When Was The Last Time A Game Cracked Your Top Five?

I’m with you on this sentiment, and without going back to read what I wrote previously, I think I said something similar. But since you brought up NMS I have to say that I feel exactly the same way. I love it but the impact it had in me is different from the affect elicited by the games I find most meaningful. So it doesn’t crack into that group, but it’s still one of my favourite game experiences.

1 Like

I’m not completely sure that I have a definitive favourites ranking of some sorts but I went to check my all-time favourites shelf here and, while I like them all, I can separate them in two tiers. The last one that entered the all-time top tier was between Majora’s Mask and Link Between Worlds, both that were played on the 3DS. It could also be Mario Galaxy but I would say that, while I like it a lot, the other two are rated higher.

2 Likes

Most recent game to crack my top 5 is Fire Emblem: Three Houses, in 2019. Most recent game to reach a broader all-time-favorite status (i.e. I gave it 5 stars) is Butterfly Soup 2, last year.

Looking ahead, I’m not sure there’s any 5-star games coming up for me this year, but Goodbye Volcano High and Vernal Edge seem to have the best shot. Street Fighter 6 is in a unique position where it might end up getting 5 stars from me purely as a spectator, even if I never play it.

2 Likes

I’m not good with numbers/ranking, but I tried PaRappa the Rapper [PSP] late last year and it’s become my new favorite thing For The Time Being

Probably because he has a healthy and active social life

I really like Celeste too; I just re-played it on Steam Deck

2 Likes

I do keep a ranked shelf of my all-time faves: tylerisrandom's All-Time Faves shelf

I base it on how often I replay a game. Some games are really profound experiences, but if I don’t ever return to them, I don’t think I can really call them a favorite.

The most recent games on the list (aside from compilations of older games) are Persona 5, Ghost of Tsushima, Grindstone and Sonic Mania.

4 Likes

I just checked out your faves list and it’s a good list. I’ve played Sonic Adventure to death. I would replay any of my Top 10 right now

https://www.grouvee.com/user/33699-Inc/shelves/194407-my-top-50-favourite-games/

2 Likes

I don’t think I’m even capable of ranking my favourite games into a top 10 never mind a top 5, though I will say that the forgotten city which I played not that long ago would be up there with the best I’ve played despite me holding off on it for so long.

2 Likes