A Year of Games in Review – 2023

Once again continuing the tradition started a few years back, below is my full list of games played in 2023. The list is largely reverse chronological, except where I did a poor job registering the date I finished the game on Grouvee (games marked with * are old games I continued from last year or replayed this year). I may have left a few games out because I’ve been bad at tracking my games this year, and the various services indicate that I’ve played more games than what is listed below. Regardless, this is what I know I played in 2023, without any doubts. This also might be my short list in quite some time, but I have BG3 to blame for that :joy:

• Devotion
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Honkai Starrail
  • Norco
  • GTFO
  • Scars Above
  • Strayed Lights
  • Harmony: The Fall of Reverie
  • Rollerdrome
  • Mineko’s Night Market
  • Dicey Dungeons
  • Dordogne
  • Lil Gator Game
  • Into The Pit
  • In Other Waters
  • Jusant
  • Citizen Sleeper
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Venba
  • Mario Party Superstars
  • F-Zero 99
  • Cocoon
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Atomic Heart
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • Silent Hill
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Sword and Fairy: Together Forever
  • F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch
  • Bramble the Mountain King
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • Sword and Fairy: Together Forever
  • Bramble: The Mountain King
  • Exoprimal
  • Harvestella
  • Forspoken
  • Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis
  • Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage
  • Planet of Lana
  • Redfall
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo
  • Tchia
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • Wario Land 3
  • Vampire Survivors
  • Scorn
  • Metal Gear
  • GoldenEye 007
  • High-Fi Rush
  • Ghost of a Tale
  • NHL’94
7 Likes

Ooh, this is my favorite part !

1. Pokemon Scarlet [SWITCH]
  2. TMNT [GBA]
  3. Capcom Classics Collection Remixed [PSP]
  4. Pikmin 3 [SWITCH]
  5. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [PSVITA]
  6. Um Jammer Lammy [PS1] {Greatest Game of All Time}
  7. Metal Slug Anthology [PSP]
  8. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale [PSVITA]
  9. Splatoon 3 [SWITCH]
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX [NSO]
  11. Pizza Tower [STEAM]
  12. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [NSO]
  13. Super Mario Bros. 3: Super Mario Advance 4 [NSO]
  14. Disney Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse [STEAM]
  15. Tekken [PS1]
  16. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds [3DS]
  17. Double Dragon Trilogy [STEAM]
  18. Wario Land 3 [NSO]
  19. Prison Princess [STEAM]
  20. Friday Night Funkin’ [PC]
  21. Fighter’s History [NSO]
  22. PowerWash Simulator [STEAM]
  23. Kirby’s Return to Dreamland [SWITCH]
  24. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd [PSVITA]
  25. Super Mario Advance [NSO]
  26. Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 [NSO]
  27. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [SWITCH]
  28. Carnival Games [SWITCH]
  29. Street Fighter 6 [STEAM]
  30. The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap [NSO]
  31. Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam [3DS]
  32. Kid Icarus [NSO]
  33. Sonic Origins [SWITCH]
  34. Ape Escape: On the Loose [PSP]
  35. Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons [SWITCH]
  36. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons [NSO]
  37. Double Dragon IV [SWITCH]
  38. PaRappa the Rapper 2 [PS2]
  39. Shantae [SWITCH]
  40. Shaman King: Power of Spirit [PS2]
  41. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon [3DS]
  42. Super Mario Bros. Wonder [SWITCH]
  43. Streets of Red: Devil’s Dare [SWITCH]
  44. Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 [SWITCH]
  45. Super Mario RPG [SWITCH]
  46. Double Dragon and Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle [SWITCH]
  47. Street Fighter: the Movie [PS1]
  48. Double Dragon Advance [SWITCH]
  49. Costume Quest [STEAM]

BOLD: FIRST TIME COMPLETING
If only I could squeeze in one more for an even 50

7 Likes

It’s time for Grouvee’s most prized tradition.

