JRPG Hangout

Just for fun, here’s a loosely ordered list of my favorite JRPGs! How many have y’all played, which do you love/hate, and which ones did I clumsily overlook? Which Final Fantasy do you think should be on top, even though 8 is clearly the best?

(Tales and Phantasy Star aren’t included only cuz I’ve never delved into them, no shade intended!)

• Final Fantasy 8
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (it sorta counts!)
  • Atelier Ayesha
  • Fire Emblem 7
  • Style Savvy: Trendsetters
  • Earthbound
  • Persona 3/5
  • Wine and Roses
  • FF7 Remake
  • Ruined King: A League of Legends Story
  • Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3
  • Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Atelier Meruru
  • Final Fantasy 5
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Undertale
  • Rune Factory Frontier
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Parasite Eve
  • Final Fantasy 12
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Mega Man Battle Network
  • Grandia
9 Likes

@GlitchtheGameGremlin
Great points you made here. I tend to agree with all.
I like the distinction you point out between J/W RPGs where western ones are more about character creation, you really play a role by creating and living it out, and Japanese ones usually already have pre-defined (well-defined) strong characters, you assume their role(s), and you kind of unravel a preset story.
I think both approaches have their merits and appeal, and I think it’d be cool to see the lines blur a bit more.
I love open-world exploration but also see how it can get boring if its empty. Yet FFX with its linearity is a good example of a good JRPG despite lacking an open-world. It had strong characters (Auron’s a fave of mine) and an interesting story.

@Nelemania
I forgot to include something about the music! Certainly, good OSTs are a strong aspect of a JRPG.

So with cut-scenes, they emphasize the story-heavy part of a JRPG, making them more cinematic. I agree, they don’t need to be anime style. Just like a JRPG setting doesn’t have to be sci-fi or medieval.

3 Likes

@shinespark
Nice list of JRPGs there. Of those, I’ve played only two! FF8 (did not finish) and Earthbound (finished).

I got very close to the end of FF8 but dropped out. For me, I put FF8 at the bottom of the FFs I’ve played: FF6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. (I did try/play FF1, 2, 3, and 4, but only very briefly on mobile). I’ve played through FF7 twice, but have not tried FF7 Remake. I’d like to play FF5 due to its robust job system, similar to Bravely Default II, I’ve read. FF12 is interesting, I’d like to try it, but I’m not sure I’d like it enough to finish it.

Earthbound is a great JRPG, I really liked it (around 1995).

Chrono Trigger is on my backlog.

Fire Emblem franchise has never compelled me. I consider it a strategy RPG, which I’ve just never got into. But I would like to try Triangle Strategy.

Trials of Mana looks very good to me and is on my wishlist.

As for Mario SuperSaga, I’ve not played it, but I did finish Super Mario RPG on SNES and had fun with it long ago.

I, too, have only dabbled in a Tales of… game, but I’ve got Vesperia Def. Ed. on my backlog and fully intend to play through it (I’ve already watched the prequel movie Tales of Vesperia First Stirke and enjoyed it). I also plan to buy and play through the new Tales of Symphonia Remaster on Switch.

So many good games!

5 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

You’ve gotten a lot farther than you should have. But then, I haven’t unleashed a JRPG’s fans worst nightmare on this forum yet…

WESTERN RPG’s! MwaHAHA

4 Likes

I personally think that The best Final Fantasy game by far would have to go to Final Fantasy Adventure. While yes, It’s a Mana series game, I DO think it’s the best FF-Mana game on gameboy (the only of it’s kind), and you can’t say that for 12, 8, 5, 0r 7. Checkmate, person with better taste in gaming than me.

4 Likes

Yeah definitely give FF5 a shot! It’s very breezy, and like you say the job system is fun to mess around with. And then Chrono Trigger is probably still the best-paced JRPG ever, plus Ayla was one of the very first characters that made me feel like there was space in videogames for women to be heroic.

3 Likes

For sure FF Adventure rules, it’s super charming! Growing up I could only ever play it in teensy snippets during sleepovers with my friend who had a gameboy, so it’s always had a mysterious and unknowable vibe for me.

3 Likes

@shinespark
With FFV Pixel Remaster finally coming to Switch, I’ll have a great chance to play it. And I think it’s “short” around 40 hours?

3 Likes

Of this list, I’ve played:

• Chrono Trigger: Loved the concept, characters and battle system, though it took me a few tries to get into because the beginning of the game felt slow to me!
  • Earthbound: Had to use a walkthrough after getting myself completely stuck, but I love the vibes.
  • Persona 3/5: Persona 5 is one of my all-time faves! Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden were a great time on Vita.
  • FF7 Remake: Did not love it, but the production values were lovely.
  • Undertale: I know this game’s indebted to Earthbound, but I greatly prefer it!

I loved Grandia II (particularly the combat), would you recommend the first Grandia?

