Monthly Retro Game Club

That’s the cover of Wario Land 1, one of my favorites

3 Likes

3 Likes

I really wanted that game as a kid based almost entirely on the cover.

3 Likes

Thanks, I grabbed the wrong link from the main database because they both pop up when you type in Wario Land 3.

3 Likes

Loving the small and interesting levels in wario land 3 but slightly annoyed at some of the gameplay mechanics not being explained. They’re obvious once you know but it’s a case of “but i didn’t even know that was an option”.

If you want it to remain a mystery then stop reading now but I’m talking specifically about rolling through small spaces and jumping whilst ducking. Got stuck on level 4 and 5 because it was not made obvious that you could do the duck jumping and roll down hills to get through small gaps… Maybe they’re assuming you’ve played wario land 1&2?

5 Likes

I know February is up, but posting this slipped my mind at the end of the month. I did try my hand at Golden Eye on the Switch and it’s an abysmal experience. Although I think some of the door lag is not as bad as it is on Xbox (for whatever reason that is), this version is simply unplayable with the original controller scheme. Maybe I could eventually re-adapt to it, but with dual stick controls standardized over time since this game was popular, it’s just a pure nightmare trying to play with a single analogue stick. How the hell did we ever play this damn thing (and play it a lot in my experience)?

5 Likes

Finished my other game and decided to give Wario Land 3 a try ! I wanted to add it to my records at some point anyway. It was actually my first Game Boy Color game back in the day, I think

An invincible protagonist is an interesting idea; I guess the stages are sort of…more like puzzles, then ? The enemies that send him flying when I don’t want them to seems like the kind of thing that could get annoying

I wonder if it’s going to be sorta Metroidvania-like [I don’t remember much past the first few stages, but it looks that way]

5 Likes

I never did end up trying Golden Eye on the Switch. I’ve even got the incredibly necessary 64 controller for the Switch. I just really enjoyed my time with it on the Xbox, and heard nothing but bad things about the Switch version.

I remember beating 00 Agent on every single level, and then doing some of the harder levels on my friend’s games. I don’t know how I did it because I generally only have average skillz as a gamer. Even with the dual stick now I don’t think I could beat the level where you start in the ceiling in a bathroom and have to fly through the level without making a mistake.

3 Likes

I did notice the Switch/N64 version seems to have pretty aggressive auto sim. As long as I pointed Bond in the direction of an enemy and fired, I’d hit them with very little effort. That probably helped.

3 Likes

I was a little surprised how far i got in Wario Land 3 so far, not having played it in forever. I only had to look up one thing, I think

Between this and Pokemon Gold/Silver…day/night cycles must’ve been The Big Thing back in the days of Game Boy Color

4 Likes

I am sick [in more ways than one] and had a moment to finish Wario Land 3 ! [I didn’t do this on purpose]

It was great; I’dn’t played this one in years–but, I remembered bits and pieces. And I remembered who the Final Boss was

I always preferred Wario Land 1 because it’s more straightforward, for one thing–but I eventually got into 3 this time and couldn’t put it down

Maybe I’ll have to try 2 and 4 at some point !

5 Likes

im enjoying 3. its trickier than I ever thought it would be which is good I suppose! Definitely going to go back to 1 and then play 2 and 4!

3 Likes

good to see Grouvee MRGC got resurrected over the past year or so. 2022 wasn’t much of a retro gaming year for me, I just fiished Wario 2 so I need a bit of a break before going back to Wario Land!

This is an intersting site with lots of lists and some research into classic consoles, might be worth looking at Lists | Black Falcon Games | Page 2

4 Likes

Hi all. Apologies, I’ve been a bit busy the last few days and didn’t get a chance to really run a poll for our April games. So I hope no one minds, but I’m selecting a couple games from our past polls for this month’s collection of games. I’m selected three so that there is enough of a spread to cover a wide range of interests. I’ll also be sure to schedule a May poll later this month, but feel free to float ideas my way anytime.

April Retro Games

Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty (Amiga, DOS, MegaDrive/Genesis, MyAbandonware.com)

Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty (titled Dune II: Battle for Arrakis in Europe and Dune: The Battle for Arrakis for the North American Mega Drive/Genesis port respectively) is a real-time strategy Dune video game developed by Westwood Studios and released by Virgin Games in December 1992. It is based upon David Lynch’s 1984 film Dune, an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s science fiction novel of the same name.

