Video Games Challenge 2019 - propositions

I love yearly “reading challenges” with missions, for example “read a book with red cover”. I propose to make one for us. How many games should be on the list? 52 is a little too much, I think of 25. I propose to be able to add titles that are not “finishable” like simulations or MMOs. The problem is that we can’t edit posts - But I can make Google spreadsheet.

My propositions:

Group 1 - classic genres:

1. Mystery or Horror
  2. Science fiction
  3. Historical setting
  4. Comedy
  5. Featuring mythology/legend

Group 4 - video game genres:
6. Platformer
7. Open World
8. Point and Click
9. Walking Simulator
10. Strategy

Group 3 - title containing:
11. Colour
12. Number
13. Name of character/place
14. One word
15. Verb

Group 4 - playable characters:
16. Real life animal
17. Child
18. Custom character
19. Hollywood Action Hero Archetype
20. Someone evil or morally ambiguous

Group 5 - pile of shame:
21. Game from 2018
22. Game from 2017
23. Game from 2016
24. Game from 2015
25. Remake or remaster

I made 100 categories and want to make such rules:

Casual: 10% ------ Choose one group (“one game from each” would be too easy)
Easy 20% ---------- Choose two groups or two games from each group.
Medium 30% ---- Choose three groups or three games from each group.
Hard 40% ---------- Choose four groups or four games from each group.
No-life 60% ------- Choose six groups or six games from each group.

Games must be completed (if possible) between 01.01 - 31.12
Timeplay must be minimum 2 hours.

My propositions:

4 Likes

Oooo, I like this! Last year I did something kind of similar, I did a points thing. Depending on the year a game came out determined its points. I had a goal of 25 points, and I got something like 38.

Not everyone enjoys the same genres, etc, so maybe filling in your own choices for some of the groups, or even giving yourself more if you feel 25 isn’t enough. Could even just expand your list and make it a ‘choose 5’ or however many you want.

I’ll definitely join in though! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m going to expand that challenge and I’ll make tiers. Last year on “My Anime List” there was a challenge of 100 quests with 5 difficulty levels - you can choose categories or use randomizer. The Easy level is only 20%.

1 Like

Very cool! I’m totally on board, let me know if there’s anything I can do to help out. :smiley:

1 Like

I like it. Could be a good way to encourage people to try something different. I’ll try any that don’t involve playing loads of games. I don’t have much time these days :frowning:

1 Like

I’d definitely be up for this!

1 Like

last year the idea got tossed around at a competitive site i came across called my video game list. Here is the original post.and they made a new post for this year as well and are doing new challenges probably.Last year I joined the challenge and came up with some of my own challenges to add to the list.

The better challenges are the ones that span genres you dont like or normally play, or reach for a broader inclusivity of games rather than things that are random or ‘really hard’ and lengthy ones. but that is just my opinion!

A cool one (sadly i didnt complete it ) was play a game from the year you were born because it has you look up OLD games. So I like group 1, 2 and 5.

Different people seemed to go about the challenge in different ways. Some opted to go for a certain amount of challenges and assign games and then work to complete them. I just tried to add in as many candidates as i could in order to complete as many challenges as were on the list (including adding new ones) and then slotted things when applicable as I naturally played stuff. Keeping track of it would not have been possible without Grouvee! lol

2 Likes

I had my doubts about this as I looked up games that released in the year I was born. But one of my favorite games as a kid was released that year! The original (graphical) Oregon Trail! I even played it on the Apple II as a kid, which is what it was originally released on. Didn’t play on one of those fancy color monitors though, just the green one! I have the original Oregon Trail on a handheld now that I play from time to time.

2 Likes

Sounds fun. I wouldn’t mind mixing up my formula for choosing games this year.

1 Like

That list from last year is quite good. I would definitely try to hit some of those targets.

1 Like

Where do you mean? You can make edits to posts on both the main site, and in the forums. Are you referring to one of those two locations?

1 Like

I don’t see a button for that :frowning: I have: share, flag, bookmark, delete, reply

1 Like

I made 100 categories and want to make such rules:

Casual: 10% ------ Choose one group (“one game from each” would be too easy)
Easy 20% ---------- Choose two groups or two games from each group.
Medium 30% ---- Choose three groups or three games from each group.
Hard 40% ---------- Choose four groups or four games from each group.
No-life 60% ------- Choose six groups or six games from each group.

Games must be completed (if possible) between 01.01 - 31.12
Timeplay must be minimum 2 hours.

My propositions:

4 Likes

Maybe I am wrong. I’ll get back to you on that.

1 Like

Looks great. I would suggest that there shouldn’t be a minimum time played. Reason being that a game like Florence, which can fit into at least a couple categories, is roughly 45 minutes. I don’t think a game like Florence should be excluded simply because it fails to meet the 2 hour minimum. The same applies to similar games. Thoughts?

1 Like

We can change that to
“you must finish game = win campaign/main story (you don’t have to 100% it) or play at least 3 hours if game doesn’t have an end (simulations, MMO’s etc.)”

3 Likes

that makes sense, and I kind of got the feeling that you probably were implying that it was for incomplete games.

1 Like

This is excellent! The idea is that we add ourselves to the spreadsheet?

1 Like

I added your spreadsheet to your original post.

Looks awesome to me! In group 7 you have ‘game from your country’, maybe a whole group for just games from various countries? Could be fun to discover where some games were developed.

So how do we go about sharing our progress? I could probably make a sub section of the forums for this, for each person to have their own dedicated thread.

1 Like

Great idea :smiley: That way we could not only mark title but also leave a few word about each entry.

1 Like