• W.I.T.C.H. (GBA) - Finished December 27 2022. I was working on it during the last thread. Multi character platformer, but absolute shovel tier, completely worthless, just one of the few pieces of multimedia for the series. My wife grew up with it and we own some of the reprint manga, as well as a cruddy audio CD adaption. Didn’t know they made those for comics.

• Suikoden (PS1) - Finished January 1st, which considering I almost always play games sequentially does mean I beat a PS1 RPG at a breakneck pace, I deathly wanted to get my ‘play 13 JRPGs in one year’ off to a technical and strong start. I did not succeed despite this, playing this way contributed to a harsh burnout. Decent game, though none of the fans who suggested it even talk about 1 as worthwhile.

• Golden Sun (GBA) - Finished January 23. The Golden ‘Son’, haha, the duology that can do no wrong. It’s good, but handheld RPG’s of that era are going to be held back. The highlights are how snappy it was, one of those early attempts to ‘fix’ JRPG combat. I just never fell in love personally with the psy system and environmental puzzle solving, but most of all the custom class system ends up being a hindrance.

• Revelations Persona (PS1) - Finished March 3. Holy hell don’t play this game. I’ve heard that 2/2sin (for which I played 1 to really get to) have their own problems, but they can’t possibly be as bad as this. Genuine, 100+ hours of pain that even a guide cannot save you from, hell a guide really doesn’t help at all except for keeping you from getting screwed by plot dependent choices. The only revelation here is that people like character acting.

• Teslagrad (PC) - Finished March 7. Absolutely snuck into my top 5 in a haze following Persona. I was just so happy to be playing anything else. Interesting game, took me several half starts through the years to get passed the first hour, this time it just stuck. I blame the first area being sorta…Automatic Mario type chaotic. Finishes being a combatish 2d Portal descendant. Good stuff.

• Final Fantasy 3 (3D Ver PC) - Finished April 3. I remembered not really loving this on the DS as a kid, I never beat it or 4 but 4 really left the positive impression, and after my reunion with FF2 a couple of years ago, this just comes off as unsalted potatoes followed by an absolutely horrid gear grind for the super boss PLUS a PoNR beastiary… have you seen the Steam achievements for this thing? Just play the SNES version.

• Assault on Dragon Keep (PC) - Finished April 6. Like Teslagrad, I needed something coming out of FF3. Hell, this is as damn close to being too short to make my played list, so it sort of snuck on too. My comparison is Borderlands 1 since I haven’t played the others, it felt about half the length with 1/4th the assets, which considering it was free is just… fine? Feels the exact damn same to be honest.

• Dead Estate (PC) - Finished May 13. Finally some good fucking food. I’ve always been a PC indie head (Praise be to Pixel), this hit all the right points and if I hadn’t approached it with intent I probably would have played it ANOTHER 3 weeks. Procedural-Gen game that manages to not get old until right when you legitimately run out of run variety? What a rarety.

• Bug Fables (PC) - Finished September 1st. My first 5 Star on this website, after 39 games and 2 years. Just play it. I think people have my reviews these days on auto ignore since I’m so consistently critical, but this gave me some hope back that maybe I do have a bound of alright taste. If you’re going to read anything on my account, read my review for this, and then play the fucking game.

• Breath of Fire (SNES) - Finished September 17th. Breaking my 4 month JRPG fast is… this… game. Similar to Suikoden, the series has a cult following that largely ignores the first game and… I really understand that. It feels like a formula that was trying to play catch up with FF1/2 in an era of FF 4, 5, and 6, a grown up TI-84 RPG if you will. Oddly… direct, though there are points that stretch the limits of Dragon Quest 1 style I-Go-You-Go 1 on 1 turn based fights which is… something?

• Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) - Finished October 24. Oh boy, no game with this many possible soft locks should be so beloved. It has an unmatched tone and these amazing quotes, but when you see it play out it really lacks genuine character, though I’ve heard that’s possibly a translation thing. I’m not going to harp on, but I don’t find the customization to be that deep, sure you can be ‘OP’, but on your first play through the enemy is going to be OP WAY before you.

