Duplicate database entries

Two versions of Japanese School Life to be merged. As far as I can tell, there’s only one on Giantbomb.

2 Likes

Generally enhanced remakes such as HD Remasters get their own entry. Yu-No for Switch and PS4 have new art and music so they definitely qualify.

1 Like

Also, two entries for the game Belladonna.

2 Likes

Well, Gabriel Knight 1 20th Anniversary Edition for example does not have a separate entry (it’s listed as a release for the 1993 game) despite also having new graphics and music, in addition to being reprogrammed from scratch (unlike YU-NO’s remake which seemingly reuses the game logic from the original). The same goes for most of the the Sierra VGA remakes, all redone from scratch (often going as far as changing the interface from a parser to a point-and-click one!) yet with no separate entries. Space Quest 1 is an exception.

This looks like an inconsistency problem that should be addressed.

1 Like

I’m personally of the camp that separate entries are a good thing. This site’s purpose is commenting on and reviewing games, and that feedback becomes more accurate by it being crystal clear which version is being discussed.

1 Like

Where does one draw the line between a remake and a new release, though? Let’s consider Monkey Island 1. (Currently all its versions are listed as releases under one entry. Also there’s no release differentiation whatsoever between the floppy VGA and EGA versions although there should be.) Let’s also focus on PC and ignore the ports. We have:

1. The floppy EGA version (original)
  2. The floppy VGA version (same as 1 except the graphics are redone; different artstyle for closeups)
  3. The CD version (same as 2 except the interface and music are redone)
  4. The Special Edition (everything but the code is redone; it’s literally running on top of 3 code-wise)

People almost always refer to the Special Edition as a remake, but in that case the earlier updates might qualify as remakes too. How much should be changed before qualification? There’s also a bit of a Theseus’ ship problem here: 1 and 2 are not so different from each other, and 2 and 3 are not either, but between 1 and 3 everything but the code has been redone, about as much of a difference as between 3 and 4.

Also, if Monkey Island 1 Special Edition would qualify as a separate entry, should the remasters of Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle qualify too?

2 Likes

Merged the dupe. I’ll leave the remake be, it’s probably different enough.

1 Like

Merged Belladonna and Japanese School Life. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think I got all the Crusader Kings II mess cleaned up. They had a lot of DLC that was named wrong or duplicated.

2 Likes

Merged Viridi. At first I was like, how do so many people have this game? I’ve never heard of it. Then I saw it was free :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Grey Lancer is merged into Advanced Busterhawk Greylancer.

2 Likes

@Daninokuni The impostor has been eliminated.

4 Likes

Duplicate entries for Kingdom Come: Deliverance
https://www.grouvee.com/games/73270-kingdom-come-deliverance-from-the-ashes/
https://www.grouvee.com/games/73271-kingdom-come-deliverance-from-the-ashes/
https://www.grouvee.com/games/73272-kingdom-come-deliverance-from-the-ashes/

1 Like

Gahkthun has been merged!

2 Likes

These are actually fine the way they are. If it’s a DLC, each platform gets its own entry. It’s a little annoying, but it’s how I had to do it with the data that comes from GB.

1 Like

Xenoblade’s was a little confusing, but since it can be played standalone, I merged it into the entry that is entirely separate of the main game.

2 Likes

Sky was really messed up in the database. I don’t know how all 3 of those games got into Giant Bomb’s database, and are still there. I merged them into the Children of the Light entry as that’s its real name.

2 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with more Horaces in the world, but I think we have an extra here

2 Likes

Merged.

2 Likes

Looks like we got two entries for Twin Robots here:

https://www.grouvee.com/games/47329-twin-robots/

2 Likes