always I found the gameplay to still be quite fun. This game isn’t amazing, but it also isn’t bad. If you’re after a chill game to just mess around with - it’s definitely worth picking up.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes - True standalone without cliffhanger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl
Whether this is standalone is up for debate, but a lot of games always leave room for a sequel. With SoC I didn’t see this to be the case, the story was completed and an ending was shown. The sequel and prequel have no impact on this story and I feel like it alone is a closed experience. Regarding the gameplay - the stalkers games give you the feeling of dread like no other. There are a huge number of mods for all games in the series and the gunplay while janky also feels great. Definitely worth playing.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes - Spiritual Successor

Dungeons
Dungeons is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, but it changes a key gameplay element. Instead of “defending” yourself from others you main goal is to bait heroes in and harvest their soles - carrying more weight than gold. Overall the change wasn’t that great and the “love” story was quite generic. With Dungeons 2 and 3 the developers returned to a goal more akin to Dungeon Keeper and I would suggest playing those over this one - while it’s not bad, it’s not great.

2 Likes

Game Experience - The Familiar or Mecha or Dragon

Cyberpunk 2077
I’d say the state of Cyberpunk is well known. Put short - avoid for now even if you have a PC, based on CDPR advising of big patches in Jan/Feb 2021 I would wait until then before picking up the game. That being said, I have had a blast and continue to have a blast - I feel my experience would be better had it been in a better state but it hasn’t ruined it for me. I am a huge fan of Cyberpunk setting - I love a time where our natural bodies are no longer relevant and we can swap and change as we see fit. For me that alone ensured I would love this game, however there are areas it falls flat with detail which can ruin the “immersion”.

In regards to your familiar (it works!) - Johnny is quite fun to interact with during the game, however interestingly enough I feel it’s also the weakest area when it comes to voice acting, not bad, but the other areas really outshine it.

Despite it all, I still see this game being a great game once fixed. I hope I am not wrong with this, but only time will tell.

3 Likes