Monthly Retro Game Club

Nothing can beat half life 2. Especially on the original xbox.

1 Like

Metroid: Zero Mission, Pikmin 2 and Cave Story are our front runners so far. We’ll see if that lasts.

3 Likes

I actually have Thousand Year Door in my backlog so I’d probably play that one!

2 Likes

That let’s play is tempting but i really wanna play this game but never did unlock it in metal gear solid Subsistence. maybe one day i’ll sit down and emulate a T+Eng’d version in the MSX2 and experience it properly and check out the other top 20 or so games for the console according to Bing. I’ve been creating art for the game covers hoping to be inspired to play it soon and have some more MSX2 under my retrobelt

I love that music too, and that cover art is just sick… i was inspired to have bing make some art based on it for metal gear solid 2 and metal gear 2: solid snake in about four different styles.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

4 Likes

I realized I own Cave Story on the EPIC store, I guess it was a giveaway at some point. I read the Wikipedia article about it and it seems to be a game one should at least have looked at, although Metroidvania platform-adventure is a genre I usually stay away from.

I have installed it and I will give it a try, but I doubt I will last longer than an hour or two and then have to resort to a video playthrough. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I started it and I don’t know how into I am. Also, being on the Epic Store, and realizing I’ve only played two other games from the Epic Store prior to this, albeit via Heroic Launcher on my Steam Deck, I’m now understanding why people hate the Epic launcher as much as they do. It’s quite bad. No controller support, no way to exit a game like Cave Story which doesn’t have its own exit to desktop option from within game and no Epic Launcher overlay I can trigger with a controller. I guess I can add the Cave Story executable to Steam and get around this that way.

2 Likes

That is beutiful artwork that you posted man!

1 Like

thank you. i made quite a bit of them but thought those were the best ones… I thought it was especially cool how it identified and tried to recreate the MSX2 packaging. The fact it did that was what inspired me to have it 'do the same but for game XYZ on system ABC. That’s how I made those Cover arts that I posted to the page for Snatcher. I’m doing this for the top games for MSX2, hoping that it might encourage me to continue to play ‘catch up’ for that console :smiley: I also did some for Vampire Killer. many which aren’t that great. But here are some of the better ones:

Vampire Killer (MSX2)

Anyone know what “ColorMaster videocassette”(?) might be? is that something with MSX2 or is it something random they made up?

Supposedly they are all styled after Vampire Hunter D. You be the judge. I personally don’t see a resemblance to either anime. I Do however particularly like this one. Looks perfect for a fan fic (b)romance

Today, been playing around some more with Mega Man. I really liked the Cat Robot (Tama) in Mega Man 3 and at some point thought I’d create a Tiger Tank that was elements of both Tiger and Tank. I notice in anime Japanese artists/writers seem to LOVE making references to german military or whatever maybe because they were allies. It took me a while to figure out how to get this prompt to go through. I think it was making historical references to german army that could get it flagged for a number of reasons, but arent these lovely?

Mega Man (NES)

enter image description here

this is my fave. i want this on a Tshirt!

1 Like

Are these [Metroid: Zero Mission/Pikmin 2/Cave Story] confirmed at this point

2 Likes

Nothing beats playing the original mega man!

1 Like