• Tales of Phantasia (GBA) - Finished Dec 1. Everything I said about FF3 except worse. Why on God’s green earth would you allow this to be the only western release of your series’ premiere. This game feels like it escaped from its containment facility, absolutely crushing waste of the tech work that must have gone into it. A deadly mix of poor porting while not fixing inherited pacing and grind issues from the original Super Famicom release.

• Dog’s Life (PS2) - Finished Dec 7, noticing a pattern here. That said, I didn’t stumble upon DL, I’d been waiting to try it for years after seeing the fucking covert art. Surprisingly junk-foodily enjoyable in the exploration department, gets decapitated by the fact that you have to play 90% of it in first person. Still though, it may be a 1 Star title with no real gameplay and several unskippable pooping animations, but it’s still above Phantasia and Half Genie Hero. Don’t tell Joey.

• Pokemon Yellow (GB on GBC) - Finished Dec 16. What do you want me to say, it’s Pokemon. Look at Pikachu, he does the flips when you give him the surfboard, you gotta play 40 hours of Stadium single player to earn that right, and you should be thankful. See this, this is another cave, have a cave, it’s pokemon, fagitaboutit, look at the Pikachu, he’s got the hearts, he does the hop and follows you around, haha, it’s Pokemon.

• Syberia (PC) - Ongoing, but it ain’t looking good I’ll tell ya. Well I mean, looking is all it’s good for, knowwhatimsayin.

I played several other games without enough umph to feel like they belong on the Played shelf, but several are worth mentioning. Credit to Go Home Dinosaurs for being okay and being the first game I’ve ever dropped my Played shelf, forced me to make a personal rule. Dungeon Up feels like the ultimate Windows XP tie in game, you should try it. Same with Slay the Princess, nice single sitting VN title that’s hot right now. I also finished a 2 year journey to level 30 on DDO with my Dad and Wife, nice wrap up to something I’d wanted to get through my system since playing it on launch as a kid.

Happy End of Year everybody. Go for the gold and remember, chicks laugh at EASY MODO

6 Likes

Let me just add.
Yall play too many fucking games, I’m jealous.

6 Likes

Here’s my 2023 in (kind of, for the most part…) rough order. Games were played to end credits where applicable, except where I mark them as dropped:

1. Zelda II: Adventure of Link
  2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Ship of Harkinian)
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - Anniversary Edition
  9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  10. Metroid Prime Remastered
  11. Resident Evil 4 Remake (2023)
  12. World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
  13. Resident Evil 4 (2005) - Dropped
  14. Super Mario Land
  15. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Dropped
  16. Final Fantasy Adventure
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  19. Diablo III: Eternal Collection - Dropped
  20. Diablo IV
  21. Final Fantasy (Pixel Remaster)
  22. Final Fantasy II (Pixel Remaster)
  23. Final Fantasy III (Pixel Remaster) - Dropped
  24. Final Fantasy XV
  25. Final Fantasy XVI
  26. Toree 3D
  27. Toree 2
  28. A Short Hike
  29. Bugsnax
  30. Sonic Colors Ultimate- Dropped
  31. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition - Dropped
  32. Anodyne
  33. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust - Dropped
  34. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  35. Baldur’s Gate III
  36. Super Mario Bros.
  37. Super Mario Bros. 2
  38. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
  39. Super Mario Bros. 3
  40. Pikmin (Switch)
  41. Pikmin 2 (Switch)
  42. Pikmin 4
  43. Sonic the Hedgehog
  44. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  46. Sonic & Knuckles
  47. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  48. Sonic Superstars
  49. Starfield
  50. Battlebit Remastered
  51. The Walking Dead (Definitive Series)
  52. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  53. Friends vs Friends
  54. World of Warcraft Classic: Season of Discovery
  55. Cocoon
  56. Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch
  57. F-Zero 99
  58. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Dropped
  59. Valheim - Dropped
  60. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  61. Chants of Sennaar
  62. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
  63. Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince - Currently Playing
6 Likes

