What is your most battle-worn console?

I hope everyone is well.

I was thinking this when conversing with a friend regarding my Switch and how little I use it honestly. It has sat on my shelf with no use for probably 6 months, due to a lack of software worth pulling it off the dock for in my opinion.

In regards to consoles or devices in general, I was curious as to what everybody thought of as a console that they not only think fondly of but have used more than others. If this makes sense, a console that has gotten a lot of use due to its design, library of games, support, etc.

For me, I would have to say that my PS3 would fit the bill. I bought it back in 2011 and have used it fairly regularly since, due to Sonyā€™s support through the store, and the great game selection. This is also coming from somebody who played mostly Xbox 360 around that time.

~ Prin

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had my Switch for just over a year now and I have probably played more games on average on that than I have on most consoles, and I pretty much exclusively play my PS4, and before that PS3. The library of both Nintendo titles and indies has me glued to the Switch. The portability makes it something I can play any time in a way that I just canā€™t with a TV dedicated console. Streaming changes that a bit, but the Switch is near perfect when it comes to convenience.

The Vita is a strong runner up, because I played a lot of indies on that prior to getting my Switch. Great console.

4 Likes

New 2DSXL. I put protective covers on it until they fall off through constant wear and tear. There are scratches on the screen, manky bits under the buttons, and an occasional thumbstick drift. But that thing is a workhorse. Thousands of hours and still going strong as far as Iā€™m concerned.

5 Likes

Hmmmm. Sega Megadrive. Xbox 360. Gamecube. My main consoles always take a beating.

2 Likes

For most hours put into a console, it has to be either the Dreamcast or Vita for me. The Dreamcast unfortunately wasnā€™t the sturdiest console in the world, so Iā€™ve had to replace it a couple times over the years. It had lots of great games I played over and over in my teenage years, and Iā€™ve gone back to many of them from time to time ever since.

My Vita is still working perfectly, and is in tip-top shape. Iā€™ve taken care of it of course, but Iā€™ve been very impressed with just how sturdy and reliable it has always been. Have never had any technical issues with it. Love its game library in general. Itā€™s the console that won me over for handheld gaming.

3 Likes

I definitely have the most games on my PS4, and I enjoy playing it more than anything else. But I also treasure my 3DS and have a binder full of games for it.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say I have the most games on my PS4 personally, but the ones I do have, I cherish. I find the system to be well worth the money after all these years, having purchased it roughly a year or so after it released.

1 Like

Honestly probably my 3DS, Iā€™ve had it since it came out and Iā€™ve played hundreds and hundreds of hours of games on it consistently for years. The finish even started to rub off so I got a case for it!

2 Likes

For years I would have said Dreamcast, but Iā€™m pretty sure 3DS passed it a few years ago. It has plenty of games I would happily play at home on a couch, but its size and clamshell design made it so easy to justify on my commute or when traveling.

The first-party games are still really greatā€¦ I still prefer Link Between Worlds to the new Linkā€™s Awakening, Samus Returns might be my favorite Metroid game, 3D Land felt like the first console-quality 3D platformer Iā€™d played on a handheld. The backwards-compatibility with DS games and inclusion of the virtual console helped a lot, tooā€¦ I played six Zelda games, eight Mario games, five Pokemon games, plus classics like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound for the first time on my 3DS. The eShop was also home to a lot of strange and special gaming experiencesā€¦ I fondly remember playing games like Shovel Knight, VVVVVV, HarmoKnight, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Pocket Card Jockey, etc.

It wasnā€™t perfect! Good golly is that display resolution rough. Fiddling with a stylus felt antiquated to me in 2011. The original 3D effect was pretty rough after the initial novelty wore off (though I continue to be impressed with the revised New 3DS version). But the combination of its library and form factor made it my go-to for many years.

