Do you read gaming magazines (on paper or in an app, not the websites)?

I wondered why I stopped buying those magazines and reading what you wrote, I think it was the same for me. When I stopped commuting by train, I stopped going to the newsagent at the station, and a subscription was never something I felt it was worth getting.

2 Likes

A lot of people buy things like that based on their routines and as soon as it’s out of reach it kind of gets forgotten about or rarely bought again! A subscription model is probably great for people who like it delivered to their home but I really enjoyed the spontaneous feeling of potentially seeing it in the shop if I was lucky and then flicking through it and thinking “okay, its good i’ll buy it”

2 Likes

haha, sorry but I just ain’t blindly buying something!!

2 Likes

yeah i used to read nintendo power in the 90’s and flipped to PC Gamer in the early 2000s. I don’t read mags like that anymore but I do sometimes read the articles and reviews over at HardcoreGaming101.net Sometimes I do get out the old Nintendo Powers (I have almost a complete set) to read simultaneously playing something old.

The main thing worth checking out is those PC Gamer demo discs. That’s probably been archived too. They liked to put some exclusive mods and other extras on them that are nice… Also if you are into demo discs there are playstation megatorrents for that sort of thing/archive.org (can’t remember where I got it from)

The main thing i look out for at the would-be garage sale is stuff like RPG Sourcebooks/Expansion Modules/Scenarios and books like Jeff Rovin’s How to Win at nintendo games and other ‘strategy guide books’ that predate 2000. These are nice to collect not so much for the information in them but Because they tend to really show their age.

The Super Mario Adventures and LEgend of Zelda Link to the Past Graphic Novels/Mangas are pretty cool. That Zelda one fetches well over a hundred bucks last time I looked.

4 Likes

Ah the playstation demo discs! I remember getting tons of those from garage sales even when ps1 was in its prime kind of thing. Couldn’t afford full games so just got a ton of demos, I think it was a blessing in disguise because my attention span isn’t the best so a lot of games on one disc? Yes please!

Haven’t touched one in about 20 years, would love to take a trip down memory lane sometime and get some

3 Likes

I picked up a copy of Edge when they had the exclusive reveal of the Playdate and ended up subscribing as I really enjoyed everything else in it. There’s not much in the way of news, given the web will always beat them to it, so most of the stuff is longer form, which is a nice change from scrolling through a feed in an RSS reader.

I’ve been mulling switching to a digital subscription to offset the guilt of chucking a stack of dead trees into the recycling bin every six months or so, but the layout work absolutely shines in print so I’m still unsure.

They’ve gotta be one of the oldest outlets still going at this point right?

3 Likes

Sadly there aren´t gaming magazines in Latin America, some years ago we had “Club Nintendo” created by the master Gus Rodríguez but the magazine stopped it´s publication after the fall of the Wii U. :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes