Choose your roster. It's NEW Super Smash Bros

Super Smash Bros Ultimate had the biggest roster yet. But what if we hit the big old reset button on that thing and started afresh with the next game?

Oh I’m not talking about binning the entire roster, that would be silly. You’d need some of the current first party crew.

Let’s say, 20 Nintendo first party characters?
And 30 brand new never before seen 3rd party fighters.

Who would you pick?

Here’s my roster for “NEW Super Smash Bros” - coming soon to Nintendo Switch 2 or whatever…

Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Bowser
Peach
Pikachu
Luigi
Wario
Marth
Ganondorf
Pokemon Trainer
Fox
Captain Falcon
Isabelle
Squidgirl
Zelda
Ness

NEW 1st & 3rd party Characters:

Isacc (Golden Sun)
Master Chief (Halo)
Rayman (Rayman)
Shantae (Shantae)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Zero (Mega Man)
Llyod (Tales of Symphonia)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
2B (Nier Automata)
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Gunstar Green (Gunstar Heroes)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Commander Sheppard (Mass Effect)
Midna (Twilight Princess)
Leon (Resident Evil 4)
Fiora (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Kratos (God of War)
Siegfried and Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)
Gordon Freeman (Half life)
Ezio (Assassin’s Creed 2)
Turok (Turok Dinosaur Hunter)
Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)
Bomberman (Mega Bomberman)
Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

I’ve made this up without thinking and I’ll bet there’s others I would kick myself for not adding. Some of these would actually be pretty boring characters too (Leon!), but hey-ho this is JUST FOR FUN.

Thank you for reading.

1 Like

Looking again, the whole choosing 20 existing characters thing is probs a bit redundant. Feel free to try something like “I would ditch these 30 fighters for these 30 new ones” or something I don’t know it’s your life I just want a sandwich…

Inc continues to ramble incoverently as he wanders off from the thread to the kitchen

I only care about ONE character being in there, and that’s Boo. It’s so tragic he’s good enough for Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and Mario Golf but not Super Smash Bros!

1 Like

They would need to do something more focused to change things up IMO. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think it’s possible for a fighting game to have too big of a roster, and the Switch Smash game is way too big.

So I would have the next Smash game called NES Smash Bros or something, and just have a cast of NES characters. That way you get most of the “main” Nintendo characters, and plenty of new Nintendo side characters that haven’t been featured before. Give us Mike Jones from Star Tropics, and Mouser from Mario 2. This limitation would force more creativity for choosing 3rd-party reps too, if there needs to be a few of those. (Scrooge from DuckTales? Higgins from Adventure Island?)

Then if this game sells well (it will), they could do a SNES Smash Bros next, etc etc. Then it doesn’t just feel like an update for each new entry, each game would be its own thing.

1 Like

I actually really like that idea and would be a great way to mix up the roster with creative ideas and characters.

1 Like