Suggestion: Introduce half stars for ratings

Was this ever implemented Peter? I’d really love this option and would grab that gold if it was a feature like you suggested.

1 Like

RIP this option ever from being implemented it seems. : p
Honestly the whole argument against nuance saying that it convolutes things, can be ruled out with the simple fact that if you think that’s the case, then you don’t have to use half-stars yourself. If a 5-point scale works for you, then hey, a 5-point scale still exists in a 10-point scale (i.e. what a by-half-star 5-point system would be – idg why people are saying that’s not a 10-point system, because it literally is lol)

Anyway, just chiming in to agree with the OP. That middle ground would be really nice, but I at least hope that this custom rating @peter has mentioned is implemented some time soon. I only use ratings as a shorthand way to keep track of my overall personal experience with games. So the more nuance, the better (especially from literally only 5 options for hundreds of games – a 4/5 game can feel very noticeably different than a different 4/5, and I’d like to be able to distinguish that with at least a 3.5 or 4.5) ----- and again, if others can’t relate to that need for nuance, then they can still use whole star ratings – at least the option would be there.

3 Likes

Kind of :slight_smile: I started to implement this, and it was just a UI nightmare. It’s definitely on the back burner.

Here’s what thought process goes through my head every time I see one of these threads about 1/2 stars. I seriously consider allowing the option of half stars. I think about how I would do it if I did decide to do it. The best way I think I would do it is just round everyone’s score down for the purposes of averages and top games, but then let people have their half star display on their review/rating’s pages. I’d still end up storing 2 different scores in the database.

My big thing I always come back to is what is the purpose of rating a game? I use it as a way to gather games I find of similar quality (for lack of a better word). I’ve always felt like people could use ordered shelves to signal which game they enjoyed more or less. Then I just end up not implementing it. I understand that’s not what everyone wants though.

Maybe half stars is the thing that is holding thousands of people back from using Grouvee. I don’t know. I am seriously considering it again though. I’ve thought about putting up a poll, but I don’t think that’s the best way of getting the feel from everyone. I guess as long as it’s a checkbox option, it shouldn’t really matter.

5 Likes

Really hope this gets implemented, I’ve been having a hard time deciding which site to use for rating/listing games and the limited 5 star system is the only thing holding me back from thinking this is the perfect site.

1 Like

I think your idea of implementing half stars for individual users but rounding down is a fine compromise Peter, since I want stars for myself. Yes we can rank game, but I like being able to score my games, put them into lists and categories, then go to those lists and order by my score. The half star system would just break up the hundreds of games I’ve given fours and allow for that same nuance that @trayson was referencing above. But in the scheme of things, obviously a low priority, and just something I and some others obviously just personally want.

2 Likes

It’s been over a year, so I’m just bumping this to say I still want this every day I use this site lol.

2 Likes