Movies and TV, Anyone?

I also love Nine. I just really don’t enjoy anything by Moffat so I find everything between Ten and Thirteen a slog.

2 Likes

Fair enough. The highlight of New Who for me was Matt Smith’s era. I enjoyed the vast amount of Moffat’s run, apart from maybe the last Capaldi series.

2 Likes

Recently watched The Night House which I wasn’t particularly impressed by but it seems to be popular among spooky movie fans. It’s about a woman who’s husband commits suicide and she discovers some dark secrets while going through his things, there’s some cool cinematography and visual effects too.

One film I watched that I WOULD recommend, however, is You Won’t Be Alone, a Macedonian movie about a young girl who is raised in a cave to keep her safe from a witch. Of course, the witch finds her, turns her into a witch, and wants her to be her own daughter. The young girl uses her powers to shape shift into other people’s forms to live among villages and people, it’s a moody, slow burn about humanity and loneliness, it talks about the suffering of the world and beauty that makes it all worth it, it’s really cool!

2 Likes

Watching Andor sent me on a little trip and I watched Rogue One, the entire main Star Wars legacy from Episode I through Episode IX, and have started watching The Mandalorian.

4 Likes

Started watching Del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities. It will probably surprise no one to learn it’s brilliant.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching Mobile Suit Gundam The 08th MS Team because sunrise uploaded it on YT and free anime is always good, would definitely recommend to any new Gundam fan.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, Derry Girls is one feckin’ funny show. Always nice to see other people watching it.

2 Likes

Watching Obi-Wan Kenobi. Can’t get off this whirlwind tour of Star Wars TV it seems. That or I’m dying for filler in between Andor episodes.

2 Likes

Watched a movie called God’s Country and it’s an odd one, seems too unfocused but there’s a good movie in there somewhere… Very beautifully shot but it strays all over the map from commentary on policing, racism in academics, to toxic masculinity and so on. It heaps a bunch on it’s plate but spends so much time moving from issue to issue that none of them get particularly resolved.

Still recommend ,the cinematography is fantastic and the acting is still very good!

2 Likes

We just watched Little Miss Sunshine; someone recommended it because it’s like Napoleon Dynamite [in a way]

But it’s rated R and I usually don’t care for those

1 Like

Finally got around to watching Pearl and it is so much fun! It’s not as “sexy” as X, in fact it has a totally different identity. You could watch it as a standalone film, honestly, though the nods to X throughout are pretty fun.

Mia Goth rules, I’m a huge fan now, her monologue scene and the ending are so, so good, MaxXxine is gonna be great, I can already tell!

2 Likes

Can’t believe how good Wednesday is, especially as Tim Burton hasn’t done anything good since Corpse Bride. My wife and I are absolutely loving the show, and I think it has the best opening episode I’ve ever seen!

2 Likes

Watched Netflix’sTroll tonight. SO much fun. One of the best monster movies I’ve seen.

1 Like

I’ve been tentatively interested in this, but also leery at trying to take the quirkiness of the Addams Family, throw in some magic school stuff, and make a CW show out of it.

1 Like

Lately I’ve been watching the old Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes show. I love a neat little 80s quality production BBC mystery.

1 Like

It’s nothing like a CW show…in that it’s actually good.

It’s not really a “magic school” thing. It has more in common with Xavier’s School for Gifted Children than Hogwarts. It’s cleverly written, and the dialogue is top notch. I’d recommend giving it a go.

2 Likes

Around this time of year, I always rewatch the Ashita no Joe christmas episode (Season 2, episode 10 of course ( •̀ ω •́ )✧) and get cozy. It captures the evening snowy feeling just perfectly. It makes my heart get all sappy and nostalgic…make me wanna smoke a big cigar…but I don’t smoke, so it’s just my imagination.

I also like watchin’ Akira Kurosawa’s Ikiru around this time. I know he does samurai films mostly, but this one feels special. Like a Japanese business man’s a Wonderful Life… Well, it’s actually based off Leo Tolstoy story partly, so there’s that. I always think of the part where the man is sitting on a swing as the snow comes down al around him, singing Gondola no Uta with his whole heart.
Inochi mijikashi…koi seyo otome…akaki kuchibiru… asenu ma ni…
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

2 Likes

I tried to watch Dragon Age: Awakening but just couldn’t. I’m not an anime fan at the best of times but that style reaaaaally doesn’t suite Dragon Age IMO and the main character was such a boring paint-by-numbers “angry at the world but is misunderstood” type with support characters being “plucky thief” or “self assured warrior.” Just so dull. Won’t be going back for ep 2.

1 Like

I didn’t watch a whole lot of new TV this year (and what I did was just new seasons of things like Rick & Morty) but I gotta say…“Kevin Can F**k Himself” is not only the best show I saw this year, but maybe one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Really need to watch Season 2 and see how it all ends.

1 Like

Just watched The Ascent, which is a Russian anti-war film from the 70s and was very good, very beautifully shot.

But the movie I would recommend most, if you want to ugly cry for a bit, is Aftersun which is beautiful, bittersweet and very, very sad. A young father takes his daughter on a vacation to Turkey during summer break, the bits and moments of every day life are cut with the tension and looming spectre of depression, quiet scenes where things get too real abruptly turn to “well, we’re on vacation! Let’s go have fun!” and it’s just as mentally exhausting as reality. Fantastic film, masterpiece.

2 Likes