Gaming with projectors

Anyone here play using projectors? I am considering getting a projector screen for gaming. I had one in the past but found the one I had to be too dark at times. Any suggestions while choosing a projector that is good enough to play on?

1 Like

If brightness is an issue I think you might want to go for an LCD projector over DLP. Although DLP has advantages (higher contrast ration, smaller, less expensive, lower maintenance) they are not as bright and tend to really need a dark room. LCD can operate in rooms with the lights on. LCD projectors are 2x-3x the brightness of DLP projectors rated at the same lumens.

What is your budget?

2 Likes

Thanks for this information. Ill keep this in mind when browsing online for a projector. I’m unsure how much I will be spending on a projector but I’m assuming it will be a little more expensive considering that I want it for gaming. Do you have any recommendations as far as Lumens go?

The higher the lumens the better in the sense that you don’t need a pitch black room to operate in. But higher lumens also means shorter bulb life and bulbs aren’t cheap. Regardless, the minimum you want for gaming is 2000. 3500 is better, but if your room will always have ambient light aim for 4000.

2 Likes

a good while back i used to do this with a local buddy who’s dad had one for some reason. i’d take my snes over there and we’d play stuff like Super Smash TV and it was pretty amazing to see a busy scene like that all blown up.

Other than that anecdotal experience (they are pretty cool!) I’ve never owned one myself and don’t know anything other than they are pricey and the bulbs particularly so. Can’t offer any advice other than check the prices of the bulbs to maybe sway your decision.

I’d totally consider getting one if i had roomies/people to play with in person. Let us know how you like it if you get one!

1 Like