Grouvee Parenting

Trying to emulate Bandit from Bluey’s parenting is perhaps unrealistic, however, remember, the episodes are only 7 minutes long, so technically he’s only playing with them for a short time. And we can all manage that right?

Keepy Uppy is a fun game anyway.

4 Likes

It takes my 6 year old 7 minutes to explain the rules to whatever game he’s made up. I guess I’m not a good parent because I normally zone out like halfway through :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The boy wound up in A&E today with a fever that wouldn’t go down and a very sore throat. Its late evening now and he’s woken up crying his eyes out as it hurts and we can’t give him more painkiller yet. His mother is with him, holding his hand while he clutches the teddybear the nice nurse at the hospital gave him today for being such a brave boy. And I feel so helpless. There’s literally no more i can do for him except wait for him to either fall asleep from exhaustion or his next dose of medicine to be due and KO him with that. Parenting is hard.

4 Likes

I had a situation recently where my kid was struggling to breathe while laying in bed at night. Only realized it happened because I decided to check on them before I went to bed. Ended up spending the night in the ER waiting for help for hours. Night ended with them getting a steroid which helped open up their throat, but we don’t know why their throat closed up in the first place. Real sense that this could happen again and worse and there is nothing we can do about it.

I love being a parent, but I hate this feeling that my kids aren’t safe.

5 Likes

This exactly. It’s like my #1 job. Safety! And dispensing biscuits, if you ask him.

Hope you figure the issue out. Almost sounds like an allergic reaction to something, or maybe asthma. Who knows. They don’t know either, which makes it worse!

The boy did fall back to sleep and is cracking on with his day now. Still sounds very rough but he doesn’t let it get him down. Unlike me. I hate being ill!

4 Likes

Experience of sleep routines for 3 years olds?

Mine is usually asleep by 7.30 - 8. But he’s woke me up before 6am every day this week. We recently removed the bars on his bed so he can get up and come find us himself. And it’s getting brighter in the morning which also doesn’t help, i think.

2 Likes

My kids also wake up before 7am. They are on Spring Break and still are waking up at ~6:20am. I guess my one piece of advice is that it does get easier… at least with the sleeping in thing. While my four year old wakes up at 6:30am, my seven year old is also already up and will help them watch a show and get some cereal. There are days where I won’t get up until 8:30 or so and my kids have all been hanging out taking care of one another. I think around age six my kids could be self sufficient in the morning, and a year later my kids could help a younger kid.

2 Likes

Oh one other thing- I bought my kids black-out curtains and that has helped. My kid who sleeps with a window right next to their bed is also the one who sleeps in the latest.

2 Likes

If I may ask, who is that guy in your profile picture?

1 Like

Me. I had to cut my hair for work.

2 Likes

Nice haircut. Reminds me that I need a haircut next week.

1 Like

Speaking of haircuts, any tips for convincing a 3yr old that haircuts are great and totally something worth letting a barber or daddy do to them? Cause mine flat out refuses and all ive managed is a wonky fringe so far.

3 Likes

We started by cutting their hair. They were a bit more comfortable with us doing it than a stranger. But now my two oldest, 9 and 7, get hair cuts and the next oldest, 6, is interested in getting hair cuts. I think it is all just desensitization. How do you get someone to feel comfortable with a stranger with scissors making cuts right around their head? Have a person they love use scissors to make cuts right around their head.

My one other piece of advice is let the kids decide what they want to do with their hair. They got good instincts and it will make the whole experience less of a fight.

3 Likes