Monthly Retro Game Club

A few hints:

The crystals are weird and do different things. It took me a bit to learn it. Youll get the hang of it just remember where they are.

Sometimes you can jump over stuff. I found some of these jumps suprising. (“No way i was supposed to jump that?”)

It doesnt haopen ofen but Sometimes You can shoot stuff thrugh walls on the other side, (enemis switches and even other things.)

When you are an in invincibility it rechaeges health and oxygen. You can almost always go back to these to use them.

Sometimes crystal gates when knocked away stay knocked away, but sometimes they come back. This means you can reuse the key for the one that is gone for good to unlock the next gate.

Theres probably at least a dozen secret pasages through wallls you must use to complete levels so be looking for them if your stuck!

4 Likes

Ah thank you for the tips!!! I’ll try to keep these things in mind and come back to them for reference if I get stuck, should help me finish the game sooner rather than later :slight_smile: I know I have the whole rest of the month but I’ve been working like crazy (I work in journalism and we’ve been going non-stop since the pandemic started) and I have a lot of other games I’m juggling so we’ll see if I have to start marathoning through the end to finish or not lol.

2 Likes

Vib-Ribbon Progress

I don’t really get how the scoring works in this game. I’ll miss less than a handful of the inputs for the bronze course it seems, but still not pass 3000 points. The top score in-game is 6000. I wonder if you’re being scored by how close you are to each obstacle when you do the correct input, or if it’s all just a combo thing.

Bronze – 2978
Silver – 3765
Gold – 2745

My opinion of the six songs hasn’t changed much. I think I like the second bronze song the most, followed by the first silver. I kind of hate the second silver song. The others I don’t care for.

I have been trying more of my own music, but not doing well. The courses the game makes are pretty tough. I got to the very end of Guile’s Theme (I think I died on literally the last obstacle), and did all right with Lonely Rolling Star. But I got trounced quickly by The Concept of Love.

2 Likes

Update: I still have not passed the first stage of Ecco lol. I don’t know if it’s just my version or the game in general but I find the controls so frustrating. Every time I get a little further and figure out what to do next I end up dying one way or another. I’ll try to keep hammering at it for at least a little while each day but if I don’t make any progress, apparently the game is available on Steam so I’ll try switching to that (even if it costs me a few shekels) and see if my experience improves.

3 Likes

Megalovania!

2 Likes

What?! That’s what that screen is for? I thought it was for entering some kind of username and was puzzled when it wouldn’t let me save it.

2 Likes

I read this FAQ which clears a bit about the scoring system:

Q7: How else can I get points?
A: A few more points can be gained though freestyling. If you perform a move
on the line before a shape that did not require that move to clear it you will
get a small freestyle bonus if you then clear the shape successfully.
Eg. You see wave coming up, but do a move for clearing a block just before
then quickly clear the wave. Just doing a wave move before would get you
nothing.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten in on this month’s club a little bit!

I got a MiSTer setup and an M30 8bitdo this past week, and one of the first things I fired up was Ecco the Dolphin. It looks beautiful with this setup. I guess the MiSTer software has some kind of screenshot feature built in, so I’ll try and capture some to show it off.

The game is bizarre, and maybe not for me. I initially was playing the game with a SNES controller, and I really didn’t like that. The M30 has made it a little more bearable, but it’s such an odd game. I made it through the first level by accident. I’ve been swimming around in the second level trying to figure out
what the hell to do for a while.

I had no idea about the password thing though. Maybe I’ll try and skip around to different levels just to see what else it has to offer.

5 Likes

I finally beat the first stage of Ecco! Once I slowed down and used the strategy of exploring every part of a stage beforehand so I know exactly what to expect as I move forward, I did much better. My main problem was just trying to rush forward and the reason I was annoyed by the controls was because they weren’t great for on-the-fly dodging but they work well enough for navigating a pre-determined path. It’s a little tough on the second stage though which takes a lot more time and effort to explore due to the currents shoving you back up to the top constantly. But at least I have a better strategy for the rest of the game going forward.

3 Likes

I managed to rescue the dolphins in Ecco, at the very least. Deadlier creatures will continue to be introduced the further along I go though, I’m sure. I saw this post on the Sega Genesis subreddit the other day, seemed appropriate to share here.

