Backlog Golf vs. Evercade Game of the Month

Not sure if anyone here both owns an Evercade and plays backlog golf, but if so: how do you handle Games of the Month? When you download a new Game of the Month and start playing it, does it add +2 to your score or only +1 (or +/-0)? And when the month is over and the old Game of the Month goes away without you having beaten it, does your score go down again (until you start playing the new one)?

I don’t have the adversarial relationship a lot of people do with their backlog, but I would consider the month a trial period, like a game demo. At the end of the month you can choose to take the +2 and add it to your backlog or decide it’s not worthy of your backlog and drop with no score.

I would also propose a new action in backlog golf. “Dropping a game from your backlog”. II think it’s pretty reasonable to drop a game with the expectation you won’t come back to it.

2 Likes

That’s an intriguing idea. I for one won’t adopt it because I like to keep things simple, but still.

In the meantime I made up my mind and see it like this: backlog golf is meant to reward you for playing games you already own, and punish you for purchasing AND playing (i.e. spending both money and time on) new games.

So, as for the Evercade GotM, last month I spent a couple of hours playing Soko Banana and thought I might be able to finish it before the end of the month, but I didn’t. Thus I take +1 to my score that I’m never going to get rid of again, and I’m okay with that.

This month’s game, Flea 2, I downloaded but only spent a few minutes on before deciding it isn’t for me, and I’m not adding anything to my score.