Mario Movie Discussion

The Super Mario Super Show theme ! And, I heard that was Jeannie Elias in the commercial

yeah hearing that brought back memories and was a nice and unexpected touch. the music and sound effects/sound board in this movie was really enjoyable. lots of nostalgia nad humor. I was a bit curious as to Jack Black being casted as bowser. But OMG he did a great job.

Koopalings would be a hope of mine for the sequel. I think the retconning of the Koopalings as Bowser’s children would hold for a movie depiction considering Bowser’s film characterization as a simp.

yeah amen. bring back the Koopa Kids!

I personally would love to see a “super mario bros 2 - This aint no game, this aint no kids movie!” (aka live action sequel) with the dystopian bits cranked up and basically everything in that movie that was the way it was… just doubled down.

2 Likes

Super Mario Movie 2: Rated R

Actually, Luigi & co’s [prospective] fate was pretty grim for a movie; that wasn’t very nice of Bowser. I wouldn’t’ve done that to Luigi, if I were Bowser

Some of you probably know that there was a cartoon, back in my day, where the Koopa kids were indeed Bowser’s kids [no mother was mentioned]. A struggling single father…oh, maybe that’s why he wants the Princess !

1 Like

Watching this right now.

2 Likes

Update, I watched it. It was fine. It had a couple cute moments but it didn’t blow me away. It was very standard Illumination fair, similar to things like The Secret Life of Pets, with similar plot beats. Illumination tends to follow the same general feel good formula, while occasionally going more abstract with things like Minions. I thought this film would be more like Minions and I was surprised it was more aligned with Illumination’s other narrative films. I acknowledge the film was better than I expected but still very much operates as a giant Easter egg hunt where most of the pleasure comes from counting all the intertextual references. However, I did really enjoy Donkey and Cranky Kong because both Rogen and Armisen clearly said “fuck accurate characterization” and just pretty much did their regular schtick to entertaining effect. Arguably so did Day but his usual schtick works for Luigi.

Anyway, it was fine. I didn’t have a bad time but I also don’t think this is something I’m going to revisit regularly. I’d watch a sequel, so I suppose mission accomplished for Illumination.

P.S. ok, the nihilistic luma was great! Nothing like an openly suicidal character in a Mario movie to bring the laughs. Almost made up for the lack of Rosalina.

2 Likes

Highly accurate:

1 Like