Favorite Underrated Games?

While playing Murdered Soul Suspect, I started looking back through my entire Xbox catalogue and realizing just how many games I played that left an impression while not being really huge titles or from a major IP.

I found it kinda interesting how many there in fact were. Titles like “Condemned Criminal Origins” and “Singularity” and “Dark Sector”. Obviously there’s the ‘so bad it’s good’ titles, like “Bulletwitch”, but I’m talking fairly decent titles that just didn’t really get the attention they deserved or the recognition they should’ve, either at the time or in hindsight.

So what are some titles like that that you think are underrated that you personally love? Who knows, maybe we’ll find something to interest one another with!

2 Likes

Lately I’ve gotten into a new one “OBAKEIDORO!” [also known as “Bail or Jail” which seems to be a little obscure

2 Likes

The Inner World series, even if you don’t like point n clicks. Point and clicks as a genre entirely, actually.

I think Final Fantasy Dimensions is one of the best 2D FF games, that no one’s played.

3 Likes

I love point and click actually! One of my favorite games of all time, The Neverhood, is a point and click made entirely in claymation. It was my favorite game for a very long time. Also gonna throw the Creatures franchise into that list as well. Both underrated and both awesome.

3 Likes

I love finding obscure titles that turn out to be lots of fun.

With a whopping Grouvee “17 users have this in their collection,” I present… Cleopatra Fortune. This is a falling block puzzle game that I think deserves to be loved as much as the likes of Tetris, Puyo Puyo, and so on. The gimmick here is that your goal is to surround treasure pieces with blocks. The more treasure in one wrap-around, the more points – and of course, setting up long chain reactions is how you get the real big numbers. The arcade mode is exciting, the puzzle mode is addicting, the theme song is catchy, and the general look of it all is charming. (And Cleopatra is cute.)

1 Like

I’m looking through my game shelves, and a couple kind of stick out.

Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite JRPGs. It’s definitely got a decent following, but because it was a 360 only game, and there hasn’t been any kind of follow on or remastering of the game, it’s largely been forgotten. The 1000 years of dreams stuff is some really good writing.

The Darkness. I think people like this game OK, I just think I liked it way more than most.

The SNES Super Mario Kart. This is a weird one to say as I’m sure lots of people love this game because whatever your first Super Mario Kart is probably going to be your favorite, but it has a 3.75 average on Grouvee (which is in the “liked it” category). It should be like a point higher than that.

3 Likes

Among games I played this year New Super Lucky’s Tale was surprisingly good and something I think is fairly underrated. It does the 3D platforming collectathon thing a lot better than many other games in the genre, both new and old, doing in a way that never felt onerous or burdensome. It was a fun game that I really enjoyed for what it is.

3 Likes

Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite JRPGS.

My longtime friend Matt, who I played things with constantly for years, always said this. I’ve looked into it and it does look neat, but I just cannot play JRPGS for the life of me lol but I do like the aesthetic.

The Darkness

I actually played this back in the day and I would agree! It’s a really unique title with some really interesting mechanics and aesthetics. I never read the comic book it’s based on, but the game was right proper cool.

1 Like

I really want to play Condemned one of these days. My dad bought an Xbox 360 somewhere along the lines, and the console came with that game. I’d always heard it had a cult following, but I just never checked it out for some reason. I’ve still got it laying around here somewhere.

1 Like

I HIGHLY recommend it. Go into it with the mindset though that it was like one of the first 360 titles, and as such it’s not gonna be a masterpiece lol But if you just accept it for what it is, it’s really cool and very fun.

1 Like

Underrated: Dead Feelings. Good style, peaceful graphics, all around nice game.