Did they even sleep? :wink:

1 Like

Baldur’s Gate 3 in particular actually resulted in my sleep dropping by 2-3 hours on average :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have much of a life ATM, unfortunately

I asked my therapist and my trainer how to meet people at this age, but they don’t really know

2 Likes

Steam says my longest streak this year was 35 straight days of BG3 and that doesn’t factor in additional non streak related hours in that game. Who needs sleep?

4 Likes

Summary:

My goal this year was to complete two games a month. While I didn’t adhere to this goal, I did surpass it by finishing 33 games. I mostly play small indie titles but I’m going to try and work on completing some of the big boy games next year. I am very close to finishing Ghost of Tsushima so it’ll probably be the first game I finish in 2024.

Atri -My Dear Moments-
Finished January 2nd. Technically I “beat” this visual novel in December ‘22 but finished all additional routes/content this year. I need to go back and rewrite my review as I’m pretty unhappy with it but it’s not high on my priority list so it’ll most likely never get done. I really enjoyed the art and atmosphere. The story was pretty good too. Looking forward to the anime adaptation.

A Plague Tale: Requiem
Finished January 15th. The script was lacking in this one, especially with Amicia’s lines. Some of the stealth areas really ticked me off but it’s hard to say if that was due to game design or me as the player. The story was pretty good but the climax didn’t impact me as much as it was supposed to. The environments were gorgeous.

Ryse: Son of Rome
Finished January 31st. This was definitely a tech demo.

Lil Gator Game
Finished February 4th. What a joyful, lovable romp through what it’s like to be a child in love with games and imagination. The silliness was wonderful. There’s side quests, cosmetics, and a wholesome story. Top tier quality.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster
Finished February 13th. Final Fantasy VII was the second video game I ever played (that I can remember). This series means a lot to me and has been a huge influence. I wanted to make an effort to play through the series and these Pixel Remasters make that goal super easy. It also taught me that I can avoid feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed by using a guide. Especially for JRPGs. I’m an adult with a full time job and I don’t have the time to muck around trying to figure out where to go next.

Luna’s Fishing Garden
Finished March 10th. A cute pixel fishing game. The art and vibes were pleasant, especially while playing tucked into bed with the Steam Deck.

If Found…
Finished March 18th. Played in a single sitting. A story of a teenager in Ireland and her struggles. I thought it was alright. Be in a good headspace for this one. Depending on your childhood, this may be triggering. Maybe it was because I played it all at once with no breaks but I got kinda messed up for a while after it.

Aperture Desk Job
Finished March 22nd. Wanted to get around to playing the Steam Deck tech demo.

The Henry Stickmin Collection
Finished March 24th. My Discord server tried to (unsuccessfully) start a Game Club. This was the first game for us to play. My best friend and I were the only ones to participate. I was not expecting to like this game at all but I was pretty amused. There are so many routes to play through. One route was enough for me though.

Behind the Frame: the Finest Scenery
Finished March 25th. Pretty painterly aesthetic but lacking in substance. The ending was too vague for me but the story had cute moments.

Fresh Start Cleaning Simulator
Finished March 26th. Flawed but a few content updates have been released since then, so maybe it’s been improved? Either way I enjoyed myself. Simple cleaning mechanics that felt satisfying. Very nature-oriented and cute compared to other cleaning sims.

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
Finished April 9th. First time I was caught up in the MSQ to experience the excitement of an expansion at launch. Those queue times were INSANE. Another game I suspect was influenced by the misery of the pandemic and the apathy that plagued the world thereafter. Heartbreaking and encouraging for the soul. Listening to Close in the Distance hurts.

