IGDB Data Switch Discussion

Oh wow I did not know that was happening at giantbomb.

I still contribute semi-regularly to GB, but can say that any data that needs moderator approval is definitely taking substantially longer to get the nod. I reported two duplicate game pages about a month ago and they still haven’t been addressed. :frowning:

4 Likes

You’re right. It’s not acceptable, and it’s my fault. I don’t have time to keep up with it, I haven’t built a good enough system to let the community do it, and I don’t have the resources to pay the volunteers who help me to do it. I owe such much to all the volunteers who have donated their time that have helped me over the years. I wish I could pay everyone a full time salary to do it.

I promise I’m working on the transition to IGDB when I have time. I know other sites like backloggd have better data, but I really do think we have a better shelf system. I just need to pair the better data with the better shelves and we’ll be back at full force again.

7 Likes

Here’s the thing: at the end of the day, Giant Bomb may not be perfect, but it is working. And it’s important for everybody to remember that this is a free resource that you are giving to us in your spare time. So please don’t feel that the discussion here is meant to be any kind of critique of your priorities, or pressure on you to give us…you know…a better free resource.

Personally, I think Grouvee’s a great site. I like the shelves, I love the community, I plan to be here a while and I’m excited for whatever changes come in their due time. Unless you plan to make the site tarantula-themed, in which case I take all of it back. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

+1 what @Jeslie wrote.

Don’t beat yourself up about taking your time, @peter. It sounds like the transition will require a lot of work, and no-one could reasonably expect you to do it quickly. (Also – more haste, less speed, and all that.)

6 Likes