OCD About Completed Games

I’ve been playing video games since the Atari 2600 and for as long as I can remember, I’ve kept track of the games I’ve completed. When I was young, I kept track of the games I completed on consoles like NES and Sega Genesis in a spiralbound notebook. Later, it was a spreadsheet on my computer where I recorded my finished titles. Then, with the advent of Google Sheets, I moved my list to my Google Drive where it lived for more years than I care to mention.

Then I found Grouvee in 2019 and moved my list here. Ever since, I have a shelf where I record the game I completed, the start and finish date and the approximate hours I played. Then I have the shelf arranged by completed date so I can see all my games in the order they were completed (With guesses for the games I completed back in the 80s and 90s, of course).

I was just wondering, am I alone in this moderately obsessive behavior of documenting my completed games or do other gamers track their completed games in relative detail?

4 Likes

At this point I just list what I’ve played/completed, usually in order of release date

I never kept a record until I discovered Grouvee, but I had been thinking it would be a good idea because I tended to replay games

I started from scratch at that point, as though I had never played anything before [Grouvee]–I figured that’d give me something to keep busy for a while

2 Likes

I can relate to you! That’s why I was so happy when I discovered Grouvee because now I can keep track of all my games, both completed and unplayed.

Before Grouvee, I put every game I owned in a Word file (which I still update today) and I would put in bold all the games I completed and put a personal score besides them.

But with Grouvee, it’s been so much easier keeping track of all my finished games and all my recently acquired games. And now I also write a pros/cons review for every game I complete so that the memories I had with a game would not be lost.

All this to say, you are not alone! Haha

3 Likes

My biggest OCD with completting games came when I was younger. I replayed Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 over a hundred times on EASY because I wanted to make sure I had “completed” the game. Man when I was an youngling with the original xbox I was pretty ridiculous.

2 Likes

No, I also keep track of the games I’ve finished as a kid. First I’d just type them on Windows’ notepad with date completed then I searched something similar to myanimelist and found another site (not going to advertise them here) that I keep using until last year that I found grouvee.

I liked how I can create custom shelves for my mmorpgs, mobile games and browser games (not exactly finished games but I won’t play them any more) and more different shelves types. I just don’t bother adding time played unless the game shows how much time I’ve played (like ff games).

Unrelated to the topic but I also do this with anime, mangas, movies, tv shows, books and asian dramas so I may be worse than you in keeping track of hobbies LOL but I really like organising so I may be biased.

1 Like

I’m with you on that one. I was wondering if games had a similar site to MAL, and eventually I found Grouvee and never looked back. Just like you, I feel compelled to obsessively track every hobby that I’m passionate about. I guess I just like looking at lists of things I own, and things I’ve experienced.

Goodreads, Strava and similar tools have made me realize I love collecting and saving data about my activities. Grouvee is perfect for that plus it has a nice community of people.

1 Like

Strava is great! If you like lifting weights, you should also check out Hevy!

1 Like

I ride my bike to work everyday. It’s about 16 miles round trip. I mostly use it for that to track my speed.