M1 Macs and PlayStation Remote Play

Does anyone have one of the new M1 Macs and have you tried to use PlayStation remote play on that machine? I am considering an M1 MacBook Air and want to verify the current state of PS Remote Play compatibility. Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

2 Likes

I’m curious about this too. The new iPad Pro with the M1 that got announced today supports both the PS 5 controller and the Xbox series controller. I don’t know why the mac line of products wouldn’t too.

I’m really liking the look of the colored iMacs they announced today too.

1 Like

I think the latest test build of macOS supports the controllers, but last I knew the desktop remote play app only runs on Intel build. I am sure it runs in Rosetta 2 but I wonder if everything works properly.

I guess in theory the iPad app runs on the M1 MacBook, unless they’ve blocked it.

1 Like

There is a brief discussion on this here…

It looks like currently only the DualShock 4 is supported on the Mac though with DS5 support later down the line.

I’m still morning the loss of Bootcamp. Admittedly I didn’t use it that much, but it had it’s uses (it played Windows / PC Dark Souls flawlessly and I was even able to “Steam Link” it from my study to TV downstairs when required!). Most titles I play either on my PS4 or 27" Intel iMac. Not sure if I’ve got the room or can justify buying another system for Windows PC gaming. Bye bye Bootcamp :o(

The DualSense and Xbox Series X controllers are supported in iOS 14.5 and macOS 11.3, both of which should be out pretty shortly. It’s up and running in the current beta being tested.

Don’t give up on the idea yet. The Arm build of Windows 10 is running on M1 macs, albeit through a beta of Parallels. It’s not quite bootcamp but it’s a start. I hold out hope that someone out there will figure out a way to boot into Windows on an M1. We’ll see.

1 Like

@BMO @peter Do you still need info on this? We just got some shiny new M1s at work and I could test for you. I only have a PS4, though.

2 Likes

I am still curious! After these new MacBook Pro machines got announced, I’ve thought about getting one of the “old” M1 machines again. I don’t know if there would be that different of a driver would be used for the PS5 controller vs the PS4 controller though.

1 Like

@WerkQueen, now that Sony released an M1 version of the Remote Play app it’s less crucial, but I’d always love to hear from someone who has tested.

@Peter I’m also considering the older M1 because I want a MacBook Air. The newer processors are impressive but I don’t think I need the extra power. Regarding the controllers, both should work because the drivers are built into the most recent macOS builds. We shouldn’t have any problems on an M1 Mac.

@BMO @peter I’ll get back to you this weekend

2 Likes

I lied, will get to it tonight.

1 Like

Lol, not to worry there’s no rush. In your own time.

As you can see, I remain a filthy liar. I’ll get to it soon, it’s been a weird time at work and I’m there later into the evenings.

2 Likes

I got myself an M1 Max MacBook Pro here recently. I need to give this a try! I’d kind of forgotten about this thread.

2 Likes

LOL I’m a horrible person. I forgot too. Sorry.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it works without issue because there’s a dedicated M1 app from Sony now.