Monthly Retro Game Club

Oh of course. I just think it would matter more in this situation to actually be able to play it with someone. I would think about it with my eldest daughter, but she doesn’t have the first clue about the Genesis, let alone hockey. haha

1 Like

I had one final thought: the original Animal Crossing for GameCube has holiday themed elements and, given it was released in 2021, also counts as a retro game. In light of this, I think I’ll put the games to a poll. For those who wish to participate, you can pick three options from the list below. The three that receive the most votes will be our December Retro Game Club picks.

Please pick three games below:

December Retro Game Club Game Selection
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble! (SNES, Nintendo Online; using the MERRY code to activate holiday themed elements)
  • Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams (PC, Xbox; as part of NiGHTS into Dreams)
  • Home Alone (Sega Genesis)
  • Animal Crossing (Game Cube)

0 voters

1 Like

Breaks my heart to see DKC 3 get so few votes

2 Likes

Honestly even though I recommended it, I’m a bit taken aback that Home Alone is so popular, and it’s not even the actual movie but the mediocre game. Things that make you go hmm.

4 Likes

I haven’t voted yet, but I am fairly surprised by that. I thought AC would knock Christmas Nights or Home Alone out of the running, not DKC3.

1 Like

I think it could be the fact that given this is a retro club, people might be inclined to want to play something slightly more obscure from that era rather than a mainline and popular SNES entry because it lets them play something they wouldn’t play under other circumstances.

2 Likes

If you want obscure, you could go with the N64 version of Animal Crossing? :wink: It certainly has been a while since I last visited my town, which is surely overrun with weeds and cockroaches by now. I might have to return anyways, whatever gets chosen.

1 Like

These are good points.

1 Like

Aren’t they the same game, with the GameCube version just being an enhanced version of the N64 version?

2 Likes

In a way they are the same, but it depends what you refer to as enhanced as they added and tweaked items for the better in the GameCube port which drastically alters gameplay in my eyes. Just looking at the changes to tools add to that for me, with the nerfing of the axe and addition of golden tools.

1 Like

From my perspective the GameCube (GCN) version is the ideal version for the following reasons:

1. Localization for the GCN version doesn’t require a rom hack. I know downloading a version that has been hacked to include translations is not difficult, but I think I’d prefer a game with official localization.
  2. Better emulator options for GCN than N64. I’ve run into a lot of problems with solid N64 emulation in the past and never an issue with Dolphin. I think emulating the GCN version will present fewer roadblocks.
  3. Those who wish to skip emulation and play a physical copy will likely have an easier time doing so with the GCN.

If someone desperately wants to play the N64 version they are welcome to do so, I just don’t want to make the one that is slightly more onerous to play the official pick.

2 Likes

If I were to pick it up again, it would be the GameCube but it is interesting to see the differences, some of which can drastically alter gameplay. Honestly importing a lot of titles just isn’t worth it unless you are a die hard collector. Way too expensive these days but we’ll see once inflation in the U.S. is controlled a bit. I can’t speak on other countries and how it is affecting them.

1 Like

Is that a braniac reference lmao? Haven’t seen that show in years

1 Like

Unfortunately not but anything with Richard Hammond is up my alley. I’ll have to check it out.

2 Likes

I’m not going to close it early, but it does look like our three titles for December will be Animal Crossing, Home Alone & Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams.

4 Likes

The polls are officially closed, and we have our three titles for December:

Animal Crossing (Nintendo GameCube)

Animal Crossing is a social simulation game, dubbed a “communication game” by Nintendo.[3] It is open-ended, and the player’s character can live a separate life with very little set plot or mandatory tasks. Players assume the role of a new resident to the town. The gender and looks of the character depend on answers given to a cat named Rover, whom the player meets on the train the character takes to the town. There are also tasks that players can complete and goals they can achieve. The game is played in real-time, observing days, weeks, months and years using the GameCube’s internal clock. Many real-life events and holidays span the year, including Independence Day, Halloween, the Harvest Festival (Thanksgiving), and Toy Day (Christmas). Other activities, such as fishing tournaments and early-morning fitness classes, occur on a regular schedule. (Source: Animal Crossing (video game) - Wikipedia)

Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams (PC, Xbox; as part of NiGHTS into Dreams)

Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams, also known as Christmas NiGHTS or Christmas NiGHTS Sampler, is a promotional sampler disc of NiGHTS into Dreams that was originally released during the 1996 holiday season for the Sega Saturn. The game follows the story of NiGHTS, Elliot and Claris trying to find the missing star from the Twin Seeds’ Christmas tree.

This game was later bundled with the NiGHTS into Dreams HD remasters, where it appears as an unlockable. (Source: Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams | Nights into Dreams Wiki | Fandom)

Home Alone (Sega Genesis)
Sega Genesis box art for Home Alone with Kevin McAlister featured on the cover doing his signature double handed cheek slap and a speech bubble that reads "holy cow!"

There are multiple versions of the game and each features a different style of gameplay, but all share the same plot and roughly the same objective from the film: Kevin McCallister is left home alone when his family goes on Christmas vacation to Paris. He must prevent Harry and Marv, the “Wet Bandits”, from burgling his home, using various household objects as traps and/or weapons.

The Genesis and Game Gear versions feature a slightly different plot. While the games still revolve around Kevin’s battle with the Wet Bandits, he instead must protect several houses in his neighborhood while waiting 20 minutes for the police to arrive (40 on higher difficulties). (Source: Home Alone (video game) - Wikipedia)

Happy retro holiday gaming!

5 Likes

It stinks to show up late to this and realize I coulda worked on making you play DKC3.

2 Likes

Lol, I even tagged you early in the process because I thought you’d do exactly that.

1 Like

Curious which game people are starting with for their own December retro adventure. I started Animal Crossing and I’m kind of impressed that Nook already had a Christmas tree as one of the random items in the shop yesterday. I purchased it and have it on display in my house, so I’m off to a festive start.

5 Likes

I think I’ll start with animal crossing as i’ve always found it to be a game that’s good to dip in and out of for an hour a day or so. I’ll probably play through christmas nights first and then save home alone for when it gets a bit closer to christmas day

2 Likes