Chasing Tails: a Promise in the Snow
Finished June 11th. A wintry horror visual novel. It was alright. Not a lot of substance here. The art was cute.

Tangle Tower
Finished June 18th. The art, animation, and voice work were on point. The rest of the game is good too.

A Walk with Yiayia
Finished June 30th. Very short game about walking with your grandma around the neighborhood. There really isn’t much here but it was cute.

Escape First Alchemist
Finished July 1st. Played this with my partner and friend. It was a fun couple hours. There weren’t many puzzles that required collaboration. More of a joint effort to figure out the next step.

Selene ~Apoptosis~
Finished July 1st. Free horror visual with a paid lewd content patch. Weird but pretty good.

Pokemon Puzzle League
Finished July 3rd. Can we get a sequel please??? Match-3 puzzle games are my weakness.

Donkey Kong
Finished July 10th. I hated this game. I am so bad at it.

1979 Revolution: Black Friday
Finished August 6th. I am so proud I finally finished this game as it’s one of the first Steam games I ever purchased. I dropped it due to feeling overwhelmed as it’s very choice-heavy and the first decision I made on my first run years ago made me die. Using a guide, I had a better time of it. Educational and interesting to read about its development and the history it’s based on.

Hoa
Finished August 20th. Lush, green, whimsical art style that gave Studio Ghibli vibes. Simple platforming. Light on story.

The House of the Dead: Remake
Finished July 23rd. Played this with a friend on the Switch and it was a fun time. Interesting to finally play through all the levels in this arcade staple.

Projekt Passion - Season 1
Finished August 28th. Surprisingly funny. Unironically I was invested in the story. Its art style and animation had me skeptical but it won me over.

Super Mario Party
Finished September 9th. Unlocked basically everything except some minor collectibles that involve me logging into the game every day.

Dr. Mario 64
Finished September 11th. Heavily addicted. I need a modern Switch entry.

Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster
Finished September 22nd. Dropped this due to too much freedom in character equipment. Finally found a guide and gear recommendation. Then blasted through this one. Time to wait for FFIII to go on sale.

When the Past was Around
Finished October 1st. I was too dumb for some of the puzzles. The story was decent. The art was cute.

Gone Home
Finished October 14th. The first Steam game I ever purchased. This was a replay to earn post-launch trophies. When I first played it, I remember feeling shocked by how short it was. Now I revel in all the short indie games. Funny to think about that now. Reading about this game after my replay, I found out that this title and Depression Quest triggered a bunch of very angry men in the form of GamerGate. Sometimes I’m proud to be part of the gaming community but there’s so much ugliness in it too.

The Test
Finished October 27th. Dumb but entertaining.

No Longer Home
Finished November 3rd. I’m glad I borrowed this. I did not enjoy it one bit.

Hidden Cats in Paris
Finished November 22nd. A relaxing hidden object game. I loved this game and immediately bought the rest of the series afterwards. Started out playing it by myself and after a few minutes, had a whole group of people helping me search for these cats. Cute game and cute core memory with friends.

Sucker for Love: First Date
Finished November 24th. The art style got my attention immediately. Entertaining, chapter checkpoints to unlock different endings easily, and body horror. Sequel is on its way.

1-2 Switch
Finished December 3rd. Had a hilarious, cringy experience playing through this with a friend but do not buy this.

7 Likes

Mmhm. I have not put a list together, though to be fair i dont track games overall as well. And i think id probably only include completed titles cause i know there are many i started and dropped for various reasons.

3 Likes

Nice list everyone. I need to get to working on my list for next year

2 Likes

I know your review wasn’t raving about Dog’s Life, lol, but uh, I had to add that to my backlog. How had I not known about it?!