Feel like this is an odd game to compare to Sonic 2. Ecco is very stop-and-go, and explore every nook and cranny in every direction – Sonic is very momentum-based, and primarily just moving from left to right without many roadblocks (and if you are ever stopped, you can get right back going in just a second).

Out of This World and Lost Vikings seem apt enough comparisons though. The former especially has similar vibes, from what I’ve seen of it.

Don’t see how Ecco is like StarTropics at all when it comes to vibes, to be honest. (Unless you just mean… there’s an ocean.) They are pretty much the exact opposite from each other in terms of tone and atmosphere. Ecco is very serious and moody; StarTropics is very lighthearted and goofy. I guess you explore in both and solve puzzles, and the combat is difficult and stilted. But that’s more game mechanics-related.

Definitely the most frustrating thing for me while playing this game so far, lol. After one particularly difficult segment, I got rid of a crystal blocking my way, but found I was pretty much out of air. Since this is Ecco, I knew I couldn’t count on there being an oxygen refill point after the gate, so I swam back to an earlier location for air. I make my way back… and that damn crystal is there again, looking as guiltless as a giant gemstone can manage.

I will throw out, that if you buy the Steam version ($1) you should be able to apply Steam mods to the game. There is a “chill edition mod” for Ecco, which lets you play through the game without having to worry about health or air. Still won’t be a walk in the park (considering the level design, Ecco can never be an Abzu experience), but it would be significantly more manageable.

Thanks for joining in! Ecco is definitely not an easy game to just start playing. I think “trying to figure out what the hell to do” is just part of the experience, but over time things start to flow a little more smoothly.

5 Likes

hehe, it is a weird comparison but is it a bad one? the way you jump in this game is also momentum based and its so much FUN to just swim fast in it and jump out of the water aimlessly, because you know that’s what dolphins do! :smiley:

The puzzles slow it down and get in the way of making it like sonic2 yea, but many of the places you must go through you have to be fast because either you need he speed to make a jump, enemies are chasing you, or air/breath.

I gotta say don’t be afraid to cheat through this game and look at gamefaq for some of the tougher levels. Ecco is fun to play with ‘help’ i would not endure this game for long otherwise. When a game designer says ‘we made it hard because we were afraid a kid would rent it and beat it one night’ that tells me to do exactly that.

I dont think there is any way in hell i could beat some spots in this game legit. Wait until you guys see some of the things they pull…

EDIT: removed spoilers (spoiler tags not working or i forget againhow to use)

4 Likes

I’ve made it to the fourth level so far but when it starts to become more frustrating and I’m running out of time before the end of the month I’ll probably take your advice and find a GameFaqs guide to follow. When I was a kid sometimes when I finished a game I would print out a GameFaqs guide (before I had a smartphone or iPad or anything to easily read it off lol) and play the game again following the guide exactly to see if I missed anything or better strategies I could have used along the way. So doing the same with Ecco (even though it’ll be on my first playthrough) will be nostalgiac! I’ll probably use my iPad this time though lol.

3 Likes

Man, those two “rescue three dolphins” levels. The thing is, finding each dolphin is hard enough – but the game makes you find each one, bring each one back to the dolphin leader, AND make your way to the exit… all in one life. With nearly every single creature in the ocean out for specifically Ecco’s blood. My hat’s off to all the kids out there who managed to beat those two levels, let alone the rest of the game.

What’s kind of funny is that I’ve since breezed through the next several levels without any issue. Even though there’s now about a hundred sharks in each level, I just zip past them. (Those damn homing missile crabs, on the other hand…)

I really liked the ice level that had Ecco jumping onto ice floes, sliding across from one waterway to the next. Just when I thought Ecco couldn’t get any cuter, he starts acting like a little penguin.

This is definitely a game worth using a guide for. I try my best to do levels without it… but there have been several times where I feel like I’m doing what the game wants me to, but for whatever reason things don’t work out. For example there was a time I found spinning star rock things, which I figured out I could move with my sonar. Since a boulder had magically appeared out of thin air (water) to block my path, I figured I needed to move the spinning star rock things over to magically break the boulder. I tried several times, but the spinning star rock things kept disappearing. Had to look up the guide, and see that yes I was indeed on the right track… the spinning rock star things just magically disappear for no reason after a very limited amount of time. (Because this is Ecco the Dolphin.)