6 Likes

@tylerisrandom
What, if anything, in particular about FF7R made you not love it, or was it many small things? Curious if the action-based combat was a factor. I’ve not played it. How was pacing?

I know for some, maybe many, no remake can ever match or replace the impact of an original version, even when the original is technically inferior.

I replayed FF7 on Switch not long ago and really enjoyed the whole playthrough after all these years. Hard to beat the nostalgia too.

2 Likes

I think I did a good job summarizing my experience with both FFVII and the remake in my review.

The short version is that I’ve never enjoyed the original, I had a better time with the remake, but I still don’t completely get it.

6 Likes

@tylerisrandom
Yes, I read it and think you summed it well (though I haven’t played the remake). It sounds like you played a…JRPG!

3 Likes

So, by consensus vote, the top 5 items suggest that a JRPG is:

A story-heavy game, portrayed via cut-scenes and with a party of progressing characters, that’s made in Japan.

What do you all think?

3 Likes

I think it’s hard to tightly define any genre and some will have more or less rigid criteria. And I’m sure you’ll find some don’t fully agree with that given definition, while others might find it satisfactory. I’d certainly say it’s probably as valid as any other definition.

But I’ll put this to you, how do many of From Soft’s games fit, if most of those elements don’t apply? I think many would agree From Soft games are JRPGs, yet they tell their stories through gameplay, world building and atmosphere, and they generally lack a part of characters, with a single protagonist at the centre.

My point is simply for every hard definition we try to apply to genre we realize that the boundaries of what contains a genre are often fuzzy.

4 Likes

I think you’re right. It can be hard to put things in a box. I think a JRPG, for example, might be best defined as more like, “You know it when you see it.” And people have different experiences with them and thus varying views on what a JRPG is/should be.

My own idea of a JRPG is “Final Fantasy VI” because that was the first one I ever played, so it set the standard for me. But it’d be very different if I had started with, say, a From Soft game I think.

That said, I’m kind of ignorant since I’ve never played a From Soft game. But it sounds like they fit close enough to JRPG criteria.

One easy example/thought I’ve had is that JRPGs do not at all need to be made in Japan. I played through Ara Fell, a modern retro-JRPG by indie devs Stegosoft based in Washington D.C., not Japan.

Your point is well taken and reminds me of the ever-difficult question of…Is Zelda An RPG (of any kind)? My opinion on this one is mostly no…and rather than caveat/explain further here, I want to say it’s not something I would want to be dogmatic about. It’d be too difficulty, anyways, to define hard lines between action, adventure, action-adventure, etc.

Some people make a point to say Super Mario Bros. is, on some level, a JRPG since it comes from Japan and has players assume the role of a plumber who progresses from small to large to fire wielding etc. and must save the world from an evil dragon. I’d argue otherwise, but it’s not a hill worth dying on.

All that said, I do also think it’s helpful at times, as fits, to place things in clear bounded areas, making distinctions, etc, because it is sometimes helpful to, as much as possible, define things in general. So game genres/categories do have some place. I think they’re a tool and a guide. So when someone says a certain game is a platformer or a FPS or a JRPG, I basically know what I’m getting into.

2 Likes

That’s exactly my point about the fuzziness of genre boundaries. Even if From Soft games are a take on western RPGs, by definition they are still Japanese RPGs. Genre categories are a useful shortcut to thinking about similarities and differences between games for grouping them for analysis and discourse, but genre categories are never hard and fast rules about what constitutes a game.

4 Likes

My point was that From Soft games complicate that one definition outlined above, yet is still a Japanese RPG, and points to how genre lines can be blurry or fuzzy due to the ways games that share commonalities can still contain significant differences.

4 Likes

I think this is one of those things people will argue to the end of time about. Can it be a JRPG, or is it a western RPG inspired by JRPGs? And then what of Secret of Evermore a game developed by Square USA and sold only in North America? It contains JRPG tropes, but none of the development, marketing or distribution involves Japan at all, other than Square USA was a subsidiary of Square in Japan. Is it a JRPG, or is it simply built in the mould of a JRPG?

I think most people would say no because it lacks most of the common RPG structural elements and is very much an action-adventure game, even potentially an action-adventure-puzzle game.

I wouldn’t say that being from Japan is a criteria in isolation that renders a game a JRPG. A game still requires other RPG elements to fit within the category. So Super Mario Bros. is not a JRPG but Super Mario RPG is.

This is precisely what genre categories are useful for. That’s why I say they are shortcut to grouping works for the purpose of analysis or discourse and why they are guidelines and not hard and fast rules. They allow us to group things to get an better idea of what to expect, while not necessarily prescribing and exact and rigid shape for the works within the genre. This has it’s downsides, but is generally agreed to be useful. It’s also interesting to note that game genre discourse is patterned after film genre discourse rather than the literary model of genre (Frye), as as such follows similar structures when it comes to what we perceive and discuss as genre commonalities.

4 Likes