Comics For Beginners

Does this apply to e-ink readers as well, or just devices with LCD/LED panels? I know that’s slightly off topic because we are talking about comic readers for which e-ink is typically not ideal, but I’m curious.

3 Likes

E-ink is fine as long as the backlight (if any) is dimmed. It’s been nice to see a bit more movement recently in the color e-ink space after a few related patents expired, but I haven’t taken the plunge on any devices yet.

3 Likes

you love eco-terrorism? O_o

2 Likes

@georgeypoorgey I’d suggest Google Play Books. I’ve bought a few from there and they are very good, although I’m not really a digital comics person, I much prefer physical for my comics.

@ kupomog337 Not exactly. I think given the nature (no pun intended) of Poision Ivy’s powers it makes sense that she’d be an eco-terrorist. It makes much more sense for her to go after the people who are destroying the natural environment than bothering with Penguin and what’s going on in Gotham.

I don’t agree with terrorism of any kind, but I do agree with fighting for that natural world, but that discussion is a bit out of the purview of this thread.

5 Likes

I don’t read comics all that much, but just finished The Last Ronin [Ninja Turtles] which I happened to find at a store the other day

I also read some Sailor Moon, after checking out the cartoon on YouTube

5 Likes

I avoided graphic novels for a long time because superheroes do not interest me at all, but in the last few years I have been introduced to more and more non-superhero graphic novels that I’ve really enjoyed. I’m not sure if general recommendations are welcome but here’s a list of my top favorites that I’ve finished (except for Sandman and Saga). Most of these are quite short so they should be very beginner friendly.

4 Likes

Great recommendations!

1 Like

What do the flags represent? That there are LGBTQ characters?

If you enjoyed Coraline, you should check out Stardust. Same writer and artist. It was released a while ago so not sure how easy it is to get hold of now, but it’s amazing! (Failing that, try the regular novel, it’s also fantastic. But then, pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman is).

It’s such a shame that so many people still don’t realise that comics aren’t “just” superheroes. Every genre and interest is represented, but the industry doesn’t do itself any favours in getting that message out there.

2 Likes

Yep! The flags represent gay characters or rep of some kind. I pondered putting one on the Last of Us comic but that comic was published before the Left Behind DLC and so it does not broach any related topics at all. I was being a bit lazy and not putting a description for any of them beyond LGBTQ+ rep. Writing is hard, haha.

Stardust is definitely on the list! I’ve been slowly reading Gaiman’s works. So far I haven’t disliked any of them so I’m pretty excited to keep going. I do remember seeing the movie for Stardust as a kid but I don’t recall much of it at all so I should be basically going in blind again.

3 Likes

The Stardust movie changes a fair bit, especially the ending which just ruins all impact of the story. It’s fun, just not a great adaptation. Going in blind is best.

Gaiman is one of my favourite writers. I’ve read most of his stuff by now and only disliked one thing, but he co-wrote that (it wasn’t Good Omens, can’t recall its name). You’re in for some good times!

2 Likes

Wonderful list!

While I haven’t dived into Saga myself, I have several coworkers that don’t necessarily consider themselves comics readers but make an exception for Saga. Always super neat when the medium can have crossover hits like that outside the realm of Marvel and DC!

4 Likes

Speaking of Saga, if anyone needs a copy of vol. 7, I have a spate. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Also good manga for beginners would be dragon ball and Naruto.

If anyone is looking to jump into Spider-Man without any pre-knowledge then the new Ultimate Spider-Man series is an absolute blast! The first three issues are out thus far and each one is a pearler, which should be no surprise given it’s written by Johnathan Hickman.

All the regular Spidey characters are there, albeit somewhat different to what you’d be used to from other comics/ films/ TV shows. For example, Peter is a dad and when issue 1 starts he’s not yet Spider-Man. I don’t want to spoil anything, but while things line up with the classic characters they do it in a very unique way.

Absolutely no pre-knowledge about the Marvel Universe or a thing is needed so this is an easy recommendation!
There are also Ultimate versions of Black Panther and X-Men and while I’ve not read them I’d hazard that they too would be very new reader friendly.

5 Likes

A friend of mine wanted to get into classic comics but felt a little intimidated by them. I made a blog post out of that conversation, figured it might be relevant to this thread:

5 Likes

Paper Girls might be my biggest modern disappointment. Everything about that comic is phenomenal…except the story, which, even 20 issues in out of 30 makes as little sense as when it started. It’s just so incomprehensibly told that’s not enjoyable. The artwork, the coloring, the characters, everything else is wonderful, but god, I think I’ve given Brian K Vaughan enough of a chance to prove to me he can write and now I know he can’t. I wanted to give Saga a try cause people swear by it, but after the complete and utter inability to tell an understandable story in Paper Girls, I really doubt if I will or not. I wanted to love it so bad, cause it’s gay, I’m gay, and it’s got a cool ass concept. But I just couldn’t stomach it’s refusal to ever make sense.

2 Likes

Strangers in Paradise might be my second favorite comic of all time right behind Bone. It’s so goddamned good. My only complaint is that I have the Omnibus edition as well as the entire single issue run, and uh…boy…there’s some choices in the collecting of the Omnibus that make zero sense, like…why is David’s backstory in the appendix, when it’s so clearly integral to the plot? Frankly, I think the series should be read exactly as it is in single issue, and thankfully you can get them all on mycomicshop dot com for pennies for the most part. But also make sure, if you’re gonna do this, to read the first run before the second, because those first 13 issues are extremely important to the rest as well. Such a great book though.

3 Likes

Also I would recommend the Punisher comics by Garth Ennis. Those comics made the Punisher my favorite super hero.

2 Likes

My personal Garth Ennis pick is Rover Red Charlie.

3 Likes

I’ve not read Paper Girls, but that is a shame to hear. I would suggest checking out Saga though as it is amazing. I’ve been reading since #1 and loved every issue. Maybe see if you can borrow the first collection from the library or something?

I first took note of Vaughan when he wrote Doctor Strange: The Oath, still one of the best Doctor Strange stories ever told. Since then I’ve tried a few of his books and while I did enjoy most of them, he can be a bit self indulgent at times.

3 Likes