3 Likes

Oh gosh, how do I navigate this. All games I reviewed? Or just 3 stars and above… But then that means no fun insulting :x:'s for the 1 stars… I think I’ll do all games I reviewed, and I apologize in advance for the long post (tho presumably will be shorter than last year’s since I played way less of my backlog… but we’ll see). This is in chronological order of when I played them this time, starting with a game I started at the airport in December 2022 and fell in love and couldn’t wait to get home to properly play it (King’s Valley). The links lead to my review for each game

1. King’s Valley 1985, MSX :heart:
  2. That’s The Spirit 1985, ZX Spectrum
  3. The Staff of Karnath 1984, C64
  4. Rambo 1985, MSX :heart:
  5. Big Mac: The Mad Maintenance Man 1985, C64 :heart:
  6. Zorro 1985, C64 :heart:
  7. Dragon Wang 1985, SG-1000
  8. Teddy Boy 1985, MAME :heart:
  9. Lifespan 1983, Atari 8-bit
  10. Terrormolinos 1985, ZX Spectrum :heart:
  11. Saboteur 1985, ZX Spectrum :heart:
  12. Mad Doctor 1985, C64
  13. Nonterraqueous 1985, ZX Spectrum
  14. Infernal Runner 1985, C64
  15. The Neverending Story 1985, ZX Spectrum :heart:
  16. Forbidden Quest 1983, PC
  17. The Mist 1985, PC
  18. Spellbound 1985, ZX Spectrum
  19. Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee 1997, PS1 :heart:
  20. Grumpy Gumphrey Supersleuth 1985, ZX Spectrum
  21. Balloon Fight 1985, NES :heart:
  22. TwinBee 1985, MAME
  23. Silent Hill 1999, PS1 :heart:
  24. Shao-Lin’s Road 1985, Arcade & MAME :heart:
  25. King’s Quest II: Romancing the Throne 1985, Amiga :heart:
  26. Entombed 1985, C64
  27. Wishbringer 1985, PC :heart:
  28. Wiz 1985, MAME
  29. PaperBoy 1985, MAME
  30. Commando 1985, MAME
  31. Wrecking Crew 1985, NES
  32. Hydlide II: Shine of Darkness 1984, MSX
  33. Super Mario Bros 3 1988, NES :heart:
  34. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1985, MAME
  35. Baraduke 1985, MAME
  36. The Fairyland Story 1985, MAME :heart:
  37. Gyromite 1985, NES :heart:
  38. Ghosts 'N Goblins 1985, MAME
  39. Battle City 1985, NES
  40. Super Mario Bros 1985, NES :heart:
  41. Hit 'n Miss 1987, Arcade
  42. Little Computer People 1985, C64
  43. Brain Breaker 1985, Sharp X1
  44. Borrowed Time 1985, C64 :heart:
  45. Gun.Smoke 1985, MAME
  46. Terra Cresta 1985, MAME
  47. Xanadu: Dragon Slayer II 1985, NEC
  48. Ninja JaJaMaru-kun 1985, NES
  49. Dragon Skulle 1985, C64
  50. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds 2003, PS2
  51. Master of Magic 1985, C64 :heart:
  52. Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? 1985, Apple II
  53. Section-Z 1985, MAME :heart:
  54. Fushigi no Oshiro Pit Pot 1985, Master System
  55. Tarzan 1986, C64
  56. The Black Cauldron 1986, PC
  57. Resident Evil: Survivor 2000, PS1
  58. Larn 1986, PC/Browser :heart:
  59. Rogue 1980, PC/Browser :heart:
  60. Heavy on the Magick 1986, ZX Spectrum
  61. Madness 1986, C64
  62. Urusei Yatsura: Lum’s Wedding Bell 1986, MAME
  63. Labyrinth: The Computer Game 1986, C64
  64. Gateway 1985, Mac :heart:
  65. The Oregon Trail 1985, Apple II
  66. Tass Times In Tonetown 1986, Apple II
  67. Express Raider 1986, MAME
  68. Tomba! 1998, PS1 :heart:
  69. The Magician’s Curse 1986, C16
  70. Gladiator 1986, MAME
  71. Hopping Mappy 1986, MAME
  72. The Goonies 1985, C64
  73. The Goonies 1986, NES :heart:
  74. Wonder Boy 1986, MAME
  75. Knightmare 1986, MSX
  76. Rygar 1986, MAME
  77. Quartet 1986, MAME
  78. Soldier Girl Amazon 1986, MAME
  79. Atlantis no Nazo 1986, NES
  80. The Legend of Kage 1985, MAME
  81. Mighty Bomb Jack 1986, NES :heart:
  82. Dragon Quest 1986, NES :heart:
  83. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels 1986, NES
  84. Fantasy Zone 1986, MAME :heart:
  85. Solomon’s Key 1986, MAME
  86. Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu 1986, NES
  87. Metroid 1986, FDS :heart:
  88. Jajamaru no Daibouken 1986, NES
  89. Adventure Island 1986, NES
  90. King’s Knight 1986, NES
  91. KiKi KaiKai 1986, MAME :heart:
  92. Pokemon Yellow 1998, GBC :heart:
  93. Castlevania 1986, FDS :heart:
  94. Romancia: Dragon Slayer Jr 1986, MSX
  95. Penguin Adventure 1986, MSX
  96. Ninja Kid 1986, NES
  97. Vampire Killer 1986, MSX :heart:
  98. Alex Kidd in Miracle World 1986, Master System
  99. Kid Niki: Radical Ninja 1986, MAME :heart:
  100. Transformers: Convoy no Navo 1986, NES
  101. Takeshi no Chousenjou 1986, NES
  102. Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars 1986, MAME
  103. Doraemon 1986, NES

