Hayao Miyazaki Etc

What’s your favorite Hayao Miyazaki movie?

• Castle of Cagliostro
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  • Castle in the Sky
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Kiki’s Delivery Service
  • Porco Rosso
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Spirited Away
  • Howl’s Moving Castle
  • Ponyo
  • The Wind Rises
  • How Do You Live? (Imma time trabbler)

0 voters

3 Likes

You know he made some good shit when there’s no definitive most popular film.

3 Likes

Porco Rosso is probably my second fav of his and while it pains me to see it not receive any votes on this pill so far, I also understand people who prefer Miyazaki’s other work. He’s a top tier director (animation or otherwise) who’s work is very consistent in quality.

Very excited for How Do You Live.

4 Likes

I might have voted for Porco Rosso, but my one vote had to go to Nausicaã.

6 Likes

I need to get on watching some more of these. I’m basic and picked Spirited Away because it was the first one I watched and it’s awesome. I was close to picking Totoro though because it was one of the first movies I showed my son and he loved it so much he rewatched it the next day. I was very happy watching him be so happy watching it.

6 Likes

Yeah Porco Rosso is probably my runner up as well, just a thoroughly jolly film. But Kiki’s Delivery Service will always be tops for me, love the town and all the flight animation, and her emotional arc always hits me really hard.

4 Likes

I’ve seen all of these but Wind Rises, and of course the upcoming one. My take is perhaps mildly spicy, in that the films of Miyazaki’s I actually like are the lighter, more whimsical ones rather than any that try to tell an epic story full of action and drama and whatnot. Meaning I came out of stuff like Howl, Mononoke, Nausicaa, and even Spirited Away feeling lukewarm at best. At the same time though, I really enjoyed the likes of Ponyo, Totoro, and most of all Kiki. I ended up reading the first Kiki novel (translated in English – cute little middle-grade chapter book), and it was interesting to see what vignettes made it into the film, and how the character was given more of an arc so there’d be something of a theme.

I’ll be curious to see how How Do You Live fares. It’s very interesting that it will release this summer without a single trailer releasing beforehand. The book this is based on is also available in English by the way, but I might hold off on reading that in order to go into the film blind. I don’t even know what the basic premise is, which is unusual for any movie.

5 Likes

Spirited Away is a superb choice. That’s the problem, they basically all are.

5 Likes

My very mildly spicy take is that my favourite Ghibli director is Isao Takahata.

2 Likes

That’s a very spicy Ghibli take but Takahata was a world-class director as well. For the first time, I started watching Pom Poko which is often made fun of in American Anime communities because Americans are uncomfortable with animal nudity, but I was just delighted by it. The man did not miss.

3 Likes

I think my general take is Takahata’s films are well-made, but paced too slowly for my tastes, with lots of scenes that are either repetitive or drawn out too long. There are still a couple of his I haven’t seen though.

Maybe this year I’ll get around to the last few Ghibli films left for me to watch. Then I can make my personal ranking list of them all, and upset everyone when I place Cat Returns at the top. =P

3 Likes

I was looking for my favourite Ghibli film but I couldn’t see in the list. I guess it was not a Miyazaki film.

Well, since I’m the obsessed type, I can’t vote if I have not seen every movie in the list, so… I guess I would go for Chihiro.

2 Likes

This is probably one of the defining characteristics of his films that I enjoy. He’s a bit more Ozu-like than Miyazaki (although Miyazaki is clearly influenced by Yasujiro Ozu) and I enjoy that type of storytelling.

2 Likes

Made my kids cookies and now we’re doing this.

5 Likes

That’s my foot in the bottom left for all your fetishists out there in Grouveeland don’t say I never did nothing for ya

5 Likes

Good choice!

What kind of cookies did you make?

2 Likes

My 5 year old picked it out. “I wanna watch the movie where the girl’s parents turn into pigs.”

I made chocolate pudding chocolate chip cookies. Kinda was just goofing around on a chocolate chip with vanilla pudding mix that replaces some of the all-purpose flour except with I used chocolate pudding mix and a little cocoa powder. They came out nice, moist, and rich but a little one note. But for my kids there is no such thing as too much chocolate so the cookies were a big hit with my kids (9, 7, 5, and 3 years old).

3 Likes

Ominous, lol.

So you just substitute some of the flour with pudding mix? What’s your ratio?

2 Likes

I did this recipe and replaced 1/3 cup of all purpose flour with cocoa powder and replaced the vanilla pudding mix with chocolate pudding mix.

2 Likes

How does the 5 year old handle Spirited Away? I haven’t shown that one to my 6 year old because I think he’d find it too scary.

2 Likes