While not the first real-time strategy (RTS) video game, Dune II established the format that would be followed for years to come. As such, Dune II is the archetypal real-time strategy game. Striking a balance between complexity and innovation, it was a huge success and laid the foundation for Warcraft, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, StarCraft and many other RTS games that followed.

Gothic II (PC, Steam)
Cover art for Gothic II: Gold Edition

Gothic II is a role-playing video game by German developer Piranha Bytes and the sequel to Gothic. It was released on 29 November 2002 in Germany and in North America on 28 October 2003. The game was published by JoWooD Productions and Atari

Gothic II was a commercial success in Germany, and became JoWood’s biggest hit at the time of its release. By 2004, it had sold over 300,000 units when combined with its expansion pack, Night of the Raven. Sales of Gothic II alone ultimately surpassed 400,000 units by 2007, following its re-release as a budget title in Germany.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GameBoy, Nintendo Switch)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is a 1992 platform video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Game Boy. It is the sequel to Super Mario Land. In Super Mario Land 2, the player assumes the role of the protagonist Mario, whose main objective is to reclaim his personal island, Mario Land, from the clutches of his greedy rival Wario. The gameplay builds and expands on that of its precursor with innovations carried over from Super Mario World.

Super Mario Land 2 received critical acclaim upon release and sold over 10 million copies, becoming one of the most successful and highest-rated titles on the Game Boy. Reviewers emphasized that the game surpassed its predecessor in all aspects. Super Mario Land 2 marks the debut appearance of Wario, who would become a prominent character in the Super Mario series as the antihero of several games, the first being this game’s sequel Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. Super Mario Land 2 was re-released in 2011 as a downloadable title for the Nintendo 3DS, and the Nintendo Switch in 2023, as part of the Nintendo Switch Online service.

6 Likes

Due to health problems I am a bit behind, so do not worry about being late with the April games / no poll.

I am still fighting with and in Goldeneye. It is extremely good and if I had had access to it back then I would have played the hell out of it for months, but nowadays it is a hard game for me and I am struggling with it. The fact that it really does have the feel of old James Bond movies despite the low polygon graphics is amazing, it actually holds up and I understand why people still do speedruns of it. I do more of a "snail run":laughing: and I will definitely watch the rest of the game on Youtube.

I am also still hoping someone will join me with Gothic II, I would love to hear what you all think about it. It is definitely my next game. It might also be the game I have the most nostalgia for of all the games I have ever played.

I do not have many games that I look back on with nostalgia, as many of you do with Nintendo games, for example. Sometimes it makes me sad that my parents kept me away from games throughout my youth. The Gothic series could be my equivalent to Donkey Kong when it comes to good memories and the wish to talk and praise every janky detail in the game, including the frustrations for some sections.

My favorite music video with quotes of the German version. The game has somewhat reached cult status in Germany.

Title: “Entspann dich! Iss mal 'ne Wurst Bruder! Es ist wichtig Bruder! Nimm eine Wurst!” (Relax! Have a sausage brother! It’s important brother! Have a sausage!)

It ends with: “Thank you, I hope it won’t be the last sausage I will get here.” Everything original quotes from the games. The game can’t hide that it is from Germany with all the sausage talk, right? :joy:

5 Likes

I like Super Mario Land 2 ! I played it when they added it to the whatchamacallit earlier this year, but I’d be happy to do it again

They need to put up Super Mario Land 1 at some point; I’m sure they will

2 Likes

You don’t really need to play it again. Part of the impetus for this club is to create discussion, and I if y9u already played it this year, you are set.

3 Likes

I will try to get Gothic II running on Steam Deck and report back with my thoughts.

2 Likes

I will try to get Gothic II running on Steam Deck and report back with my thoughts.

The German Gothic community says it works, but needs a workaround to get the music to play as it should. Fingers crossed you get it working!

1 Like

I re-played Super Mario Land 2 again anyway, because that’s the kind of person I am ! It’s pretty short so I had time before I leave

– Game Boy games are so cute

– I always thought this was one of the more unique Mario games, since he can tackle the zones in any order and doesn’t save a Princess…could he have been given the castle/land for his Princess-saving accomplishments ? Does he still own the castle, but prefer to live in his house ?

– And the levels are interesting; there’s a level in a submarine, in a whale, in a house…

– It could be that Wario and Tatanga were [retroactively] in cahoots the whole time, which is kind of funny that Mario’s childhood rival would be the bigger threat than an alien invasion

– This could’ve been a good one to have on-hand for that Halloween challenge last year. There should be more seasonal challenges like that

– BABALITY

4 Likes