4 Likes

What is a game that you have played most on it that you can recall? I have had mine for at least 5 years now, and there is a crack in the siding from being jostled here and there unfortunately. I have played a ton of Castlevania on mine, encompassing the 3 DS releases. I have also spent longer than Iā€™d care to admin playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

3 Likes

My wife has a 3DS XL which I bought for her years ago and I have to say, compared to my original 3DS, the screen is massive. I have to admit I have often ā€œborrowedā€ hers in order to get a bigger view of my town in Animal Crossing, etc.

2 Likes

Oh New Leaf, no question. I played New Leaf for 30 minutes on my daily commute for years. I donā€™t even want to share my total hours played, itā€™s embarrassing.

Sadly I stopped playing when my MicroSD card became corrupted, destroying my town. (Really hoping Nintendo makes good on their promise of some sort of backup for New Horizons.)

4 Likes

I had it down to a routine at one point as well, playing at certain parts of the day to capitalize on when this store opened or the museum opened, and when dig spots would respawn, etc.

2 Likes

God, thereā€™s so many, but Iā€™ve probably spent at least 100 hours each playing (multiple times) Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majoraā€™s Mask 3D, and PokĆ©mon Moon/Ultra Moon, plus replaying old PokĆ©mon gamesā€¦

2 Likes

I came to the 3DS very late. Maybe about two years ago or so. Iā€™ve played some really great games but Iā€™d be surprised if the tally of games exceeded ten to twelve. The first party Nintendo games are great, and so are some smaller studio games like Box Boy, but because the Vita was my go to indie and sidescrolller console, I seldom sought out similar games on the 3DS. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve missed out on a lot but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d invest a lot in scouring the 3DS back catalogue now that Iā€™ve moved on to the Switch. Not because it wouldnā€™t be worth it, but because thereā€™s only so much time to play.

3 Likes

Xbox 360. In my 20s I went through a real achievement hunter phase. I played a LOT of games then. I remember few of them.

1 Like

This is why I have no idea why so many Switches are in demand always. Mine, along with everyone else I know, has had their Switch as a dust collector for a long time. The library just stinks, imo, outside Zelda and Marioā€¦itā€™s just the same exact thing as the Wii and Wii U to me. Way too many epic games on PS4/PC/Xbox like Uncharted, Last of Us, Red Dead, God of War, Halo, GTA, Spider-man, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 2 and 3, FF7 Remake; I could go on forever on all the epic AAA franchises that are sorely lacking on the Switch. I have literally no interest in even turning on my console with the huge backlog of AAA games I have on my other consoles/PC!! Itā€™s crazy.

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more. I am waiting to see if the rumors surrounding the Mario game remasters is true. If it is, that will more than likely be the next time it powers on. Other than that, I have no interest honestly and I almost regret purchasing it.

1 Like

If we are just talking general usage it would have to be the NES. For one reason I actually played it. (There werent other consoles to pick from.) there were times Iā€™d leave it on all day or all night to ā€˜save progressā€™ I still have it and it still functions Iā€™m sure.

If we are talking about actual battles and scars from useā€¦ then thatā€™s probably going to be a handheld. For me thatā€™s the DMG Model 001, (also known as game boy) is built for the abuse any space marine can give it! Operates for 24 hours on four standard series 2A microfusion cells in wide range of extreme climates and gravities. Mine is scarred, its been dropped stepped on, chewed on (by man and beast) and exposed to corrosive xenomorphic substances (some external some internal) I think it has to win XDthis.

If we are talking about durability. Probably the atari 2600. If it came down to a bonus stage fight of Ryu VS a 30 second clock on the 2600. Put your money on the 2600. It will win.

I havent owned any handhelds since Game Boy Color. Iā€™d imagine they are in general, very durable in design but if you did a smash test of some kind I wonder which ones are the most durable of all, and if any of them could actually take on a Heavy Sixer

3 Likes

Nintendo Gamecube 2005-2006
Nintendo Wii 2006-2010
Playstation 3 2012-2013
Xbox 360 2010-2015
Playstation 4 2015-2018
Xbox One X 2019-

3 Likes