Kirais’s Grouvee Challenge 2023

Happy new year everyone! It’s 2023 now and this year I want to start try to tackle the Grouvee challenge for the first time. I can’t find an more updated instructions so I will use the 2021 version: 2021 Grouvee Challenge How-To Instructions

Here we go!

4 Likes

I bought a PS5 last year and before that I was strictly a Nintendo console player so I have a lot to catch up! The new PS Plus subscription plan is great for that so I’ll try to play to tackle this challenge mostly using PS Plus Extra and Premium game library.

2 Likes

Hello Kirais!

I like this idea very much, to help me play games from my backlog and help which ones to choose.

I will first try to get all my games into my account so I actually know what I own, since I lost oversight :sweat_smile: some time ago and after that I plan to start in Febuary with this challenge too.

I wish you a ot of fun catching up on PS games and success with your challenge!

Nele

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: Having this definitely helps with tackling the backlog or a subscription because there are really too many games to choose from and I spend way too much time deciding on which games to play instead of playing :sweat_smile: Hope you have fun tackling the challenge as well.

1 Like

I started reading the rules and uh didn’t finish the rules. Long and short of this is I am trying to fill out as much of the excel doc as possible?

1 Like

More or less. One important thing to note is that the topics are grouped and the goal is to tackle as many “groups” as possible. The explanation written on the far right of the spreadsheet explains it pretty well I think.

1 Like

Cross posting from the main site as an update to this thread.

2023 Games Retrospective

The goal of this year was to explore new games and experiences. I have been Nintendo-exclusive until last year when I bought a PS5. I also subscribed to PS Plus Extra (and later Premium). At the beginning of the year, I started the Grouvee challenge. And that turned out to be a great experience.

There are many groups in the Grouvee challenge; I chose only two groups (10 games each) to tackle since I have very limited gaming time with two kids and a busy job (in a good year I can play around 300 hours). I failed to complete either individual group but I don’t feel ashamed. I enjoyed the whole experience; almost all the games I played were good and some are the best games I have ever played. The Grouvee challenge is not very popular but I would encourage more people to try. We have too many games to play now, the challenge helps decide which ones to play and more importantly encourage you to explore games that you would not normally play.

enter image description here

Stats

• Beat: 17 + 1 (Uncharted 3 was not included in the challenge as it doesn’t fit any category)
  • Playing: 1 (Danganronpa)
  • Paused: 1 (Portal 2)
  • Dropped: 2 (ICO, Disco Elysium)

Games

GOTY

Inscryption

Games I wouldn’t play without the challenge

• The Secret of the Monkey Island
  • Inscryption
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • GRIS
  • Ratchet & Clank: Drift Apart

Unique Experience

• Inscryption
  • GRIS
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • The Stanley Parable

Disappointed

• Portal 2
  • The Secret of the Monkey Island
  • Nier: Automata
  • ICO
  • Disco Elysium

Surprised

• Inscryption
  • The Stanley Parable

Lessons

• Played many different games and those I enjoyed the most are unique indie games
  • Play more indie games

One issue with the challenge and similarly having a PS Plus subscription is that it favors shorter games. While I love shorter games, many of the best games are long games (think Baldur’s Gate 3, Elden Ring, etc.) So I would like to play one or two long games. With that in mind, I plan to continue the game challenge next year. But instead of starting brand new, I plan to finish the three entries I haven’t finished in the two groups, namely Portal 2, Danganronpa and The Case of the Golden Idol. And then I’ll tackle only one group (10 games) and that’s different from the two groups I have tackled.

My current plan is to tackle the group “Piles of Shame” where each entry is a game from different year from 2023 back to before 2015.

• 2023: Cocoon
  • 2022: Elden Ring (because DLC is coming soon)
  • 2021: Disco Elysium The Final Cut
  • 2020: Final Fantasy VII Remake (because Rebirth is coming out next year)
  • 2019: Outer Wilds
  • 2018: Return of the Obra Dinn
  • 2017: Wolfenstein II
  • 2016: Titanfall 2
  • 2015: Batman Arkham Knight
  • 2014 or older: Grand Theft Auto V (because VI is coming and I have never played GTA V because I have lived in the Nintendo world for too long!)

3 Likes

Awsome challenge you have going on here!

1 Like