And just for fun, the list of shame :x: :x: :x: :x: (1 stars) since I resisted reviewing most of them: Almazz , Astro Plumber , Werner Flaschbier , Forbidden Fruit , Timothy Leary’s Mind Mirror , Tomb of Syrinx , Willy the Worm , Drug Watch , Jumping Jack , Jumping Jack for arcade too , Cheyenne , Bored of the Rings , Rockman , Amulet of Yendor , Star Trek: The Kobayashi Alternative , Questprobe Featuring Human Torch and the Thing , Doraemon for Arcadia , Hogwarts Legacy , Imhotep , Panel Panic , Warriors of Ras , Wrath of Denethenor , Age of Adventure , Leygref’s Castle , City Slicker , Winter Wally , Terminator , Monster’s Fair , Pentagram , Ardok the Barbarian , Cyrox , Escape from Doomworld , The Archers , 177 heavy level of shame :x: here , Cuthbert and the Golden Chalice , Dracula , & Howard the Duck: Adventure on Volcano Island

8 Likes

Wow, I am impressed by how many games everyone plays! I am jealous too! My list is very short, but that’s just how it is with my hectic life.

1. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
  2. Fobia
  3. Dream Alone
  4. Agony
  5. Breeder: Homegrown
  6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
  7. Weeping Doll
  8. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  9. .Dog
  10. .cat Milk
  11. Dredge
  12. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  13. .cat
  14. Sagebrush
  15. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  16. Elden Ring (played a lot but didn’t finish)
  17. Super Mario Party
  18. Battlefield 2042

My favorites of the year were:
Resident Evil 4
Dredge
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

6 Likes

Well it might be short but it looks like a good solid list of games that you completed man!

2 Likes

I did this as a status update on the main site already but here it is again.

Games that I launched at least once in 2023, ranked by how much joy they gave me. Asterisk means it would probably rank higher but I didn’t play it enough.

