Getting to Know Each Other (with video games!)

Can’t honestly say, went through my “all time favourites” shelf and picked the worst average. Still, I remember bad reviews from the recent port (which I also found a bit lifeless) so probably there might be something to it?

3 Likes

Thank you! I was very overwhelmed and wasn’t sure where to start, especially since they both copy/paste the names of their games and the content. I’ll look into them when I break away from the RPGs I’ve been digging into recently.

2 Likes

Recently while I haven’t looked, I heard that the older games like black ops were getting server updates and had a decent amount of multiplayer going on again. Not sure how accurate that is tho

4 Likes

That’s awesome! One of these days I’ll have to go back to those games for nostalgia’s sake.

3 Likes

My childhood system was a Sega Genesis, and then the Dreamcast. In college I didn’t play many games (just odd stuff that could run on my laptop), but eventually I got a PS Vita, which was what got me addicted. Now I play mostly on PS4 and Switch, but I’m always trying to explore more classics from consoles past (via ports, remasters, emulation, or simply borrowing from a friend [who has loads of older systems + games]).

At any rate, this was a fun chart to attempt putting together. I think my biggest “missing game” on the chart would be Katamari Damacy, which I was very close to picking for favorite game of all time, best soundtrack, best art style, and guilty pleasure.

For “you love - everyone hates,” no specific game came to mind, so I went with the tragically unloved PS Vita handheld. It’s still an amazing little device. I sometimes joke that the “hidden gems” of the PS Vita is its entire library of games.

For “you hate - everyone loves,” that goes to the Smash Bros series in general. Back in college, it felt like that (either Melee or Brawl) was always the one and only game anyone ever wanted to play. Never anything else. It drove me mad after a while. I’m only somewhat into fighting games in the first place, but I also prefer pretty much any fighting game series to Smash Bros.

For “stressful game,” I’ll just say shoot-em-ups (shmups) in general. I like playing them from time to time, and some I even really dig, but I suck so much at them. One little mistake at any split-second… death.

For “game you always come back to,” I chose Puyo Puyo Tetris to represent falling-block action-puzzle games in general. I love Puyo Puyo, and I love Tetris, and I can jump into a game of either anytime. I’m not good at them, but they’re perfect for a quick gaming session.

Perhaps the hardest category to pick something for was “best story.” There are a bunch I really like, and I especially appreciate it when games utilize their medium in clever ways to get across its narrative. (Titles I was close to picking were Doki Doki Literature Club, Silent Hill 2, and Yume Nikki.) I ended up going with Tales of Berseria as I feel its story is highly underrated in the gaming community. It features a narrative and cast of characters that I keep thinking back on, at any rate.

7 Likes

Yeah, the villain is Dahlia Hawthorne from Ace Attorney, her whole deal is she looks sweet but is secretly one of the most ruthless and unrelenting murderers in the whole series. She’s great!

The relaxing game is Puzzle Series Vol. 5: Slitherlink for the DS, just an incredibly absorbing, flow state logic puzzler. And the stressful one is Money Puzzle Exchanger for the Neo Geo and PS1, it’s a head-to-head color-matching game (like Magical Drop or Puzzle Bubble) that plays at insane breakneck speed from round start.

3 Likes

Whoooo more Kiryu love. Lol
I almost picked Muramasa as my best art as well, it’s such a gorgeous game. My love for psychonauts won out though.

4 Likes

I absolutely loved my PS Vita, definitely an underappreciated device in terms of build and screen quality. Though I used it for PS4 remote play more than anything, since at the time I wasn’t into the less known indie titles that were flourishing on the system.

4 Likes

have yet to play MGS but it’s kind of funny. Same with System Shock. I tried it out but I haven’t finished it

6 Likes

I more or less confident in this pic

7 Likes

@Roach @El_Diegote Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana is one of my nostalgic favorites, too! It’s kinda barebones if you go back and play it, but it’s got a simple charm and still looks great. The recent 3D remake isn’t quite so pretty, but adds some depth to the combat and exploration that I really appreciated.

5 Likes

I got the Collection of Mana port when it was announced and told myself I wouldn’t play the remake until I played through the games in the collection first. Curious how I’ll feel about SD3 since I haven’t played it since I was 13.

@GUDZYK Violence is your cup of tea, haha. How come TLOU is considered a guilty pleasure?

5 Likes

maybe because everybody hated it? I’m just guessing, though.

3 Likes

Yeah, if anything I’d consider The Last of Us Part II to be a pleasure I take pride in enjoying.

3 Likes

Yeah. I definitely recall the insane amount of backlash when the first story trailer came out during Pride Month at E3 and the escalation of hatred after that. It’s why I put it for my choice of “You Love But Everyone Hates.” Guilty pleasure I associate with things that are embarrassing or a complete change from what I normally enjoy.

2 Likes

If I did this it would be all the mass effect and halo games.

1 Like

Let me explain
Favorite game: There are definitly more than one game which would fit.
Favorite Series: GTA has the most iterations that I liked, 2nd maybe Total War.
Best Soundtrack: this was pretty easy, Hotline Miami or Endless Space 2
Favorite Protagonist: I liked Niko because he wasn’t a blank slate. There was a somewhat believeable backround to him together with a hot temper. The cutscenes were a lot of fun.
Favorite Villain: That’s Dusan from Watch Dogs 2. Great parody of an evil CEO and one of the reasons I enjoyed WD2 so much.
Best Story: The story is basically becoming a god. That’s pretty much aligned with my goals in playing a RPG.
Have not played: again, more than one
You love: There is no product which can replace the Steam controller for me. Sadly they stopped production but nice to see they use the software for the Deck. Maybe there is hope.
You Hate: No, just no.
Art Style: You can’t go wrong with DS.
Ending: My favorite ending is when you don’t save David Beckham. Very satisfying.
Favorite boss: That’s the guy from Shadow of Mordor. I expected a long drawn-out fight with thousands of orcs and instead I got a super short stealth kill. Was the right choice.
Childhood: First game I was addicted to.
Relaxing: The Movies doesn’t care if your studio is not on the top. Money is not really a factor. Just play until it’s 2005 and have a good time.
Stressful: Stressful would be a good title for Subnautica.
Comback: Flipon is a Tetris Attack clone. Love it.
Guilty: I think I played every year some LEGO game and give a solid 3/5.
Hours: I spend in Football Manager games probably 50 % of my total steam hours.

3 Likes