Movies and TV, Anyone?

I watched Curb Your Enthusiasm’s Final Season. This probably doesn’t shock people but I am a massive Seinfeld (the show, not the comedian (his stand up is fine)) fan. Curb is enjoyable, and I definitely have hooted (and hollered!) watching Larry David’s foibles. However, I still deeply prefer Seinfeld’s more precise humor to Curb’s loosely goosey improv. So whenever Curb decides to dip its toes into the Seinfeld waters, my curiosity is piqued. I was fairly interested in the finale which is very obviously set up to play off of the much derided Seinfeld finale.* What I didn’t expect is how much it ends up relying on that original finale. It almost pulls a Neon Genesis Evangelion where the new finale kinda doesn’t work unless you’ve seen the original finale. (Btw, please let me know what you thought of the Curb finale if you have never seen the Seinfeld finale. You’re fascinating to me.) I enjoyed the Curb finale as a low stakes meta-joke, but all in all I felt this was a weaker season of the show. You might say I thought it was pretty pretty pretty alright.

*Quick thoughts on the Seinfeld finale- it is better than people give it credit for, I don’t know if I think there is a hypothetical “good ending” they could have done, and I actually like the idea that the four of them end up in prison after 9 seasons of them being little meanies.

2 Likes

Saw a couple new films.

Book of Clarence - interesting but didn’t quite work. Too many ideas.

Civil War - Liked this a lot. Awesome cinematography. Creative critique of America.

1 Like

Looks interesting. I think the origin of the Inquisitors is a tale worth telling, I’m just not sure how they’ll pull off a Star Wars story about bad guys. I’m intrigued tho.

1 Like

It’s amazing. It’s also just “Dropout” lol
Breaking News is funny, and I (usually) like Um Actually.

1 Like

Today we sawr Kung Fu Panda 4

– Kung Fu Panda was in it; and he played a role in the events that transpired

– It’s been a while since I saw 3; might’ve only seen it once

– A shapeshifter boss; that’s kind of cool. For some reason, I thought this one was gonna be about Knights?

– I totally guessed whom he was gonna choose to be the next Dragon Warrior

– I wonder if Po has any interest in a wife or anything ? Seems he’s probably more interested in food, not unlike Jughead

– Bryan Cranston; he voiced Fei Long in the Street Fighter 2 animated movie. And Ke Huy Quan; he was one of the Goonies. And James Hong, he was on Martial Law once

4 Likes

I watched all of these with my kids in preparation for KFP4 and there are some moments in 2 where Po and Tigress have chemistry. I like it just because there is a part of me that wants to see Angelina Jolie be in love with Jack Black.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing that documentary.

1 Like

Civil War is a movie about how together California and Texas can accomplish anything :sun_with_face:

I relate to the main characters of Civil War because I too would risk my life to talk to Nick Offerman.

I was possessed by Civil War! A film with excellent special effects, purposeful cinematography, and huge sound design- Civil War, from a technical standpoint, deserves to be seen in the theater. That isn’t to undercut its other elements. Specifically, Kirsten Dunst really embodies the weary war photographer. I’ve never loved a performance of hers in the past, but she really shines here. The auxiliary characters are also all believable and likable (great cast all around here with Wagner Moura, Stephen McKinley, and Cailee Spaeny).

The thing you might notice me not mentioning is the story. I don’t think the story is bad or incomprehensible or anything. It is well paced and clearly purposeful. But I don’t know if I can discern the greater purpose. The movie is fairly apolitical as pre-release press has stated with it arguing agreeable notions like ‘war is bad’ and ‘journalism is important’, but there is more going on. I just don’t fully know what that more is yet. I will watch this again in the future, and maybe I’ll figure it out then.

4 Likes

I liked the film a lot too. For me it was an outsider’s perspective on America. It critiqued what is true of all Americans, left, right or center: always wanting more. Wanting the perfect shot, wanting a tantalizing interview at all costs, even to the point of ignoring others’ well-being. So for me it critiques journalism as much as it celebrates. I also think it being apolitical will make it age well.

2 Likes

Just watched cable guy. Film was hilarious and great critique on technology.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of Jerrod Carmichael, and his new reality show is exactly the jawn I goof with. Funny, introspective, raw- it’s good stuff. But you should check it out just to hear Jerrod’s father say “Father God, will you keep the blood of Jesus over this Bojangles?”

2 Likes

This is one of my all time favorite movies. I will defend it to the ends of the earth.

As for the general question of the thread, I’ve mostly been watching Bluey. I don’t really have the capacity for anything else.

1 Like

I have to say my favorite part of the film was how the cable guy character was always “there” to handle issues.

Finally saw Oppenheimer. IMO it’s one of Nolan’s better films. The whole making of the A-bomb thing was fascinating, but I must admit the court case part in the last third really confused me. I didn’t understand the point of it or what RTD’s character was trying to achieve. Maybe I need to watch it again (man, folks on this site must think I’m stupid).

Wife and I are re-watching the new Planet of the Apes films in prep for the new one next month. Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes and had forgotten just how good it is. Even the CG really stands up, which is impressive considering it came out in 2014.

3 Likes

Watched Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie again. It’s pretty cool

–Poor Eliza; I don’t think Ken ken love her as much as Ryu. I wonder if she’ll be in SF6 in any capacity. I wonder if she likes Ryu; it’d be nice to see the 3 of them hanging out casually

–This is kind of the opposite of the live-action movie in that Guile is the only one who doesn’t really get a one-on-one Street Fight [that he wins]

–Great prank the hospital/Chun Li pulled on him at the end; he caused an accident rushing over there. Guess it was a slow day at the hospital !

–Akuma cameo; they should put him in SF6 next. And then maybe Fei Long, for OCD reasons

–It’s called the Shoryuken because it’s used by Ryu and Ken [and…Sho…?]

4 Likes

There’s an Akuma cameo? I can’t remember that. When does it happen?

3 Likes

He was just sitting against a wall in the India scene

Funnily enough, this is the first time I’ve actually noticed him myself [I had heard he had a cameo], but he’s actually pretty easy to see

3 Likes

Wow I loved SF2 movie I remember I was in a binge mode of all the SF media back in the day.

2 Likes

Excited to check this out. Been hearing good things from film festivals.

3 Likes

Has anyone been watching the Fallout tv show? I watched the first episode and it’s very promising. After not enjoying the Rings of Power or Wheel of Time, I was concerned but this starts out great, at least.

I love how they depict the Brotherhood. I love the references for those who’ve played the game.

And my favorite line has to be “Lucy, No!!!” “Well, that didn’t work.”

2 Likes