Weekly gaming history exercise #4

Hello everyone ^^
I´ve been having a quite rough week, I hope that people in my situation could feel better playing videogames.
Enough of that, this week’s question is: What was the first game rated Mature you played? You were old enough to play it?
Mine was the first God of war for PS2, as you can tell I weren´t old enough to play it jsjsjs.
Remember that I’ll be reading all of your replies. ^^

5 Likes

Parasite Eve, and no, I was 13.

4 Likes

I’ll be honest, I didn’t pay much attention to ESRB ratings but given Mortal Kombat was the first game to receive the M rating (and was the impetus for the industry ratings in the first place), that would have to be the game. In fact I played that before ESRB ratings even existed, in 1992. I also played Doom in 1993, which received an M rating as part of the very first batch of ESRB ratings back in 1994.

5 Likes

Oh, interesting ! It was actually Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, not too long ago. I didn’t know what it was going to have content-wise, like if there was anything that might concern me

I’m old, but generally prefer lighter fare

Actually, that was the first one I bought myself. We had Doom 2 on the computer when I was probably too young for it. It didn’t really bother me until the surprise in the last boss’s room scared me from ever playing it again

4 Likes

OH if that’s the case, then yeah, Mortal Kombat. I was 7 in October of 1992, lol, just a little short of legal age. I remember telling a friend about the blood code and his dad flipping out on me. That kid went on to become a marine, I wonder how many people he actually killed. Good times.

4 Likes

Im not 100% sure if it’s the first. But it’s the one i remember.
I was in Poland with my family and found a game called “Gothic 2” in a supermarket.
I had to wait until our vacation was over and I got home to Sweden before I could actually install and play it on my PC. Lots of good memories from that game.

Although i did also play Contra on the SNES, its only got a 10+ ESRB so I guess it doesn’t count :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t say whether or not I was old enough to play. Given Mortal Kombat didn’t receive an M rating until the ESRB was established, I was technically old enough to play in 1992, because there were no restrictions, and then technically not old enough to play when it received its rating in 1994. I was 12 when Mortal Kombat came out so I had already been playing games in arcades for quite some time.

2 Likes

E10+ didn’t become a thing until somewhere between TMNT 2: Battle Nexus and TMNT 3: Mutant Nightmare

I found this interesting at the time because the show was rated Y7 [FV], meaning that you’d theoretically have to be almost twice as old before playing the game based on it

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I didn’t pay much attention to ESRB ratings but given Mortal Kombat was the first game to receive the M rating (and was the impetus for the industry ratings in the first place), that would have to be the game.

Probably the same thing applies for me. We didn’t even know that was a thing, and no one back home cared enough to translate those ratings to Spanish. Church was too afraid of heavy metal being satanic to care about videogames either so it was free for all.

Either Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct.

2 Likes

I´ve been having a quite rough week, I hope that people in my situation could feel better playing videogames.

I hope you feel better soon!

What was the first game rated Mature you played? You were old enough to play it?

The first one might have been a PS1 game but I’m not entirely sure which one it was. Resident Evil or Spawn: The Eternal, maybe? But the first one that I was absolutely sure that wasn’t for kids was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, I was like 7 or 8 years old when I first played it so definitely not old enough. Also played Resident Evil 4 and God of War a few months later.

4 Likes

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter! My older cousin let me play it and I was freaking out! I might’ve been 7.

Then a lot of nothing, and then maybe Halo when I was 13.

First M rated game I bought was No More Heroes! Went big immediately. Bought it with my Jamba Juice employee of the month bonus!

4 Likes

Mine was Turok too :smiley:
Turok for PS2 in my case owo.

3 Likes

It´s great how Turok is a common place in this kind of stories jsjsjs.

2 Likes

I guess it had a special hit on you.

2 Likes

Doom 2 could be an innocent game these days but I can asume that for those days it was controversial to see a minor playing it.

2 Likes

Hey ^^
Thanks everybody, stay tuned for tomorrow’s post.

3 Likes