I’m curious now to see if there was an official guide made for Ecco. There had to be, right? Almost feel like the game should’ve come with a guide, lol.

4 Likes

Are all you dolphin lovers hanging in there??? I’m past the frozen levels at least, and getting into the part where things start(?) to get weird.

Enjoy this British ad for the game:

Also, I strongly recommend watching this video, for anyone interested in the making of Ecco the Dolphin! Certainly made me appreciate the game physics and the creative direction behind the art and music a bit more, at least. I never realized how much this is actually a Hungarian game.

One tidbit I liked – play testers apparently recommended adding scuba diver enemies to spice things up, but Ed Annunziata was determined to keep the game human-free. I’m glad that aspect of his vision was maintained; I think it’s a big part of what makes Ecco unique.

5 Likes

Ecco the Dolphin Progress

Here are some tips for those of you having trouble in the Atlantis levels (like I did):

• There’s a part where you have to move a block past multiple large pits. If you push the block, it will gradually sink to the bottom of the pit. What you’re going to have to do, is stick Ecco’s head right under the block (have his head facing you directly) by pressing down, and then press up – he will lift the block up with his nose and kind of balance it like a ball. Slowly continue swimming upward, and the block will (magically) slide a bit onto the next ledge over. It took me forever to figure this out, lol. Basically, just make sure you’re moving down and then up with the block in a straight line – don’t try to do some kind of spin to gradually push it upward, like I kept trying to do for like a half hour.
  • If you use your sonar on the statues, some of them will give you invincibility sparkles… just like in the Sonic games. More significantly, this replenishes your health and your air! Extremely helpful, if not vital for some areas.
  • At the start of one of the levels, you’re going to have to make a huge jump out of the water, all the way over a really high wall. Absolutely worthy of Sea World. It took me forever to get this jump right. You’re going to have to be swimming fast, and upon leaping out of the water at just the right angle, you’ll do a dash that will translate into a god-tier super jump that’ll launch Ecco up and over. It took me like a hundred tries to get this one. OTL

Perhaps fitting for the earlier Dark Souls comparison, the Atlantis library level had some interesting lore to parse through. This isn’t Isaac Asimov-level sci-fi, but it’s still pretty fun stuff.

3 Likes

While playing more Ecco, I realized I didn’t actually know how to use the sonar to hurt enemies (which was supposedly a power-up received upon rescuing the dolphins). The game never says how, to my credit. But looking online, it seems you have to press B for your dash, and then A for your sonar immediately afterward. This will send off an attack echo, instead of dashing. Would’ve been really helpful! Oh well, I’ll be using it now.

2 Likes

And today, I’ve finished playing through Ecco the Dolphin! Never thought this day would come, but there’s a classic Genesis game to finally scratch off my bucket list. I’ll share some thoughts on the last section of the game now.

Ecco the Dolphin Spoilers

My greatest nemesis in this game is… Well, it’s a tie between the respawning crystal gates… and hidden passageways in the walls. I spent forever trying to figure out where to go in the Dark Water level. T_T Of course, I had to swim through a wall. But at least I managed to create a time paradox! It would’ve taken me a hundred tries to defeat the double helix boss without save states.

After all the time traveling is completed, I get to swim in the alien ship (which looks really cool). Makes me think of the Borg cubes from Star Trek. But setting aside the aesthetic… damn these alien ship levels! Now I get why “Welcome to the Machine” is such an infamous level. Ecco suddenly becomes a weird sort of shmup, but in an auto-scrolling maze where you can get squished between walls and the edge of the screen. This sort of gimmick in old video games always felt so lame to me. What is killing Ecco in-universe? He’s getting squished between a wall and… nothing. It’s dumb.

I’m also not surprised the Japanese release added checkpoints to this level. Because holy crap, it just goes on and on. And just when you think it’s gone for way too long, it keeps going… for a whole lot longer! At this point Ecco goes from being a really difficult game (which I can accept… begrudgingly), to one that’s absolutely absurd.

