Game Club Episode 3: Shovel Knight

For episode 3 of the Grouvee Game Club, we’re going to be playing Shovel Knight!

If you want to get in on the discussion, either leave a post here, or email us at podcast@grouvee.com. We’ll update the post with our recording date once it gets closer.

3 Likes

The game is available on a bunch of platforms. Here are some quick links to purchase if you don’t have it and want to play along.

PSN (PS4 / PS3 / PS Vita Cross-Buy): Official PlayStation™Store US | Home of PlayStation games, PS4, PS3, PSVita

Xbox One: Buy Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - Microsoft Store

Wii U: Shovel Knight for Wii U - Nintendo Game Details

3DS: Shovel Knight for Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo Game Details

PC (Steam): Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove on Steam

PC (GOG): Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove on GOG.com

2 Likes

So for people who are playing along, what do you think of the movement speed?

If you’ve finished it, do you get used to it? I’m so used to being able to push a button to run in platformers, and that doesn’t exist in Shovel Knight. It’s probably for the better, but I’m still having trouble getting used to it.

1 Like

I’ve more or less gotten used to the run speed. I’m playing on a 3ds and I just bought all of the armors. The deflection minigame is fun and the town has a lot of very funny characters. Super Best Friend Cast does a pretty nice playthrough of the game, and it’s really funny and some of the technical aspects are brought up.

Most of the game’s colors are available on the NES system (except for a few minor things, like the chemistry backdrop in one of the stages among others). I think the ‘added’ feature of a crouching option is hilarious. You press down and he moves down maybe 1 pixel. It is small nuances like these that really make me like this game.

I wish the upgrade system were not based on finding those meal tickets. :\

1 Like

I played this game pretty much in one long pleasant addictive sitting! I was never a console gamer as a child (I was on the MS-DOS games) so I don’t really have a strong nostalgia connection to it. Nevertheless I still appreciated the style. Although it seems a simple game , in reality the mechanics seem really really fine-tuned, it’s a real joy to play, upgarde abilities and do all the cool things. I played it a while ago so my memory is a bit hazy… but I seem to remember really appreciating the different level “styles” kinda like the old MegaMan games.
Like a sweet juicy cheesburger, the game didn’t have much depth or story or profound atmosphere, but that wasn’t the point. It was just great clean fun and I couldn’t put it down til I finished it, and I enjoyed it immensely, it was delicious and a quick sugar hit but I don’t think I’ll be putting it on my “favourites of all time” list or telling my grandkids about it.
A particular highlight for me was the cool weird whale-fish-thing when he did his magical synchronised dance. Also the incredible puns from the frog guy (I think).
So many beautiful little details.

I heard about the upcoming weird Plague of Shadows expansion thing. Not sure, although I loved it and I’m sure I’d like this new add-on, I’m not sure whether I’ll actually bother with it, or at least I won’t prioritise it on my endless blacklog. Anyone have thoughts about this “sequel” ?

1 Like

I love Shovel Knight, but I’ll focus in on a couple things that make the game stand out to me.

The story and personality of NPCs makes turns the fun levels into a great game. With a Mario style overworld, it is surprising how well everything strings together. There are reasons to revisit corners of the map and there was a drive to push forward.

I think the checkpoint system is great. Each level has at least 4 or 5 which allows them to put difficult challenges between each one. I died so much while playing this game and Plague of Shadows, and it took a lot longer for me to get mad because of the regular checkpoints. Also, giving the player the ability to destroy checkpoints for money is fun way to turn up the challenge for a bigger reward.

1 Like

I started the Plague content this week. I’ll save most of my thoughts for the actual game club episode, but my first impressions are mixed. The controls are very, very, very different from the normal character. It is off putting and will take some getting used to. The content is all free though, so it won’t set you back anything if you end up not enjoying it.

1 Like

I barely scratched the surface of Shovel Knight, beat the first boss who I felt was pretty tough, anyone else think so for a first boss? Or am I just a crappy gamer. I did pick up this game right after playing Super Meat Boy so I thought my platforming skills were up.

The Megaman style is awesome and I love the music.

1 Like

I want to say I didn’t think the first boss was too tough, but the second one was the one I had the most trouble with so far in the game. I don’t know if I got better at the game, or if the later bosses are just easier, but I haven’t had much trouble with anyone after that second boss.

1 Like

Just an FYI, we’re going to be recording the episode in the next few days, so if you want to get any comments or questions in, either post them here, or send an email to podcast@grouvee.com.

1 Like

Give the episode a listen and let us know what you think!
http://gameclub.grouvee.com/episodes/19219-grouvee-game-club-episode-3-shovel-knight

2 Likes

Just finished listening.

That music is so damn good. Gets me hyped!
Well edited. Thumbs up!

Not really much else to say. I agree on many points about the level design. I haven’t had the opportunity to touch Plague content (currently playing a ton of Binding of Isaac Afterbirth), but the relic return system sounds like a really funny, nice touch. It’s pretty comical. More games need to add these little things! It’s these things that let you know the game was made with care and love and that makes it so much more fun to play. You don’t need to spend a billion dollars on graphics, you just need a funny angle. Exhibit A. YouTube

I suggest E.V.O. Search for Eden as the next one on the list! I know you guys would have lots of fun with it.

2 Likes