• Red Dead Redemption II
  • Pentiment
  • En Garde!
  • Full Void
  • Chained Echoes
  • Out of the Park Baseball 23
  • Out of the Park Baseball 24
  • Baldur’s Gate 3*
  • Into the Breach
  • Signalis
  • The Banished Vault*
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Stardew Valley
  • Fast Break College Basketball
  • Fast Break Pro Basketball 3
  • MLB The Show 22
  • Tape to Tape
  • Football Manager 2018
  • Football Manager 2014
  • Football Manager 2020
  • Football Coach: College Dynasty
  • Beat Saber
  • Rollerdrome
  • Dusk
  • Midnight Scenes Episode 2: The Goodbye Note
  • Midnight Scenes: The Highway
  • Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew*
  • The Cyclist: Tactics
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Inkulinati
  • Varney Lake
  • Laika: Aged Through Blood
  • Wandering Sword
  • Commandos 2 - HD Remaster
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
  • Asgard’s Wrath 2
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  • Misericorde: Volume One
  • Dreams in the Witch House
  • The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
  • Electrician Simulator
  • The Elder Scrolls: Blades
  • Divinity: Original Sin II
  • The Great Gaias
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Goblin Sword
  • The Plague Doctor of Wippra
  • Pro Basketball Manager 2023
  • If On A Winter’s Night, Four Travelers
  • Fallout 4
  • Shotgun King: The Final Checkmate
  • Papers, Please
  • The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
  • Australian Football Coach 2020
  • Vampires Dawn: Reign of Blood*
  • Breath of Death VII
  • Low Magic Age*
  • Pro Strategy Football 2023
  • Super Blood Hockey
  • Islands of the Caliph*
  • Space Wreck*
  • Gods of Sand
  • NBA 2K23
  • Dragon Sinker: Descendants of Legend
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper
  • Minos Strategos
  • Super Mega Baseball 3
  • Super Mega Baseball 4
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cricket 19
  • Snooker 19
  • Dune: Spice Wars*
  • Fears to Fathom - Home Alone
  • FIFA 22 (Can’t seem to launch on my Deck any more. Thanks, EA)
  • Madden NFL 22 (Can’t seem to launch on my Deck any more. Thanks, EA)
6 Likes

lot of baseball games I see!

2 Likes

I’ve always loved sports game and baseball is a fave

1 Like

A bit late, but I would I like to add my list in a roughly chronological order. My comments are about the completion of the game. I’m a adding :purple_heart: for those that are worth playing if you’re into the genre.

1. Murdered Soul Suspect: I had started it in 2015 and stopped because of the demons that were stressing me out. I usually avoid horror games and those enemies were a bit out of place in this detective game. Thankfully, I found a solution online to disable their threat and was able to fully enjoy the game. I don’t usually like to alter games from how they’re meant to be played, but I wouldn’t have finished it without that. :purple_heart:
  2. Technobabylon :purple_heart:
  3. Wonder Boy in Monster World: It’s from the SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics bundle on steam. I had played it on the Sega as a kid and I remember loving the visuals and the game. I consider it to be my first role-playing game. So I just played it a bit and well, it holds up, I still love the colorful hair of the characters :slight_smile: Of course, I lack the patience to play an old game.
  4. Kelvin and the Infamous Machine
  5. The Witcher III Blood and Wine: I played the main game in 2021, Heart of Stone in 2022 and started Blood and Wine in 2023. I welcomed the change of décor but I stopped at the beginning. I just needed a change (as I was also reading the books and watching the series). I’ll gladly immerse myself in colorful Toussaint once it feels right. :purple_heart:
  6. Samorost
  7. Invisible Apartment 2
  8. LoveChoice
  9. What Remains of Edith Finch :purple_heart:
  10. World of Warcraft: Dragonflight: still ongoing. :purple_heart:
  11. A Short Hike :purple_heart::purple_heart:
  12. Grotto :purple_heart:
  13. Pilgrims :purple_heart:
  14. It Takes Two: still ongoing. :purple_heart:
  15. Monument Valley: done with the main part.
  16. Samorost 2
  17. Kind Words (lo fi chill beats to write to)
  18. Tsioque :purple_heart:
  19. She Sees Red
  20. Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery :purple_heart:
  21. Two Point Hospital :purple_heart:
6 Likes