The icing on the cake is that this level ends with the final boss – which of course is going to be extremely tough – but if you die there, you have to start all the way over. Not to the beginning of the boss – the beginning of the whole level! Yup, I’m glad I was using save states. Because even then, this was a pain to get through. You know you’re in for a rough time, when the basic mooks of the giant final boss can insta-kill you in half a second. Because obviously the giant final boss can too (and will, lol). But difficulty aside, what a freaky final boss. That had to be nightmare fuel for the kids who (somehow) went up against it!

3 Likes

I’ll share some screenshots for Ecco the Dolphin now.

Ending spoilers toward the bottom!

ecco 1

Freaky ocean creature #1: the octopus. I’ll be honest, I think the octopus is a truly unsettling creature. It not only looks scary, but it basically has a bunch of superpowers, AND is apparently one of the smartest animals in the world. They can squeeze through a pipe and infiltrate your home, probably strangle you to death in your sleep. In Ecco the Dolphin, the cruel beast apparently likes to toy with our hapless hero.

ecco 2

I LOVE the backgrounds in this game! The Genesis perhaps couldn’t pull off water rippling effects like the SNES could, but perhaps that is for the best. Less distractions to get in the way of this beautiful pixel art.

ecco 3

ecco 4

My favorite levels? The ice world. I always like snowy levels in old video games, it seems.

ecco 5

Freaky ocean creature #2: the giant crab. I am always freaked out by crabs and lobsters in real life. Perhaps if I grew up eating seafood a lot more, I wouldn’t mind them. But I would never go near one. A crab is basically a huge spider wearing armor… and has CLAWS. Do not want.

ecco 6

The ruins of Atlantis was a nice change of scenery.

ecco 7

ecco 8

DINOSAURS! Or at least, one dinosaur. I really wish they could’ve animated its wings flapping.

ecco 9

Freaky ocean creature #3: the giant eel. Everyone who has played Mario 64 knows the terror of swimming up to a massive eel.

ecco 10

Nobody knew it before playing Ecco the Dolphin, but the greatest bastard of the sea? It’s the trilobite. I certainly wouldn’t have guessed that would be the fastest-swimming creature in world history. Not to mention, the most dolphin-hating creature in world history. Good thing they went extinct!

ecco 11

And here we are, the worst level of the 16-bit era! Okay, maybe not the worst, but damn was this wild. How many lives did poor Ecco have to lose here? A million?

ecco 12

Gonna be honest, I did not expect the final boss to be this level of nightmare fuel. Now I’m imagining kids entering the level select code to see what the final boss is like, and being exposed to THIS, lol. Yup, scarred for life. I wouldn’t be surprised if something like this actually exists down in the ocean depths.

ecco 13

YEAH DOLPHINS

ecco 14

Ecco does such a good job, he gets thanked three times at the end of the credits! I guess that means three cheers, for our bottlenosed buddy.

Any final thoughts from anyone on this game? I feel like there’s a lot that could be discussed, but things kind of died down here the past couple weeks. :dolphin: :skull:

6 Likes

Final thoughts:

Ecco the Dolphin – beautiful game with a strong atmosphere, very unique for its time. But hard as hell! Needlessly frustrating for many levels – but especially for the final level, which is absurd. Definitely a game worth checking out with save states though IMO. The story was not nearly as strange as internet memers made it out to be. I was thinking I probably wouldn’t bother with the follow-ups to this game, but after watching a video overview of the franchise I think I actually will give Tides of Time and Jr a try one day. Tides of Time apparently tones down the difficulty a fair amount, and pushes the Genesis even further for its graphics. Meanwhile Ecco Jr provides a younger audience with a chance to freely swim around as a cute dolphin, presumably without constant threat of death. I’m pretty curious about both titles.

Random aside – Did anyone else feel the minimalist UI for this game was ahead of its time? I found it pretty slick.

Vib-Ribbon – I didn’t play this as often as I planned to, partly because I had played it a bit before this month, and partly because Ecco took a lot of my time and attention. But I think Vib-Ribbon is a pretty good little rhythm game with a cute rabbit. An amusing diversion at the very least! The extremely limited content for hand-crafted levels is a bummer, so I think it would be cool for this game to get a Steam release or something so that modders can have at it. In the meantime though, I think I’ll revisit this one just once in a blue moon – maybe I can have some friends give it a shot with music of their own choosing, could be fun for a sort of party game.

