Top Videogames with Female Protagonists?

I think you can have it both ways as well, with the game being fun and great in its design and execution while also having a character that happens to be a female (biological or otherwise) and a well written and developed character. The protagonist can be tied to their gender/ sex/ gender identity and still come off as realistic and not a caricature or an obvious programmed anomaly with no distinctions that would make them seem like they could actually exist.

I think that the idea of females within video games, not only as the main characters but as other players that donā€™t pertain to them simply being a sex symbol or product of sexism in general is getting easier and easier to implement and we are seeing them more often, and I can only hope that the industry continues on this path, as I am a bit tired of seeing a female within a game only for them to be barely 1-dimensional in their presentation.

3 Likes

A few more I donā€™t think have been mentioned:

• Star Ocean Second Story (can choose to play as Rena or Claude)
  • The Guardian Legend
  • The Cat Lady
  • The Blackwell series (Blackwell Legacy is the first)
3 Likes

In no particular order

• Shantae series
  • Tomb Raider (2016)
  • Hellblade
  • Dishonoured 2
  • Broken Sword series
  • Resident Evil Code: Veronica
  • Freedom Planet

I like Portal 2 a lot.
Also Resident Evil Remake with Jill Valentine.
Half Life Alyx.

Those three are my top games with female protagonist, by saying top i mean that i gave it 5/5 the highest rating.
Obviously I excluded RPGs here.

Thanks for those thoughts, Prin. The whole issue has hit me more personally as Iā€™ve begun raising my two daughters. I hope they can both learn to love video games (though, really, the eldest already does), but stereotypes of whatever type really have a large effect on them, even at a young age. My five-year old really, really likes Mega Man, but she noticed pretty early on that most of the robot masters were men. We made up our own robot masters, and she has a fair smattering of male and female robots, though for one ā€œgameā€ she had everyone as female. Iā€™m not sure what a ā€œfemale robotā€ is, but I note that sheā€™s already thinking about gender, even at the age of five. And thatā€™s not even getting into good and bad role models, non-binary gender, and the like.

Oh, and:

• Xenosaga (Shion, though sheā€™s not a great character)
  • Child of Light
1 Like

You are welcome. I have two daughters and a son, all under 5 and in this day and age, it has become harder and harder, nigh impossible to not think about sex, gender, and the ways in which they are being presented. Even with a game such as Minecraft which my eldest has been getting into for a month or so now, she still prefers to have her character look like Jesse instead of Steve, even though it is simply cosmetic.

Having a minor in Women and Gender Studies, I canā€™t help but see it all around. Itā€™s like the glasses from They Live at this point.

Also, in regards to Mega Man, I feel that they have had a couple robot masters that were portrayed as female, with Splash Woman being the most prominent in Mega Man 9, but Capcom still have a long way to go unfortunately with decent representation.

2 Likes

Yes, my daughter is into Minecraft as well. Itā€™s fun to join her and help her understand how to think about games. Itā€™s a great first step and really easy to enjoy with her, too.

Yes, Splash Woman was the first and, so far, only female robot master. But I feel like ā€œrepresentationā€ is on the low end of the stick. Representation is great, but asking questions of identity is something that both fantasy/sci-fi and gaming are very good at. Fantasy can leave such questions open-ended, or provide various answers - something that I think we need more now than a steady direction. But these thoughts are coming from a straight, white, male; perhaps representation is more important to those who donā€™t see their particular identity represented well.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread, but you donā€™t know how happy was I when Star Wars started to have a lot of latino actors (Oscar Isaac, Diego Luna, Pedro Pascal). Iā€™d love to see the same in videogames.

1 Like

In terms of charactersā€¦ and their importanceā€¦ Metroid i think samus aran is the supreme one. itā€™s the character that few knew was female and was basically ā€˜a secretā€™ then as the series moved forward it become a more known thing.

i always kinda wondered about that, like why did they make it a secret. was it political? would it not be accepted? would boys not wanna play it? lol

In terms of pure characters and me liking them Guardian Legend! (hence the profile pic)

in terms of just games with girl PCsā€¦ I think probably Aliceā€¦ That game just wouldnt work without her LOL. :smiley:

Celeste, River City Girls, Mighty Switch Force, Super Princess Peach

My new favorite thing became Scott Pilgrim the World the Game, and almost half of the playable characters are female

I thought that was pretty neat

1 Like