Short Games

I have the same issues as you have, with less and less time to play, so I have been specializing in smaller games the last 7 years (since I became a dad).

First of all, VR is your friend. Most games there are short and intense experiences, so it feels like you get “more” gaming in a shorter amount of time. But if you don’t have or want VR, here are some other recommendations I can give you:

Rogue Legacy 1+2 and Hades
All are excellent rogue-likes, which means they’re meant to be played in short bursts, but can be played for however long you have.

Road 96 and Road 96: Mile 0
Small, but open games that leave you with choices and a sense of discovery, even in a short playing time.

Outer Wilds
Not to be confused with Outer Worlds. One of the best indie games in later years, again playable in short bursts, and with a sense of discovery and mystery solving. Can’t recommend enough.

Barn Finders, House Flipper, House Builder
Some more relaxing games where you can play in short bursts and if you don’t finish them, you’re still left with a good experience.

The Forgotten City, Chicken Police, Disco Elysium, Carto, Doki Doki Literature Club
Just some random good story driven games with shorter length.

If you don’t find at least some gems from these, I don’t know what to tell you. My favorites are Hades, Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium.

4 Likes