Random aside – Should I check out Parappa the Rapper? Perhaps I really ought to, though I don’t care for rap. Interestingly, the creators attempted to Kickstart a new game a while back, which would’ve been about a rapping rabbit. It did not meet its goals though, which is too bad.

(Random aside for the random aside – the creator of Ecco also had a failed Kickstarter for a spiritual successor game… I guess the world just isn’t ready for more content from this month’s retro games!)

4 Likes

For June 2020, the retro games of the month shall be:

• Onimusha: Warlords – 2001 – action-adventure
  • SNK Gals’ Fighters – 2000 – fighting

Onimusha: Warlords is the first in an action-adventure franchise set in Japan’s Sengoku era. You play as a samurai named Samanosuke, who needs to rescue Princess Yuki from monsters. The game plays as a 3D hack-and-slash with a katana, but with the added gimmick of a “demon gauntlet” that allows you to absorb the souls of defeated enemies. Red souls are used for weapon upgrades, blue souls recover MP (for special elemental abilities), and yellow souls recover health. At times you also play as Samanosuke’s ninja partner Kaede.

In 1997, Yoshiki Okamoto (influential for Capcom games such as Final Fight and Street Fighter II) pitched the idea of a Resident Evil game set in the Sengoku era, with the mansion from RE being a “ninja house” filled with traps. It eventually became a project for the original Playstation, but it was scrapped about halfway through when they decided to make the game for the new Playstation 2 instead. Like Resident Evil, Onimusha features fixed camera views for each location, tank controls (moving in a straight line, up = forward), solving puzzles, and plenty of monsters. However, Onimusha is generally not considered a survival horror because of its much greater focus on action combat.

Onimusha was a big success, becoming the Playstation 2’s first game to sell a million copies. It would go on to get three sequels on the system, as well as a fighting game spinoff (also on PS2) and a tactics RPG (for the Game Boy Advance). After 2006, it was pretty much radio silence for the franchise, until an HD re-release of the original game arrived in 2019 for all modern consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Steam PC). It has been interesting to see a shift in the game’s critical reception over the two decades, so I’m curious to hear what people think for this one, and the topic of older games standing “the test of time.”

I will be playing this re-release on Switch. It is not a full-blown remake (like Capcom’s recent Resident Evil releases), but it does have an upgrade in graphical presentation and controls (giving the option to move about with the joystick like most modern 3D games). It is worth noting that there is another version of the original game that was released for the original Xbox, titled Genma Onimusha. That one has a variety of exclusive content, such as areas to explore, a boss, costumes, charged attacks, and green souls that grant temporary invincibility. Howlongtobeat dot com says it takes 4-5 hours to beat Onimusha: Warlords.

SNK Gals’ Fighters is a 1-on-1 fighting game released for the Neo Geo Pocket Color in 2000. For those unfamiliar, this was a 16-bit handheld gaming console that ran from 1999 to 2001, as a follow-up to the monochrome Neo Geo Pocket released in 1998. The Pocket Color was not a financial success, but it is fondly remembered both for its hardware (particularly for its “clicky” thumbstick) and its extensive library of fighting games (such as King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, The Last Blade, and SNK vs Capcom).

These fighting games look and play pretty similarly to each other, and that goes for SNK Gals’ Fighters as well. As the title implies, this game features a crossover cast of female characters from SNK’s various franchises (8 playable from the start, plus 2 more to unlock). Past this premise, perhaps what stands out the most in Gals’ Fighters is its lighthearted tone, giving each of the chibi characters a variety of creative and visually-amusing attacks. The presentation and story in general is reminiscent of wacky cartoons. Combos are simpler than in many other fighting games, and an item system offers some replayability. I’m pretty curious about this latter feature, which lets you unlock and equip items to fiddle with gameplay in various ways (fill up your special gauge faster, temporary invincibility, opponent starts with less health, etc).

This game was recently re-released on the Switch, which features some extra bells and whistles (customizable Neo Geo Pocket Color on-screen, rewind feature, head-to-head 2-player mode).

Please feel free to share your thoughts on either (or both) of these games as you play them over the course of June. If you finish, you can give a mini-review if you’d like. Let us know if you think these games stand the test of time!

7 Likes