Video Games Challenge 2019 - propositions

I got the category all set up, just need to set up guidelines for people to follow, so they know how to make their own threads. :slight_smile:

Once everything is all decided on, I’ll get the ‘about this category’ updated with all relevant information.

1 Like

thats a cool spreadsheet and i like it.

group 9 and 10 are awesome. I’ll have to slot those first actually if i take the challenge (not sure yet)

1 Like

I love this idea, hot dang.

1 Like

Any chance you would be amenable to adding one additional category? I drafted a category on diversity, partially because I’d like to hit some of these targets this year, but other people might want to as well. If you are open to adding another category I can forward you the list of ten game types. I am just finalizing it now.

1 Like

Let’s see your list :smiley:
I made Group 11 with “regions” and (in Group 7) changed “game from your country” to “Use Random Trope button (tvtropes.org)”. It’s a quest from anime challenge, sometimes you have to use it a few times but results are ridiculous.
What you think about it?

2 Likes

I like the random tropes one, the second one I got with the button I thought of about 3 games that would fit in. Unfortunately for the first one, world conquering kangaroos, I couldn’t think of anything. Someone should really make that game.

I also like bmo’s group idea, like the regions one, it forces people to look a bit deeper into their games. Hopefully it’ll spark a little bit of conversation as people discover games that fit in. And of course anyone not interested is free to skip those groups.

2 Likes

I like both of those, the regions is a nice addition and the tropes category will be interesting.

This is what I was thinking for a group on diversity for those interested:

Group 12 Diverse Stories
1 A game by a developer with a disability (visible or invisible)
2 A game featuring a main character with a disability (visible or invisible)
3 A game by a female developer
4 A game featuring a female main character
5 A game by an indigenous developer or collective
6 A game featuring an indigenous main character
7 A game by an LGBT / Queer developer
8 A game featuring an LGBT / Queer main character
9 A game by a developer in a visible minority
10 A game featuring a main character in a visible minority

I can be tough, but I have games for each so I know it’s doable. I think it’s a good challenge for anyone who wants to reasearch games that fit the criteria and will likely result in playing a lot of games on the margins and titles that are not on a lot of people’s radar.

3 Likes

Been working on my list of games to play. I changed up group one slightly for myself, I combined romance and comedy and separated mystery and horror.

I’m having trouble with the ‘based on true events’ one. I know there’s Kholat, but I played that one already. I think LA Noire is vaguely based on true events, but that’s all I’ve come up with so far. Anyone got some suggestions?

Also I kind of made my own group, for stuff I didn’t see in other groups and themed it. Totally don’t need to add it, basically made it for myself.

Group - “Life”

• Go to Work (management game)
  • Road Trip (driving game, game with traveling in it)
  • Game Night (card game, board game, tabletop game)
  • Read a book (text based adventure, choose your own adventure)
  • Chores (cooking, cleaning, farming, etc)
  • Vacation (casual game)
  • To the Arcade (arcade game)
  • Living in a distopia (distopian game)
  • Living in a Utopia (utopian game)
  • To the future! (sci-fi game, not set in space)
4 Likes

I’m going to change from “based” to “inspired”, because this one is hard! :sweat_smile:
LA Noire and Kholat are great ideas.
There are sport/racing games that have players and stadiums from real life like FIFA.
Educational games, f.e. History of Biology, or “historic tour” games like Discovery Tour by Assassin’s Creed®: Ancient Egypt or Historium VR.
Games based on true wars/battles shouldn’t be “alternate history”. Wolfenstein and Assassin’s Creed are far from historical accuracy but Valiant Hearts: The Great War, 11-11: Memories Retold, Rome: Total War, The Saboteur are fine.
A Golden Wake is inspired by true events. Adventure games with strong historical background like The Last Express are ok.
There are games inspired by events in Iran: The Cat and the Coup, 1979 Revolution: Black Friday.
I don’t have more ideas for now. I want to play Astrologaster inspired by real life person, Simon Forman - it should be released soon.

2 Likes

I made an “Explanation” table in main spreadsheet. What do you think?

2 Likes

Looks great! I’ll get what you typed up copied over to the ‘About’ thread. Thanks for all your hard work!

Just so you know, Group 2 is currently labeled as Group 4.

I want to play Astrologaster too! Maybe it’ll end up being my pick for that one, if it comes out in time.

1 Like

It’s all set up, the challenge can now begin! Thanks again for everything you did to get this going! :heart:

Just so you know, I changed ‘No-life’ to ‘extreme’, so that no one would be offended by the idea that if they’re able to complete a lot of games that they don’t have other responsibilities.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thank you again @summer.azure for making this happen! I’m sitting at 114/130 and more or less out of time now. Had to cheekily rejig constantly to make that happen, but I enjoyed doing it that way - even if it wasn’t in the exact spirit of the exercise!

Any plans for another one? Happy to contribute! :smiley:

4 Likes

YES! I want to make 2020 edition :slight_smile: But I need feedback f.e. which groups where most interesting, to make the challenge better. I even thought about extra bonus category with game-related media. I think it’s time to make a topic about it.

3 Likes

This looks so fun! I want to do it for 2020!

1 Like

This was fun. i liked this a lot and i tried to slate something for every one of them, sorta plugged in slots as i went along, or replacing abandoned titles with new candidates i was to actually wind up completing.

@summer.azure did a great job. i thought some of the sections were really cool because they did get me looking and exploring even if i didnt necessarily play them or get them completed.

The ones I liked the most were genres, cause they got me picking from genres i shy away from. I also liked the “year of XXXX” because that got me looking at ALL published titles on the site (and i was suprised at some years how i missed things)

4 Likes

I didn’t see the challenge for 2019, but I saw the ‘Games completed this year’ from BMO. That set me on a path of finishing my backlog during 2019, and having now seen this and entries I think the sections are awesome. As Giga mentions, it gets you to look at more games than just the usual you go to and find possible gems within our piles of shame.

Looking at the entries people have put has also shown some games I have never heard of which is cool… just not for my backlog :’)

Excited to take part in 2020

2 Likes